Stuff You've Just Bought

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Apple have been up to no good
It's hardly up to no good. It's the way the system works. I used to be able to wrench my own bikes - from the mid 1980s more and more units were sealed and then the IT arrived.

Plus ca change I think :dunno:

Frideswide

Staff member
Is that a euphemism?? It's always about sex with you :mad:

"Darling I'm too tired how about I give you a frog mug?" :D
BRILLIANT!!!!!!

He's always wanted one and balked at the price for a non-dishwasher treat for himself. He's very practical which is lovely.

So I got one for less than £15 all in! Even better the "frog" looks vaguely mutant or cryptid or something!

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
If companies get there way no one will be allowed to repair electronics and companies in the us have tried to make it illegal but have not been successful and they could pull that stunt in the uk.
Nah they are covered by "voiding the warranty by opening the box" - which is fair enough.

Why do you think makeing backups of DVDs/blurays and CDs went from Legal to illegal the government bent over backwards to appease the film and music industry and all it takes is a donation/ bribe to whoever is in power so companies can and do influence governments to make laws that befits companies but screw over the consumer.
I'm all for preventing piracy. I know a few people in the film industry, (sound and lighting techs mostly) and music industry and despite popular opinion it isn't that easy to get work and piracy effects everyone. Just because you make a copy for yourself doesn't mean that someone else isn't going to flog 10 copies to their mates.

Frideswide

Staff member

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Nah they are covered by "voiding the warranty by opening the box" - which is fair enough.

I'm all for preventing piracy. I know a few people in the film industry, (sound and lighting techs mostly) and music industry and despite popular opinion it isn't that easy to get work and piracy effects everyone. Just because you make a copy for yourself doesn't mean that someone else isn't going to flog 10 copies to their mates.
No one can prevent piracy because someone will always find a way to break drm and freetards are going to feetard no matter how much a movie and album/game costs.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
It's hardly up to no good. It's the way the system works. I used to be able to wrench my own bikes - from the mid 1980s more and more units were sealed and then the IT arrived.

Plus ca change I think :dunno:
I hate this crap it feels like you are just paying for license to use products instead own and I think people should be allowed to do what they like with the things that they paid for especially game consoles any one who dares hack there console to put emulators will get there console bricked or banned.

Frideswide

Staff member
No one can prevent piracy because someone will always find a way to break drm and freetards are going to feetard no matter how much a movie and album/game costs.
all law is because people do it. Shall we junk laws on murder? drink driving? burglary?

I don't sell embroidery designs now because the thieves stole them. I managed to take one woman to court over what she did and - she paid heavily for it but it didn't compensate for me.

I hate this crap it feels like you are just paying for license to use products instead own and I think people should be allowed to do what they like with the things that they paid for especially game consoles any one who dares hack there console to put emulators will get there console bricked or banned.
it feels like that because that is what it is - you are buying a license.

To use your example - people should be free to use what they have bought - should I charge hundreds of pounds for a single piece of paper with a design on it? That's what the design is worth to me. How else will I earn enough to keep body and soul together?

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
all law is because people do it. Shall we junk laws on murder? drink driving? burglary?

I don't sell embroidery designs now because the thieves stole them. I managed to take one woman to court over what she did and - she paid heavily for it but it didn't compensate for me.

it feels like that because that is what it is - you are buying a license.

To use your example - people should be free to use what they have bought - should I charge hundreds of pounds for a single piece of paper with a design on it? That's what the design is worth to me. How else will I earn enough to keep body and soul together?
I'm not saying no one should make any profit I just think all this drm crap has gotten out of control and license that doesn't allow any form of modifying or self repair that's with in reson hell printers have drm for ink cartridges the stops people from using third party ink cartridges.

I'm not saying no one should make any profit I just think all this drm crap has gotten out of control and license that doesn't allow any form of modifying or self repair that's with in reson hell printers have drm for ink cartridges the stops people from using third party ink cartridges.
There's a difference (perhaps) between taking someone's intellectual property for personal gain (like Frides' embroidery patterns) and the use of such a justification for gouging consumers, e.g. printer cartridges and making consumer products 'non-serviceable". The latter is a triumph of greed over the use of dwindling resources.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I agree with Megadeth that computer manufacturers shouldn't render parts irreplaceable by soldering them in, or by making it impossible to open the case. Of course they have a perfect legal right to - it's just a dick move.

I've just bought this kind of magic paper which is used for practicing writing Chinese characters. You paint on it with water using a brush, and it looks like black ink. The 'ink' fades as the water dries out.

Frideswide

Staff member
There's a difference (perhaps) between taking someone's intellectual property for personal gain (like Frides' embroidery patterns) and the use of such a justification for gouging consumers, e.g. printer cartridges and making consumer products 'non-serviceable". The latter is a triumph of greed over the use of dwindling resources.
totally! Which is why making blanket statements about it is so irritating. Conflating action against theft and dickery is....... unhelpful!
I'm not saying no one should make any profit

Lets look at my example. Pre-internet I could produce an embroidery design and, apart from photocopiers, expect to sell about 600 of them over 5 years at £2 each. (all figures rounded lol)

£1200 total

of that, there is maybe 5p at most in clear profit

£5 over 5 years

Today, if I release a chart, it will be on file sharing sites within a month and sales will be 50 units if I'm very lucky.

OK Megadeth, work out how much I need to charge per chart to make the same as before?

The price of charts from new indie designers has a top limit. So you can't go over £5 a chart.
Now imagine I am stupid enough to believe I should pay myself .25 minimum wage.

Does this come under you heading of "people making some profit?

By the way, the people uploading the charts know exactly what they are doing. They say things like "we can and we will" "you'll never take our freedom" "fuck you dirty freeloader" and "it is better to give than to receive". Not forgetting the ever popular "I know my rights".

Frideswide

Staff member
I've just bought this kind of magic paper which is used for practicing writing Chinese characters. You paint on it with water using a brush, and it looks like black ink. The 'ink' fades as the water dries out.
oooh! could you link to some? :)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Sent off for some magnet strips which arrived today. You peel off the backing and position the strip on a surface where you want to hang up metal things like small tools. I fancied them for small sewing and craft items that disappear the second you take your eyes off them.

First strip has been installed. You're advise to leave it for a day for the glue to set. Can't wait to clutter it up!
Next one is going on my sewing machine.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
totally! Which is why making blanket statements about it is so irritating. Conflating action against theft and dickery is....... unhelpful!

Lets look at my example. Pre-internet I could produce an embroidery design and, apart from photocopiers, expect to sell about 600 of them over 5 years at £2 each. (all figures rounded lol)

£1200 total

of that, there is maybe 5p at most in clear profit

£5 over 5 years

Today, if I release a chart, it will be on file sharing sites within a month and sales will be 50 units if I'm very lucky.

OK Megadeth, work out how much I need to charge per chart to make the same as before?

The price of charts from new indie designers has a top limit. So you can't go over £5 a chart.
Now imagine I am stupid enough to believe I should pay myself .25 minimum wage.

Does this come under you heading of "people making some profit?

By the way, the people uploading the charts know exactly what they are doing. They say things like "we can and we will" "you'll never take our freedom" "fuck you dirty freeloader" and "it is better to give than to receive". Not forgetting the ever popular "I know my rights".
what hell is that for theres no need to be argumentative and im sorry that you cant accept the fact that you can not control what people do.

Frideswide

Staff member
what hell is that for theres no need to be argumentative and im sorry that you cant accept the fact that you can not control what people do.
this is a discussion board. You have made statements which conflate two different things. I've asked you to work through the figures to support your arguments.

It has nothing to do with "controlling what people do" and everything to do with "educating people so that they might make different and less damaging choices."

There little to no relationship between what Coal called manufacturers making dick moves above on the one hand, and stealing the results of people's labour on the other.

Abusing copyright is like shoplifting. People (mostly) have a choice to do it or not. And nobody steals my stuff in order to put food on the table, they steal because they don't know, they can't be arsed, and they don't care.

I am sorry your hardware died - but please do not misrepresent what I post.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Three books, 20% off the price in the Boxing Day Sales - Best Foot Forward by Adam Hills, Educated by Tara Westover and Inside The Third Reich by Albert Speer. The first on the list looks funny, the second and third books look really depressing, although interesting at the same time...

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
The following DVDs (20% off in the sales) - Avatar The Last Airbender anime series (books One, Two and Three) and Evangelion (One, Two and Three). Since there's nowt but utter crap cricket on Australian TV at the moment, I know what I will be watching!