Stupid Rules & Other Jobsworth Stories

rynner2

Great Old One
Feel free to move to another thread, Mods, but I couldn't find a similar one:
BANNED AID
School refuses to put plaster on girl's finger .. as they'd be flouting first aid guidelines
By Richard Smith

A MUM was forced to go into school to put a plaster on her daughter's finger - because teachers were banned from treating the small cut.

Julie Scott got a call saying nine-year-old Emily's nail was bleeding.

Not wanting to breach strict council guidelines preventing some minor first aid, teachers refused to touch the wound.

But Julie, 38, yesterday fumed: "I couldn't believe it. It's absolutely beyond belief that the school couldn't stick a plaster on."

Dad Kevan, 39, added: "It's ludicrous. Emily had been biting her nail and caught it on the leg of her school trousers.

"The nail started to bleed but it was only a small cut - you couldn't make it any less of an emergency.

"But if teachers are standing in for parents while our children are at school they should be able to put on something as basic as a plaster.

"I'm not criticising the school - which is brilliant - but the guidelines imposed from above are just plain crazy."

Emily cut her finger during lunchtime at Uphill Primary School in Weston-super- Mare, Somerset.

The family, who live in the seaside town, said they have now been told the youngster will have to put on her own plaster - rather than have a teacher do it - if she gets hurt again. Julie has since given Emily a pack of plasters to keep at school.

Kevan said: "Emily just had a little cut where the fingernail meets the skin.

"Would she have been taken to hospital if nobody had been at home when the school called? Where do we draw the line?

"Do we now ban stairs because children could fall down them?

"This is another example of the nanny state gone mad.

"It's the kind of rule that was probably drawn up by committee because no sensible individual could come up with it on their own. Councils are probably worried that if a child has an allergic reaction to a plaster they'll be sued."

Uphill headteacher David Edwards said: "We're following strict guidelines from North Somerset Council and our school policies that we cannot administer plasters.

"We are only allowed to treat something with water and paper towels. We always try to take a common-sense approach."

North Somerset Council said: "We provide broad guidelines for first aid in schools and there is no mention of using plasters.

"Each child joining a school has to produce a medical declaration which includes allergies and therefore it is down to the school to use its judgment about whether it is appropriate to use plasters or not.

"This case highlights the fact that we perhaps need to re-issue guidelines to schools and clarify the whole issue."
link

lawofnations

Devoted Cultist
Sadly this is all too true.

And unfortunately it's the parents, not the state, that are to blame.

"How dare you touch little Johnny/Janie? What are you, some kind of sicko? You've got no right to touch my child. I know my rights. I'll sue."

My mother is a teacher. This is the kind of shit they have to deal with. Fear of parents (often violent) who cry foul when a teacher tries to take a common sense approach. You can't touch the children now at all, as touching is "inappropriate", even if the touching is to prevent "darling little Johnny" from smashing in his classmates face.

This type of parent (and their offspring) are quick to say they know their rights. Problem is they don't. As with all cases of "I know my rights/human rights" the person making the claim hasn't a clue what their right is, what a human right is, where that right comes from, how to enforce it, what the possible derogations from that right are, and will probably never find a lawyer that would take the case, and if they do, would find it difficult to get a judgement in their favour. Yet teachers and councils act out of fear of prosecutions that won't happen.

My tuppence worth anyway...

rynner2

Great Old One
Long long ago, in a galaxy far far away, I was a student teacher.

Once a boy in my class splashed copper sulphate solution into his eyes.
I immediately grabbed him, bent him backwards over the sink and ran water over his face, and then told him to blink his eyes rapidly.

That seemed to sort the problem, and there was no comeback.

Now I don't know for sure whether the copper sulphate would have had any serious effect on his health, but I felt it was a case of better safe than sorry.

But nowadays it seems to be a case of 'Damned if you do, damned if you don't'.

i was on an internal flight in australia in 1998 and got an upset stomach. i asked the stewardess if she had a rennies and she said she wasnt allowed to give out things like that. what would have happened if i'd had a heartattack?

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
rynner said:
Emily cut her finger during lunchtime at Uphill Primary School in Weston-super- Mare, Somerset.
Completely OT, but amusing - Uphill used to have a Horticultural society called, I kid you not... "The Uphill Gardeners Association" :).

They unsportingly changed their name a while ago.

Back OT, working in education meself, many of the students have medical needs and we have to get about 50 seperate waivers and agreements signed in advance in case of emergency. It's all down to the bloody ambulance-chasing culture again :(.

zarathustraspake

Ephemeral Spectre
In a similar vein to this post, I once did some temping work for an organisation that supports people with learning disabilities to live in the community.

This organisation had told its support workers that if a client went into cardiac arrest in front of them, they were NOT allowed to perform CPR on them unless they'd taken and passed the first aid course. This was because the company was afraid that if the support worker got the CPR wrong, then they'd be sued.

This is of course total bollocks. I've had CPR training many times, and one thing I've been told by first aid trainers is that if there's one time you can confidently go ahead without fear of legal action if you get it wrong, it's when performing CPR. The reason being that if they're in cardiac arrest, then they're to all intents and purposes dead. If you make a mistake, then you can't be sued because you can't harm someone who's already dead.

Unfortunately it's a sad reflection on our society that organisations produce these ridiculous rules out of fear of legal action that almost certainly will never materialise.

Peripart

Antediluvian
In a moment of dietary madness recently, I bought a large sausage roll from our local BP petrol station. Normally, I'm quite happy to eat them cold, but it wasn't the warmest day, so I asked the girl at the counter if she'd stick it in the microwave for me. So she put it in and set the timer for 2 minutes.

After about 30 seconds, I was bored and still hungry, so I said to the girl "that's enough, I'll eat it like that" (I didn't want to burn my mouth in my haste to eat it). But she said she couldn't heat it for less than two minutes, because of "health and safety". Despite my protesting that she would've been quite happy for me to eat the darned thing stone cold, there was no way she would remove it from the microwave before the allotted time was up. I then wasted five minutes for the sausage meat's temperature to dip below that of the sun's surface, and ended up with bits of blackened pastry all over my car seat, but at least I wasn't breaking any rules and eating a warm sausage roll.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I think the theory is that reheating food may cause bacteria to multiply quickly. We are all told to make sure that any cook-chill dish reaches a "piping-hot" temperature.

I doubt if even that will guarantee the safety of a garage sausage-roll but I have some sympathy here for the assistant who was doing what she was told. :)

ProfessorF

Ephemeral Spectre
<rant?

I have a pet hate with FedEx...
I ask when our cut off is for booking an overnight delivery to the US.
3.45pm I'm told. Fine - it's 3.40pm, I'll book it, but it's not ready until 4.30pm.

Ah, but the cut off for collection is 3.45pm.

So how on earth could I book it and get it collected in the same instance? I seriously doubt FedEx are that efficient...

</rant>

rynner2

Great Old One
Probe over 'deafening' auctioneer

A livestock auctioneer is under investigation because safety watchdogs think his voice may be too loud.
Officials from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are examining whether David Probert could damage visitors' hearing at Hereford Market.

Mr Probert has been told his voice can reach the same level as standing within 25m (82ft) of a jet aircraft.

The HSE said it had received a complaint about Mr Probert and was "duty bound" to investigate.

But, officials added that they were taking a "fairly low priority approach".

Health and Safety rules state employers should provide ear protection for people exposed to average levels of 85 decibels over an eight-hour period.

But Mr Probert said his weekly auctions "very rarely" last longer than two hours.

'Rather ridiculous'

He said he intends to carry on as normal and is more concerned "about the ridicule likely to be heaped upon the HSE".

He told the BBC: "I find it incredulous that my voice should raise concerns.

"If you compare the noise I make for a short period of time with noise at a nightclub or a football match, it gets rather ridiculous.

"Their criteria is that for the short period of time I am operating during the week, the noise levels they will investigate are the equivalent to standing within 25 metres of a jet aircraft taking off - apparently I am that loud.

"I am continuing as I have for 40 years on the premise that if I had damaged people's health there would be a lot of deaf people in Hereford."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/here ... 130734.stm
:D

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
A few months back, I needed to visit the library and thought the library habit might be worth re-acquiring. Trying to check out a book, I was told my old tickets were no longer valid. So I joined a queue to get new ones.

Despite the fact I had all the old tickets and my credit card etc. I was not carrying two utility bills and/or my driver's licence so they refused to issue them. Possession of the old tickets was not regarded as evidence since they had deleted the old database completely.

No, they couldn't have informed me of any of this because too many people use the system. One less now, despite paying for it. :evil:

Philo_T

Justified & Ancient
rynner said:
Long long ago, in a galaxy far far away, I was a student teacher.

Once a boy in my class splashed copper sulphate solution into his eyes.
I immediately grabbed him, bent him backwards over the sink and ran water over his face, and then told him to blink his eyes rapidly.

That seemed to sort the problem, and there was no comeback.

Now I don't know for sure whether the copper sulphate would have had any serious effect on his health, but I felt it was a case of better safe than sorry.

But nowadays it seems to be a case of 'Damned if you do, damned if you don't'.

Rynner:, the nanny state has solved that problem over here. We just don't bother to teach them chemistry. That way, they don't hurt themselves, they don't sue, they don't learn to blow things up and become terrorists. Anyhow, if we allow them to study the science of chemistry, they might then go on to study global warming or evolution, and we can't have that now, can we ? We're a country that builds nothing and invents nothing, we outsource all those functions.

Don't Try This at Home
Garage chemistry used to be a rite of passage for geeky kids. But in their search for terrorist cells and meth labs, authorities are making a federal case out of DIY science.
By Steve Silberman

(see Wired 14.06)

MercuryCrest

Justified & Ancient
I'll assume "plaster" is a British idiom for a band-aid, shall I? I have a poem I wrote a while back about how the world is now safety-padded and kids are soft because of it. When I grew up, playgrounds were damned dangerous and we wouldn't have had it any other way.

Steel beams embedded in concrete. Woodchips might have been a boon, but why land on soft things when you have asphalt? "Chicken fighting" from monkey bars 12 feet off the ground, the entire goal of which was to make your opponent fall and, if you were lucky, bleed. God how I miss things like that.

If I ever have kids, since they won't be able to get hurt in school, I guess I'll have to compensate by leaving lots of sharp, pointy things laying around that they can gouge themselves on. And the backyard swingset will be made from barbed-wire with ripped denim for seats. :twisted:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Parents at the English Language school i work at in Korea ask me to hit their children if they are disrespectful or inattentive. The boss has likewise suggested that any discipline problems can be improved with the use of a ruler...

Obviously i decline their kind offers (sometimes i'm tempted), but it is nice to be able to throw the littler kids around a bit with horseplay and comfort upset students without Britain's paedonoia jepardising my job.

PC fools and scum set the playing field in Britain and i hate them for it.

rynner2

Great Old One
Today I had to apply for Housing Benefit, as the place I'm moving to is more expensive than here.

I had to provide 5 latest payslips as part of the process. But they wouldn't accept them because they were hand-written. So they gave me a form for the boss to fill in. Which he has, in handwriting of course. :roll: But he had to put the company rubber stamp on too, so hopefully that makes it all right!

:evil:

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
What can you say?

'Young robber' cannot be charged

A nine-year-old boy who robbed a youth at knifepoint will not be punished as he is too young to be prosecuted.

The child brandished the weapon at Alex Davies, 13, who was riding his bike through Bristol's St George's Park on Sunday afternoon.

Alex was forced to handover his prized BMX to the boy who then rode away.

He admitted guilt to the police who tracked him to his home in the Easton area of the city after Alex gave a description of his mugger.

Once there they learned that he was only nine and could not be charged.

Only children of 10 and over can be held criminally liable for their actions.
I don't blame the police for this at all - they can only enforce the laws. The problem here is the number of little bastards who are well aware that they're effectively untouchable :(. If you think the current generation of late-teenage chav-scum are bad, just wait a few years...

nissemus

Devoted Cultist
Police refuse to chase motorbike thief who wasn't wearing a helmet

Motorcyclist Max Foster was stunned when police refused to chase the thief who had just stolen his moped - because the yob wasn't wearing a helmet.

Gobsmacked Max, 18, was told that officers feared being sued if the crook fell off.

It left the gang free to escape with Max's £1,200 bike, which was only insured third party and is probably lost for good.

Yesterday the furious heating engineer stormed: "They told me 'sorry mate but there's nothing we can do'."

"They said they couldn't follow them because they might get sued if the kids fall off and hurt themselves."
Source: Daily Mail

rynner2

Great Old One
Now here's a weirdness.

Because I'm moving house, I asked for my phone to be transferred.
BT asked if I wanted the same Low User rate, I said yes, did I want Broadband access, I said yes...

And then the operator said I wasn't allowed broadband on Low User rate!
(So maybe I inadvertantly broke a rule somewhere, and shouldn't have had broadband for the last 18 months or so!)

Today the phone no longer worked, so I moved it to the new address, where it did work (in and out) with my new number.

But weirdly enough, I can still access the internet and receive mail here at the old address, even though the old phone number is no longer valid!

Very strange! 8)

JudgeNutmeg

Devoted Cultist
petty little jobsworth type incident today,
went to one of these juice bars to get a drink,advertised was apple lemon and ginger,orange,orange and lemon.the girlfriend wanted orange lemon and ginger but no,the girl behind the counter said she could only put ginger in with apple and lemon cos that's what is on the board!
Also today thought i would have a nice fish and chips for lunch so saw a place(ho ho!) and ordered jumbo cod and chips,when it cane it was obviously not a proper fish but just some pre shaped processed frozen fish portion out of a supermaket.ALSO on the subject of chips i bought a bag of chips from a chippy recently and they were just oven chips.why do they rip you off it's not as though it's hard to peel some proper spuds.

all i want is proper fish and chips like i used to get
rant over

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
A while back i changed my telephone service over to NTL, and there was a complete balls up between NTL and Telco, who i paid the phone bill to until then.

It took me several weeks to figure out what was going on, my outgoing calls were going via NTL, as the phone was plugged into the NTL socket, but the incoming calls were coming into the old BT line, which had no phone connected to it!

Well NTL and Telco both blamed each other, but Telco were from hell.

I'd ring them and explain what was happening, and they refused to believe me. The operator would keep insisting that i was still on the old BT phone line. Then i'd explain to them that i couldn't be, 'cos the phone was plugged into the NTL socket, and the BT socket was empty, so i physically couldn't be on the BT line. And they wouldn't believe me, and when i started getting annoyed at them they'd keep saying "Well i only know what's on the computer"!

Bloody crazy. Got it sorted out in the end though...

Leaferne

Justified & Ancient
So you have different phone jacks depending on the company, or am I misunderstanding?

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Blackriverfalls, for heavens sake dont get involved with NTL.....

Worked for them once, they are useless

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
So you have different phone jacks depending on the company, or am I misunderstanding?
Yes, the BT socket connects to the 'telegraph lines' in the street, whereas the NTL socket conects to NTLs own cable below the pavement.

Leaferne

Justified & Ancient
Ah, so you're talking cable broadband *and* phone? (just want to make sure I get this) I thought it was just phone.

A

Anonymous

NTL can offer cable tv, broadband and phone all through one box, Leaferne.

And don't get me started on how shite they are...

sunsplash1

Justified & Ancient
JudgeNutmeg said:
Also today thought i would have a nice fish and chips for lunch so saw a place(ho ho!) and ordered jumbo cod and chips,when it cane it was obviously not a proper fish but just some pre shaped processed frozen fish portion out of a supermaket.ALSO on the subject of chips i bought a bag of chips from a chippy recently and they were just oven chips.why do they rip you off it's not as though it's hard to peel some proper spuds.

all i want is proper fish and chips like i used to get
rant over
Crikey!

That is so f*****g unbelievable! Anyone who tried to do that in Oz would get strung up! Or shot! Or deported!
:twisted: :x