Stuff You've Just Bought

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Then the book shall wait until my destination (Singapore). As I'm there for 14 nights, there'll be ample time to read it. I almost watched Plan 9 just the other night on Amazon Prime but it refused to load for me citing some error number, not once but twice, so I gave up.
I was there earlier this year and another regular member is just getting back.

I'd be happy to read your reflections on the place once your trip is over.

I came away with a positive impression of the place, and I wish I'd been able to managed fourteen nights.

For the record, my holiday reading was Graham Greene.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Frederick Forsyth's latest novel 'The Fox' to read on an 8 hour flight the week after next (just in case the in flight movies are rubbish).
In flight movies are an abomination since they're generally cut and censored to comply with the PG audience standard.

The precise amounts of cuts and edits seems to differ between various airlines depending on what country they're based in.

If you're watching a film like Toy Story or Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed then you're probably going to be watching the standard theatrical cut.

But if you're watching àn action film or horror film or sci-fi film then it's likely to be cut to shreds.

So your far better off bringing along your paperback edition of The Complete Works of The Marquis de Sade, or Miss Marple and the Case of the Vicar and Tarts Key Swap Party, and reading it in the comfort of your seat.

If necessary, you can hide these books between the covers of OK Magazine - a truly obscene periodical strangely obsessed with Peter Andre. (You know, that guy who had a couple of bland hit singles back in the 90's and has been strangely famous ever since.)

Watching a film on an airplane is like drinking soup on a rollercoaster. Sounds like fun. Ends up being regrettable.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I used to read scary true story stuff before bed when I was little, it's a miracle I got any sleep at all. This despite EVERYONE knowing you must NEVER read about ghosts and space aliens before bed. Like eating cheese, I suppose.
Heh yup, I was a precocious reader and would devour my father's books on all aspects of the paranormal when I was far too young.

Scared myself so much that I didn't dare go to the bathroom at night and sometimes wet the bed!

I knew what the problem was and cured it by cutting out the spook-books at bedtime. A big sacrifice.

As an adult I've heard people jokingly say 'Ooh it's a scary book, you'll wet the bed!' so it wasn't just me.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Two wooden medium sized African masks from Oxfam for £6.99 each. Obviously made for the tourist market but quite interesting designs. One will need hanging but the other is curved enough to stand up on its own.

I did initially think them a tad pricey but I have seen many similar items in much poorer condition being flogged on eBay for far more.

Also for 50p a DVD I have never heard of called Cerberus The Guardian Of Hell. Judging from the description it sounds appalling. I quote:

Young curator Samantha Gaines awaits the breastplate worn by Atilla The Hun thousands of years ago. The drawings on the breastplate are directions on how to find Atilla's sword and become invincible. Samantha is the only one left who can translate the etchings and she ultimately finds the tomb in which Atilla was buried.

When the sword is released from the tomb it unknowingly unleashes a thousand year old three headed dog with the tail of a serpent named Cerberus who ends up out in the Romanian streets reeking (sic) havoc and viciously slaughtering the innocent.

It is up to Samantha and whoever is tough enough to survive to end it, and the only way to do so is with the sword.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Two wooden medium sized African masks from Oxfam for £6.99 each. Obviously made for the tourist market but quite interesting designs. One will need hanging but the other is curved enough to stand up on its own.

I did initially think them a tad pricey but I have seen many similar items in much poorer condition being flogged on eBay for far more.

Also for 50p a DVD I have never heard of called Cerberus The Guardian Of Hell. Judging from the description it sounds appalling. I quote:

Young curator Samantha Gaines awaits the breastplate worn by Atilla The Hun thousands of years ago. The drawings on the breastplate are directions on how to find Atilla's sword and become invincible. Samantha is the only one left who can translate the etchings and she ultimately finds the tomb in which Atilla was buried.

When the sword is released from the tomb it unknowingly unleashes a thousand year old three headed dog with the tail of a serpent named Cerberus who ends up out in the Romanian streets reeking (sic) havoc and viciously slaughtering the innocent.

It is up to Samantha and whoever is tough enough to survive to end it, and the only way to do so is with the sword.
I can't understand how this movie isn't a popular classic!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
A new bookcase--oak with glass fronts that open vertically and slide inwards.

It was expensive, but I got a good discount as it was in the sale. It's a shade taller than me (5'10'') and will house my military history collection.

(Outlined in red. I already have three of the three-shelf version in a different wood)

2_5502.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Sorry, that wasn't Apart-height, my mental image of Forum members is still hugely influenced by their avatar (Mods are naturally tall because they radiate authority). Everyone recently seems to have changed their avatar - it's disconcerting.
Rest assured, I'm staying with the bellydancing snail.