Stuff You've Just Bought

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Just great my old raspberry ip 3 b power connecter just snapped off so I've had order a new one wich is the B + version I was planning on testing the screen to make sure it's not got any problems.

Last edited:

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I'm quietly excited as I have just ordered a new camera. It is a Fuji refurbished X100F.

I have had a Fuji refurbished previously, an excellent camera with no problems whatsoever.

This, brand new is around £1,200 but refurbished it is at the moment £849. It is a huge amount for me to pay for a camera.

It has a fixed lens, therefore is ideal for travel. Apparently it is used by pro journalists, so it can't be too shabby. I reckon when I get it, I will have quite a learning curve getting used to it.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Bought a new touch-screen for my wife's Archos tablet. From Japan, £11.99 post free. It arrived within a week in a very safe package.

Local phone fixers replaced the screen for £20.

So, £32 all in. Better than replacing the unit.

INT21.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
I know I said I wasn't going to buy anything more but I really wanted a new kettle as my old one became totally clogged up with limescale and this was affecting the taste of my tea.

I tried boiling it with vinegar. I tried scubbing it out. But nothing worked. I refuse to use those chemical limescale removers since I'm very wary around harsh cleaning chemicals.

I want a stainless steel kettle, because when you boil water in a plastic kettle, the plastic leeches into the water and over time builds up inside your body.

So I find a nice little stainless steel kettle on eBay for £19.99.

It arrives within a few days and works perfectly fine.

Then today I receive another exactly identical kettle. It has been posted from an Amazon distribution centre in Luxembourg. Clearly the seller has accidentally processed my order twice.

Now if I'd ordered it from some giant corporation like Argos or Currys I'd just have kept quiet about it.

But the seller is based in China, has a very limited product range, and has only sold 5 items in the few months he's been on eBay.

I imagine he's some chap living in a tiny flat trying to make a few quid for himself by selling the odd kettle. It doesn't seem fair for me to rip him off.

So I go on the Royal Mail website and find it would cost £11 to send it back to the Luxembourg distribution centre by secure tracked delivery.

I'm sure as hell not going to fork out £11 for someone else's mistake. And if the guy in China forks out £11 then he'll end up making a loss on the sale.

So I message him all this and say the only fair solution is for him to invoice me £19.99 for the second kettle and I'll store it away till the first kettle wears out.

I ain't Elon Musk and I could well do without forking out £19.99 for something I don't actually need right now.

12 hours later I still haven't heard back from the guy.

For some reason, everything I've done in the past month seems to have become needlessly convoluted.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Have you ever read 'Death of a civil servant' by Anton Chekov ?

Google it, it's quite short. Just a couple of pages.

And it shows what happens to people who become obsessed by this kind of thing.

INT21 :)

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Have you ever read 'Death of a civil servant' by Anton Chekov ?

Google it, it's quite short. Just a couple of pages.

And it shows what happens to people who become obsessed by this kind of thing.

INT21 :)
Yes, I have read most of Chekov's short stories including the one you mention.

In what way am I "obsessed"?

Frankly I find your reply unnecessary and offensive.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I know I said I wasn't going to buy anything more but I really wanted a new kettle as my old one became totally clogged up with limescale and this was affecting the taste of my tea.

I tried boiling it with vinegar. I tried scubbing it out. But nothing worked. I refuse to use those chemical limescale removers since I'm very wary around harsh cleaning chemicals.

I want a stainless steel kettle, because when you boil water in a plastic kettle, the plastic leeches into the water and over time builds up inside your body.

So I find a nice little stainless steel kettle on eBay for £19.99.

It arrives within a few days and works perfectly fine.

Then today I receive another exactly identical kettle. It has been posted from an Amazon distribution centre in Luxembourg. Clearly the seller has accidentally processed my order twice.

Now if I'd ordered it from some giant corporation like Argos or Currys I'd just have kept quiet about it.

But the seller is based in China, has a very limited product range, and has only sold 5 items in the few months he's been on eBay.

I imagine he's some chap living in a tiny flat trying to make a few quid for himself by selling the odd kettle. It doesn't seem fair for me to rip him off.

So I go on the Royal Mail website and find it would cost £11 to send it back to the Luxembourg distribution centre by secure tracked delivery.

I'm sure as hell not going to fork out £11 for someone else's mistake. And if the guy in China forks out £11 then he'll end up making a loss on the sale.

So I message him all this and say the only fair solution is for him to invoice me £19.99 for the second kettle and I'll store it away till the first kettle wears out.

I ain't Elon Musk and I could well do without forking out £19.99 for something I don't actually need right now.

12 hours later I still haven't heard back from the guy.

For some reason, everything I've done in the past month seems to have become needlessly convoluted.
Your story reminds me of my own little episode with the human ashes. You come across a problem and you try to sort it in an honest way, and end up thinking why did I bother...

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
I have finally acquired a fabulously scarce Meccano 9A accessory set to upgrade my early 60's Light Red and Green Meccano to the fabled No. 10 Set. Trouble is, its in such original condition (and extremely scarce) that I'm not sure I can bring myself to unstrung it.

This probably ought to go in the 'how did your parents screw you up' thread. I've always tended to start collecting things since quite young, something my mother never got her head around, and every now and then she'd decide I didn't need all those old toys and give them away to neighbours with younger children. She never could grasp why I got angry. My Scalextric, my Meccano, several collections of cigarette cards (from my Grandad who worked for WD&HO Wills), bubble gum cards . Once even my Triang and Hornby trains.

Last edited:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Your story reminds me of my own little episode with the human ashes. You come across a problem and you try to sort it in an honest way, and end up thinking why did I bother...
I'd have thought even though you don't know the person, if their family can't be traced, scattering their ashes in a nice location with respect would be completely acceptable & the best thing to do in the circumstances. The person's family obviously didn't care enough to do so, or couldn't for some reason.

Good on you for trying though.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Greylien,

Please accept my apology.

I was not aware that what I considered to be a bit of fun would cause you distress. That was certainly not the intent.

It is always a problem when interacting with people who you do not know.

But, once again, my apology.

INT21

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I'd have thought even though you don't know the person, if their family can't be traced, scattering their ashes in a nice location with respect would be completely acceptable & the best thing to do in the circumstances. The person's family obviously didn't care enough to do so, or couldn't for some reason.

Good on you for trying though.
Yup, I did consider scattering but it's illegal without the landowner's permission. It's actually a littering offence with a £1,000 fine.
It wouldn't be appropriate to scatter them on my own land and I don't want to get in trouble! I'm not going to those lengths for someone I don't know.

Lewis the undertaker promised to sort if for me, bless him.

(When the Post Office clerk asked me what was in the package, I said 'Look at the address!' and she said Oh, I see...)

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Greylien,

Please accept my apology.

I was not aware that what I considered to be a bit of fun would cause you distress. That was certainly not the intent.

It is always a problem when interacting with people who you do not know.

But, once again, my apology.

INT21
This made me think of myself.
I'm forever offending people without meaning to !

escargot

Beloved of Ra
This made me think of myself.
I'm forever offending people without meaning to !
Some people are looking for offence. Can remember a newish poster on'ere telling us of some problem they'd had and a couple of us commiserating and getting foul abuse back for it. Apparently our well-intentioned sympathy was actually sarcasm.

Passive aggression, y'know. Once you know about it you never have to put up with it again.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Anyway... :botp:
(Spotted that recently and saw the opportunity to use it.)

Today I went to the local midweek car boot sale and made several astute purchases, including a pair of brand new pink Ugg clogs (yes that's PINK UGG CLOGS) and some laptop gadgets and assorted other bits of folks' rubbish.

Best buy however was the garden stuff. A round cast iron garden table with several chairs, also cast iron but mostly non-matching, which are good for the lawn as they won't kill the grass if I move them round a bit regularly.

They look satisfactorily shabby which gives me a good excuse to paint them up. They'll do up nicely and I will make toning cushions and a tablecloth for them.

Along with those was a big offcut of Astroturf. It's already gracing my patio and looks great, covering up my poorly-laid flagstones.

No human remains this week though.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Yeah, I did still have the receipt but I didn't still have the baguette package as I'd given the baguette to the homeless girl. So I had no proof that the item had been reduced.

Never mind. I'll just be more careful checking the receipt in store in the future.
Go anyway! There'll be a similar baguette for them to scan. Remember, you won't be the first person this has happened to.

Today I took back the top off a salad tub that had gone through at £2-odd instead of 56p or whatever at the petrol station.

The tub had gone but there was another on the shelf which the clerk scanned instead, and I had my refund of £1.70-odd and put the salad back for her afterwards.

(Last year Techy paid cash there and received £7 extra change. He knew it was too much and I took it back with the receipt. That sort of till error causes hours of trouble at cashing-up time when the funds don't balance. So the staff do know and trust us!)

MercuryCrest

Justified & Ancient
Just a project for my raspberry pi 3 b.
Nice! I've a similar project awaiting me, once I finally have time to work on it.

I was debating making the whole thing portable with a pico projector in a CNC-routed wooden skull (shining out the eye socket), but so far I've been unimpressed with even the large projectors, so it looks like I'm going to make a bar-top version instead with a built-in monitor.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
does ot let rain through, or does it run off?
Dunno yet. It's a loose weave with quite long 'grass' so rain should go through it onto the flagstones. They don't normally hold water so I'm not expecting any puddles.

We do have a real lawn too, we're not savages.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Another of the 2006 facsimile editions of the Agatha Christie novels.

The only non-original elements are the publication details and the removable part-length over-wrapper.

View attachment 18401 View attachment 18402
I think many of us have had the experience of encountering a glamourous bird rummaging through our drawers and thinking ‘How do I tactfully get to the telephone?’