Stuff You've Just Bought

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
'Confessions of an English Opium-Eater together with Selections From the Autobiography of Thomas De Quincey'.
Published 1950. £2.99 Oxfam.
There are actually two versions on Confessions of an English Opium-Eater: the first in 1821 and the revision in 1856.

The earlier being, in my opinion, notably superior.

Good price in either case.

Crocodiles!

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
A domain name. We were discussing games & puzzles with a sales rep this morning & a term came up in conversation that we all agreed would make a great name for an online store. We were surprised to find the name available, so I bought it.
Over the years I've owned hundreds of domain names, many I've used, some sold or traded, most simply expired.

henry

still speeding
exactly, naked lunch is a long hard unforgiving read, dead fingers talk in braille, as i insist on calling it, is drawn from same word pool, but the result is much more focussed and intelligible, tighter stronger read, shorter without being as dense as naked lunch, more driven, less chaotic and finally plus de noir

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Yesterday I rashly bought about 12 packs of cut-price fresh garden peas. Four packs are currently roasting in the oven with chili spice and another four are in the soup maker with spring onions, dried herbs and home-grown mint. Yum.

Edit: Oh my FLIP the roasted peas are good. Techy's popped out on errands. Not sure there'll be any left for him when he gets back so I'll have to do more.

They're not as crunchy as the ones you buy, maybe I could leave them cooking longer but I'm finding I like them a bit tender.

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I've just bought Chernobyl the TV series. Bracing myself to go ahead and watch it...perfect TV for a summer weekend!
A friend has ordered me to watch it telling me it's gripping from the start .. the Mrs says she found it boring and I trust both of their opinions .. don't know what to do now .. 80's nuclear holocaust meltdown lolz

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
New raspberry pi 3 b+ I some how frid my old one and a new hi res music player the old one got a very small bit of water on the power button so it no longer powers up.
image.jpeg

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Just gone berserk on Amazon Prime day. Bagged a new gaming laptop and a 4k TV.
Also ordered a SKY Q box this morning.
A high end desktop would of been a better choice because if some thing gos wrong with a part it can be replaced with laptop you can't but i think there is a laptop that can be upgraded but I can't remember who it's made by.

Last edited:

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Recently I was remembering that when I was 9 or 10, I desperately wanted a garnet ring because I thought it would seem mysterious and witchy. Of course, I didn't have the sort of parents who were going to buy jewels for a kid, so I gave up the idea.

Anyway, it occurred to me suddenly that, hey wait a minute, I'm an adult and can buy stuff on my own, so here it is, my new witchy ring.
goldgarnetring2.jpg

Unsure yet whether it's cursed or not.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Recently I was remembering that when I was 9 or 10, I desperately wanted a garnet ring because I thought it would seem mysterious and witchy. Of course, I didn't have the sort of parents who were going to buy jewels for a kid, so I gave up the idea.

Anyway, it occurred to me suddenly that, hey wait a minute, I'm an adult and can buy stuff on my own, so here it is, my new witchy ring.
View attachment 18946

The ring is not cursed, it's for cursing with!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

View attachment 18946

Why do I always think garnets are green?

A few years ago the former Mr Snail had a nasty boss called Garnet who hated green. He would object to anything the staff brought in - coats, bags, hats, pens - which of course spurred them on to newer heights of green-seeking. The place started looking like an overgrown garden.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
The late Terry Pratchett described a similar revelation when he stood in a shop trying to decide which items to buy and suddenly realising he could buy whatever he wanted. Two or even THREE DVDs if he liked.