• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Subliminal Advertising

It's an excellent analysis Ulalume. As a target market mid-40s bloke with 25 years experience in advertising, it's quite shocking to see the triggers implanted in this (and no, I don't think a lot of people do notice them).

I agree with everything you've said in your interpretation. There's also a disconnect between husband and wife (wife always pictured separately and alone, in a modern, clean almost clinical setting vs the instagram style oversaturated 'fun' environment of husband & boys). It sows the seed that this is something that's 'yours', and as most* men will be the primary decision maker regarding a car purchase it relegates the wife to that of a bit-part player.

As part of the regression theme, the 2 boys are distinctly different (hair, build, clothes, glasses etc.). This allows more viewers to associate themselves (or elements of themselves) with at least one of them.

The camera angle when entering the amusement park is shot from an even younger child's perspective (looking up at big brothers/dad), to invoke being part of the family, belonging. The dominant colours throughout are greens and blues (including the wife's jumper and a lot of the extras in the amusement park / arcade), promoting calm and welcoming feelings (with a hint of VW brand association).

Finally, the song lyric / advert theme of 'what can I do' - a subtle bit of persuasion aimed at saying 'what can I do (to help you forget our emissions scandal)'? OK, that might be pushing it a little but it hit home to me.

PS: It's amazing how easy it is to park right outside the entrance to things!

*Sexism alert - I know...

It's a bit weird that Mr.Beth didn't answer her earlier calls ... he must know her well enough by now seeing as they've presumably been together long enough to produce two kids together. And she didn't kick off when he eventually got back to her to take the "we need more milk" message. Maybe that's what's weird about the advert? .. it shows a couple that trust each other in a television advert these days? ..

It's an excellent analysis Ulalume. As a target market mid-40s bloke with 25 years experience in advertising, it's quite shocking to see the triggers implanted in this (and no, I don't think a lot of people do notice them).

I agree with everything you've said in your interpretation. There's also a disconnect between husband and wife (wife always pictured separately and alone, in a modern, clean almost clinical setting vs the instagram style oversaturated 'fun' environment of husband & boys). It sows the seed that this is something that's 'yours', and as most* men will be the primary decision maker regarding a car purchase it relegates the wife to that of a bit-part player.

As part of the regression theme, the 2 boys are distinctly different (hair, build, clothes, glasses etc.). This allows more viewers to associate themselves (or elements of themselves) with at least one of them.

The camera angle when entering the amusement park is shot from an even younger child's perspective (looking up at big brothers/dad), to invoke being part of the family, belonging. The dominant colours throughout are greens and blues (including the wife's jumper and a lot of the extras in the amusement park / arcade), promoting calm and welcoming feelings (with a hint of VW brand association).

Finally, the song lyric / advert theme of 'what can I do' - a subtle bit of persuasion aimed at saying 'what can I do (to help you forget our emissions scandal)'? OK, that might be pushing it a little but it hit home to me.

Loved this! Can I use it next time I have a media class that can read it? :clap:

Because they're not allowed to do that to women at all. At all.
And they want to put a joke in the ad, so it's always the man who is the fall guy.

Amazing! Thanks for your interpretation and expertise, Mr_Nic. I hadn't even thoought about the camera angles. That adds so much to understanding the commercial. As well as the colors and brand association.
Fascinating stuff.

And I did wonder what VW was going to do about that whole emissions scandal. A while back there was this radio program asking several marketing firms what route they might choose to try to regain trust.
http://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/569/put-a-bow-on-it?act=3
So it's not really far fetched to think there may be something to do with that.

Thanks for the link to the radio program - really interesting! I'd never heard of the Jack in the Box E.Coli scandal either, so that was a bit on an eye opener!

I've never been aware of seeing one before :D I tried to view it on the slowest speed setting and you do get a better look - but I'd love to see them all properly.

I've never been aware of seeing one before :D I tried to view it on the slowest speed setting and you do get a better look - but I'd love to see them all properly.

I caught the first one but the second was too quick for me -
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 21.13.24jpeg.jpg

Thank you David Plankton! It's interesting to see what they think is going to be a scary image!

Back