Stuff You've Just Bought

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
I got some just last week, made by acscustom.com & moulded to the shape of your ear canal. They're my 3rd set. I got the -17db option. Are yours from the same people?

I said are yours from the same people?
Ooh no not that posh. Just enough to help me sleep in a hotel.

I never sleep properly anywhere other than at home.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Last week I was sucked into a fabric shop and rashly selected certain fine products. Staff kindly advised me to pop back for them later in the week when the sale was on. I did, and bore home my cut-price booty. So yesterday I made 8 new head-tubes for work and cycling and 4 lovely girly dust masks* for bike rides on those long hot gnat-rich trails.

Plenty of stuff left to make more. You can buy perfectly nice head tubes but they're all rather masculine. Yesterday's are pink and flowery.

*Deep pink with glittery bows. Wore one for my commute this morning, worked a treat. No insects up the nose or down the shirt.

graylien

Justified & Ancient
A pair of 10cm tall allegedly "vintage African'" drums from eBay. Obviously made for the tourist market. They both have a stone inside which rattles when you shake the drum. What's that about?

Apparently made from animal skin. I'm almost a vegetarian myself, but if some African guy needs to keep some goats for basic sustenance then turns their hides into drums then I'm not going to get all moralistic about it. It's hardly as if I'm driving round the bush in a Humvee shooting lions for kicks.

They were originally about £16 inc postage, but no-one was bidding. I offered the guy a tenner, and to my surprise he accepted right away.

254199950600_1.jpg

MercuryCrest

Justified & Ancient
I just bought my first drone. It's a little thing, mainly for when I need to get a bird's eye view when I'm out hiking, looking for a landmark or what-have-you. Basically, something I can throw in my day pack and forget about until I need it.

The company doesn't make 'em any more, but there are plenty of new ones available through resellers. It's a Zerotech Dobby. Friend of mine took one on a trip to Ireland and showed me the vids it caught. Looks like it'll be perfect for my needs.

Tigerhawk

Resistance is futile!
The Kung Fu Legends Box Set containing
The Big Boss (Bruce Lee)
Last Hurrah For Chivalry (written by John Woo)
Encounters Of The Spooky Kind (Sammo Hung)
Project A (Jackie Chan)
Once Upon A Time In China (Jet Li)
Iron Monkey (Donnie Yen)

also The Black Cat starring Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi!

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
The Kung Fu Legends Box Set containing
The Big Boss (Bruce Lee)
Last Hurrah For Chivalry (written by John Woo)
Encounters Of The Spooky Kind (Sammo Hung)
Project A (Jackie Chan)
Once Upon A Time In China (Jet Li)
Iron Monkey (Donnie Yen)

also The Black Cat starring Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi!
You could of got the project a parts 1&2 boxset and the once upon a in China trilogy boxset and these are remastered from new 2k scans.last hurrah for chivalry is coming out soon and there a Bruce lee boxset on 4K I think and unfortunately there no new uk release of Encounters of the spooky kind and iron monkey been out on blue ray for a while now in the uk.

Tigerhawk

Resistance is futile!
You could of got the project a parts 1&2 boxset and the once upon a in China trilogy boxset and these are remastered from new 2k scans.last hurrah for chivalry is coming out soon and there a Bruce lee boxset on 4K I think and unfortunately there no new uk release of Encounters of the spooky kind and iron monkey been out on blue ray for a while now in the uk.
I have Project A parts one and two, and the Bruce Lee collection, it's the others I don't have, and I didn't see the others mentioned during my quick-during-lunch-break stampede at the shops...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
A new bookcase--oak with glass fronts that open vertically and slide inwards.

It was expensive, but I got a good discount as it was in the sale. It's a shade taller than me (5'10'') and will house my military history collection.

(Outlined in red. I already have three of the three-shelf version in a different wood)

View attachment 17669
Now received and fully stocked!

For the first time in years I have this half of my library shelved (the other half is in storage back in Blighty). After a lot of donkey work I've set up the dining room to double as a reading spot (large bean-bag not in shot).

SmartSelect_20190606-223152_Gallery.jpg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I have visions of Yith reclining on his bean bag in front of a crackling fire with a whisky in one hand a cigar in the other and a book in his free hand. And he’ll be wearing one of those hats with the tassle on.
Always loved the idea of smoking, but having tried cigars, pipes and the old cancerous death-sticks themselves, I just can't get the experience to chime with my mental impression of what it should be like.

It's foul.

Oh, and Mrs Yith would murder me.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
I toyed with joining the British Antarctic survey once and had visions of myself in a big thick wool sweater with a pipe. However, far too sensible to have ever smoked, pauses to polish halo.
My mate works there - he just wears jeans and t-shirts, sadly. It's just not that cold in Cambridge I guess.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
Always loved the idea of smoking, but having tried cigars, pipes and the old cancerous death-sticks themselves, I just can't get the experience to chime with my mental impression of what it should be like.

It's foul.

Oh, and Mrs Yith would murder me.
Why, my good Sir, you should furnish yourself with a Hookah forthwith.

titch

Justified & Ancient
I have visions of Yith reclining on his bean bag in front of a crackling fire with a whisky in one hand a cigar in the other and a book in his free hand. And he’ll be wearing one of those hats with the tassle on.
And wearing a smoking jacket (or his rain coat turned inside out)