Stuff You've Just Bought

graylien

Justified & Ancient
A pair of small Egyptian style cat ornaments that I bought from a Chinese seller on eBay for £2.50 arrived today.

Although they're so cheap they actually look pretty stylish.

Sadly although the white cat is fine, the black cat's head has broken off.

Tomorrow I'll message the seller with a photo and ask for a replacement. If they start any shenanigans about me posting it back to China then I'll just get the superglue out and try to fix it myself.

Also in Tescos this evening they had a reduced shelf of sandwiches that were about to go out of date. Among them was a ploughman's baguette reduced from £2.50 to 50p.Bargain! I love a ploughman's baguette.

Then when I got home and added the receipt to my expenses app, I noticed they'd charged me the whole £2.50!

I didn't even get to eat the baguette since I gave it to this really frail looking homeless girl I encountered on my walk home.

Corporate buggers!

Then when I got home and added the receipt to my expenses app, I noticed they'd charged me the whole £2.50!
Sometimes the worker doesn't cover the old bar code up with the reduced label and the machine reads it.
This happens to me now and then and I ALWAYS go back and get the refund. In fact I've learned to check the receipt before leaving.

graylien

Justified & Ancient
Sometimes the worker doesn't cover the old bar code up with the reduced label and the machine reads it.
This happens to me now and then and I ALWAYS go back and get the refund. In fact I've learned to check the receipt before leaving.
Yeah you're quite right, I should have checked the receipt before leaving. It's just that if there's a queue of people waiting inpatiently behind me I feel a bit pressurised to just take my receipt and change and walk out ASAP.

If I buy any reduced items in the future I think I'll use a self service machine. That way I can proceed at my own pace and if I notice any discrepencies I can call a staff member over to sort it out.

Only a couple of quid but it's the principle that annoys me.

Yeah you're quite right, I should have checked the receipt before leaving. It's just that if there's a queue of people waiting inpatiently behind me I feel a bit pressurised to just take my receipt and change and walk out ASAP.

If I buy any reduced items in the future I think I'll use a self service machine. That way I can proceed at my own pace and if I notice any discrepencies I can call a staff member over to sort it out.

Only a couple of quid but it's the principle that annoys me.
You can go back another day for the refund if you keep the paperwork. I recently did this over a sarnie that'd been marked down at a railway station M&S. Only had time to check the receipt on the train and spotted the error as I headed 100 miles home.
Kept the box and receipt for my next trip up there and had it sorted.

graylien

Justified & Ancient
You can go back another day for the refund if you keep the paperwork. I recently did this over a sarnie that'd been marked down at a railway station M&S. Only had time to check the receipt on the train and spotted the error as I headed 100 miles home.
Kept the box and receipt for my next trip up there and had it sorted.
Yeah, I did still have the receipt but I didn't still have the baguette package as I'd given the baguette to the homeless girl. So I had no proof that the item had been reduced.

Never mind. I'll just be more careful checking the receipt in store in the future.

graylien

Justified & Ancient
Well I received a reply from the eBay seller about the cat figurine (one of a pair - actually £2.86) whose head had broken off:

"Hi, Friend,
We are sorry the goods was broken.
All of our items will be double checked by our QC department before the shipment.
We thought there must be broken during the long distance transportation.
You don't worry, we will take full responsibilities,
how about we give you 30% refund as your compensation?
and you could stick it with glue.
what's your opinion?
waiting for your reply and have a nice day."

My immediate thought was to say "How about you give me 50% compensation or send me a new goddam cat?"

But Iife's too short to get into a protracted argument over 57 pence so I accepted her offer.

It does look like quite a clean break, so maybe even with my appalling superglue skills I'll be able to get the head back on without gluing my fingers together yet again.

Yeah, I did still have the receipt but I didn't still have the baguette package as I'd given the baguette to the homeless girl. So I had no proof that the item had been reduced.

Never mind. I'll just be more careful checking the receipt in store in the future.
That wouldn't put me off! I'd say 'this is the receipt, I didn't check it until the packaging'd gone, it should have been 50p.' They'd believe you.
Tell yourself it's so you can put the difference towards another baguette for the homeless girl.

graylien

Justified & Ancient
Yeah you may be right, but I've had a bad experience at that Tescos before.

Basically the till operator short changed me by a fiver. When I mentioned it, she called this really shrewish manager lady over.

The shrew interrogated me like I was a criminal then told me to come back 2 hours later by which time they'd have reconciled the till. I did so and was begrudgingly handed my fiver back.

Maybe I'll just stick to Morrisons. Whenever anything goes wrong there, they're as nice as pie about it.

Haven't seen the homeless girl since, so hopefully they've sorted her out a room at a hostel or something.

graylien

Justified & Ancient
Well the cat ornament lady came through with her 30% refund. I decided not to risk superglue, which I have a bad history with, and instead stuck the cat's head back on with a little dab of Blu-tack. It actually looks OK. So that's all good.

Have bought a few George Shearing CDs (all two albums on one CD) from eBay. They were very cheap and all arrived quickly and in excellent condition.

Also today I received a carbon monoxide alarm to replace one which mysteriously vanished from my room about a week after I'd politely emailed my landlords asking them to send me a gas safety certificate for the gas boiler next to my room, since the last one I received from them was 14 months out of date.

(They're legally required to have the boiler serviced every 12 months and send copies of the safety certificate to all tenants within 28 days.)

Rather oddly, the mysterious thief completely ignored my laptop, Samsung Galaxy mobile phone, DAB radio, mini Hi-Fi, jar full of pound coins, and two Bluetooth speakers, which were all in full view.

Unfortunately the eBay seller didn't have the exact same model in stock. The replacement is almost identical, but requires 3 AA batteries rather than having an 10 year internal lithium battery. I think the AA batteries last about a year, so that's not too bad.

I'm going to hold off on buying things for a while now and try and save a bit of money up.

I was going to save up for a Denon mini Hi-Fi which has received rave reviews, but the cheap Panasonic I bought from Argos a while back when my old Sony broke down actually sounds surprisingly decent.

graylien

Justified & Ancient
@graylien Any chance of a picture of the cats? :)

And good call on the carbon monoxide alarm. Also GRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Ignore my previous reply. I've just found a picture of them on Ebay. They're made of resin and are 7cm tall.

There are loads of traders selling them for around £3 the pair, but they all seem to be based in China. So if you order some yourself, they may arrive broken. As I say, mine had a clean break and it's barely noticeable now I've stuck it back together.

s-l400.jpg

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I bought a black widow slingshot from a co worker for the bargain price of a tenner and with a bag of ball bearings. I've no idea what I'm going to shoot it at yet but I've wanted one since I was 10 .. he says he's cleared Blickling Lake shooting across it with this little beauty.

Ignore my previous reply. I've just found a picture of them on Ebay. They're made of resin and are 7cm tall.

There are loads of traders selling them for around £3 the pair, but they all seem to be based in China. So if you order some yourself, they may arrive broken. As I say, mine had a clean break and it's barely noticeable now I've stuck it back together.

View attachment 18061
They look most annoyed at your efforts.