Stuff You've Just Bought

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Last night I popped out & bought Techy a new bike computer. Gave him a basic one a couple of years ago which really got him into t'cycling. This one's really posh and does all sorts of clever stuff.

While I was out I also picked up a new seat for our outside loo. Tried to install it tonight but it doesn't fit. The connections don't match up with the holes in the porcelain. I'm furious.

However, the old one was OK, it was just coming loose all the time. So I took it off and refitted the bolts, screwing them in really hard with my new pliers. Hoping it'll stay put now. Will take the other one back.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Last night I popped out & bought Techy a new bike computer. Gave him a basic one a couple of years ago which really got him into t'cycling. This one's really posh and does all sorts of clever stuff.
I bought an Aldi one a couple of days ago for a fiver. Prior to that I had a Lidl one which was also about a fiver & lasted about 3 years & more than 6000 miles through summer/winter, rain/cold & all.

The Aldi one packed up on first outing. Started off OK up to 7k then stopped recording & hasn't restarted although the computer still shows the various different displays..

I've got to venture East again to my nearest Aldi to change/get refund.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Lost a few tiles on re-entry..
Yesterday we bought some wide-fitting orthopaedic shoes so that I can wear my clunky plastic ankle braces (or ankle scaffolding as I like to call em') without stretching my normal shoes.

I felt a bit guilty at the cost thought - £82 :wide:... its flippin' expensive being disabled.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteBirdie certificated Princess
Staff member
oooooooooh! my mate has EDS and wears something that might be the same as your scaffolding - she calls it armour :D

either here or in PM could you say where you got the shoes from? pretty please?

Schrodinger's Zebra

oooooooooh! my mate has EDS and wears something that might be the same as your scaffolding - she calls it armour :D

either here or in PM could you say where you got the shoes from? pretty please?

They were from a mobility aids store... a shop that sells all sorts of mobility / disability aids (as well as shoes they sell reclining chairs / mobility scooters / walkers / tipping kettles / easy-grip cutlery / etc etc).

This sort of shop: https://www.clearwellmobility.co.uk/footwear/slippers-shoes/

I'm sure if there's one near your friend they will also sell such shoes :) I would imagine that these sorts of stores are fairly common throughout the UK. Oh and... if she isn't already aware (cos I wasn't at first) because she has a long-term permanent disability she will be able to get VAT relief from purchases of things like this. It helps a bit!

Schrodinger's Zebra

ta! I'll pass that one. Her main problem is that she has teensy feet, sometimes a child size, but now they are very wide! :rollingw:
Ah but that means she gets to pick from children's shoes (I do that too.. at times... my shoe size is 4.5 but I normally have to get a 5 cos 4.5 is harder to find). :D

She might be able to find wide shoes online... could be a bit cheaper, ya know? If she knows what 'wideness' she needs that is. I didn't realise until we went shopping for these shoes that there isn't just 'normal' and 'wide' but there are varying degrees of wideness.

(Yes wideness is a word cos I've just made it up) :)

Tigerhawk

Resistance is futile!
Wideness is a word.

Width is a mere measurement of girth or broadness.

Wideness is remarkable width.

Example:

When the party retired to the privacy of Yith's bedroom, all three young women were pleasantly surprised by the wideness on display.
View attachment 17518
And Yith woke up, he was alone, and it was all a dream...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
A little set of half a dozen photos from eBay

I don't yet know whether the soldiers shown are Singaporeans or the Malay Regt, but my impression is that we're looking at about 1952-53 in Malaya and they're being instructed on 25-pdrs.

I'm keen for them to arrive in the mail so I can get out the magnifying glass and start the detective work.

Here's one of the preview pics.
s-l1600.jpg

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Ghost Stories by Zachery Knowles from Amazon
Credible Witness by Andy Gilbert from Amazon
Investigating the truth behind MIB the Men in Black Phenomenon by Jenny Randles from Amazon

And two X Files novels hardback Ground Zero and Ruins, a £1 each from Cancer Research

I have started the first one, but have a habit of reading them at night and scaring myself shitless, good stories tho

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I used to read scary true story stuff before bed when I was little, it's a miracle I got any sleep at all. This despite EVERYONE knowing you must NEVER read about ghosts and space aliens before bed. Like eating cheese, I suppose.

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
Frederick Forsyth's latest novel 'The Fox' to read on an 8 hour flight the week after next (just in case the in flight movies are rubbish).

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
But what if the in flight movies are Krull, Plan 9 From Outer Space, The Giant Claw or Tarantula?!
Then the book shall wait until my destination (Singapore). As I'm there for 14 nights, there'll be ample time to read it. I almost watched Plan 9 just the other night on Amazon Prime but it refused to load for me citing some error number, not once but twice, so I gave up.