• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Subscription Problems

I haven't gotten 218 yet. Does anyone know who to contact for subscriptions in the US? The link from this website is no good, and the phone # for the distribution co. is no good either. :(

illuminati37411 said:
I haven't gotten 218 yet. Does anyone know who to contact for subscriptions in the US? The link from this website is no good, and the phone # for the distribution co. is no good either. :(

I'm sorry you've been having problems with this. I passed your complaint on to the subscriptions liaison section at Dennis who in turn passed it on to IMS in the States. They insist that their FT toll-free number has never changed - it is still 1-888-428-6676. They have an additional toll-free number as listed on the IMS website: 1-800-428-3003 and
this too has never changed.

They point out that the phones were very busy with the Holidays but insist that they do answer all the phones when they ring.

Their office hours are Monday - Friday 9:00 - 5:00 Eastern Time.

Hope this is of help.

Could I perhaps persuade you to look into my problem as well?

I've tried mailing both [email protected] and [email protected] several times, but still haven't gotten an answer.

Regretfully, the postman seems to have misplaced my copy of last month’s issue of Fortean Times (218).

I usually get it delivered abroad (Denmark) with no delay..

FFY

RonniHH said:
Could I perhaps persuade you to look into my problem as well?

I've tried mailing both [email protected] and [email protected] several times, but still haven't gotten an answer.

Regretfully, the postman seems to have misplaced my copy of last month’s issue of Fortean Times (218).

I usually get it delivered abroad (Denmark) with no delay..

FFY

As listed in the mag, the Subscriptions phoneline is (+44) 0845 126 1054 and the email is [email protected]

Oh - I see. Thanks for clarifying that - a message is being sent as these lines are written.

But Forteantimes.com -> Contact us -> Subscriptions gives one of the earlier mentioned adresses, so naturally I thould this would be the correct place to file my grief :)

FFY

RonniHH said:
Oh - I see. Thanks for clarifying that - a message is being sent as these lines are written.

But Forteantimes.com -> Contact us -> Subscriptions gives one of the earlier mentioned adresses, so naturally I thould this would be the correct place to file my grief :)

FFY

I'll pass that along to the webmaster.

Here We Go Again

I've just got off the phone with the subscriptions helpline. My enquiry was a simple one: According to the website, I have 5 issues remaining on my current subscription. As my subscription re-commenced with the October 2006 issue, I feel that I should have 6 issues remaining on my subscription, having thus far received the following:

215-Oct 2006 (Kirk and Spock cover)
216-Nov 2006 (Stone Age Soldiers cover)
217-Dec 2006 (Nikola Tesla cover)
218-Jan 2006 (How The Nazis Stole Christmas Cover)
219-Feb 2006 (Weird World In Review 2006 cover)
220-Mar 2006 (Iris Farczady cover)

Not so; according to the helpline, I have also received a Special Issue that did not have a month. Can someone please enlighten me as to what this missing issue had on the cover and what its issue number was?

I'm buggered if I can remember receiving it!

Thanks

PB

A Bit Later

Rang the Subscriptions Helpline again to arrange a replacement copy of the fabled Special Issue I refer to above.

I have now had an extra month added to my subscription...

As I'm not quite paranoid enough to believe that my ongoing experience of poor service is personally directed at myself, I would strongly advise other subscribers to check the status of their own subscriptions.

PB (Annoyed but not entirely surprised)

US Subscription problem! I just got an e-mail:

"Your subscription of Fortean Times is about to run out. Join us for another year for only $143.98!"

That's more than TWICE the current price offered on Amazon.com ($69.50). Why's the price gone up so high? What's the deal here? I'm obviously not going to be able to afford it if it's this high, I'd rather risk having some accidental crossover issues by re-upping through Amazon than paying such a ridiculous price. Heck, I could get it from the newsstands by special order cheaper than that price.

Help?

-Laura Gjovaag
[email protected]

US subscription prices

realtegan said:
US Subscription problem! I just got an e-mail:

"Your subscription of Fortean Times is about to run out. Join us for another year for only $143.98!"

That's more than TWICE the current price offered on Amazon.com ($69.50). Why's the price gone up so high? What's the deal here? I'm obviously not going to be able to afford it if it's this high, I'd rather risk having some accidental crossover issues by re-upping through Amazon than paying such a ridiculous price. Heck, I could get it from the newsstands by special order cheaper than that price.

Help?

-Laura Gjovaag
[email protected]

I passed this on to the Circulation/Subscription department at Dennis who confirmed that the price was increasing in line with the cover price increase (partly due to weak dollar and partly just due to inflation). However, the prices should be:

Renewals: 1 year - $79.99
2 years - £143.98.

Sorry for the confusion.

Subscription suspended?!

Hello

I got a very nice letter today, bearing the above nice headline in at least 18pt writing.

What's wrong with just writing; Dear Ms Whoever, your subscription is about to run out, please renew it?

This makes me feel like I'm going to get kicked out or I've done something terrible so they just cancel my subscription?

I'm sorry for ranting, and I'm not blaming anybody on this forum, but I really do object to that formulation.

Typical Dennis Publishing hard-sell bullshit, by the sound of it. No doubt justified by some Marketing creep as "This should get their undivided attention".

Did anyone else get this? I received a letter on the same day inviting me to renew my subs, er, six months early, but it wasn't this particular piece of nonsense. What's different here? Are you on a six-month subscription, or something? (I renew annually).

My advice would be to treat it with the contempt it clearly deserves.

PB (Looking forward to some glib response by a Dennis wonk chiding us on our inability to take a joke)

One of the mags here sends you a letter saying: "we are holding a young duck hostage. Pay your subscription or we're going to do evil things to it."
Even that's marginally more funny than suspending subscriptions.

I have an annual sub too, and always have to renew it around this time of the year, so nothing weird there. I'd tell them to stuff their threats where the sun don't shine, but I do really enjoy reading the magazine, and it's not sold here, so subscribing is pretty much the only option.

I don't have a subscription, but buy at the Friendly Local Gaming Store, which gets multiple copies of the distributor's preview catalog and lets store subscribers order what they want. Normally an issue shows up in our subscription box within two weeks of the cover changing on the site, but the last issue I saw was #233. I asked at the store and they said that, according to the Diamond site, they haven't received anything from England since the February issues - which is 231. So that can't be right, either.

Since Diamond doesn't seem to know which number they last received, I'm expecting the problem to turn out to be on their end, but has there been some sort of transAtlantic trade disagreement I should know about?

PeniG said:
Since Diamond doesn't seem to know which number they last received, I'm expecting the problem to turn out to be on their end, but has there been some sort of transAtlantic trade disagreement I should know about?

Yes. The magazine sanctions. Don't tell me you didn't...

Oh my God, I can't believe nobody told you about this! :shock:

i feel for you all that are having problems with their subscriptions especially in countries where its not on sale in the shops.
After years of buying this mag from the newsagent i decided to get a sbscription to save myself a trip into our nearest big city and the subsequent bus fare but it would seem i carnt as Dennis publishing says that my bank account number is invalid despite the fact i have used it with no problems every other time i have set up a direct debit, in fact i've never had any problems with it, period, til now.
I had terrible problem when subscribing to the web site that i've had from no other website, its almost as if they don't want anyone else to join.
i usually read this mag from cover to cover, its the only one i but every time and have done for ten years but this episode has left a bad taste in my mouth and makes me want to look for another magazine to transfer my allegiance to

mugwumpaddict said:
i feel for you all that are having problems with their subscriptions especially in countries where its not on sale in the shops.
After years of buying this mag from the newsagent i decided to get a sbscription to save myself a trip into our nearest big city and the subsequent bus fare but it would seem i carnt as Dennis publishing says that my bank account number is invalid despite the fact i have used it with no problems every other time i have set up a direct debit, in fact i've never had any problems with it, period, til now.
I had terrible problem when subscribing to the web site that i've had from no other website, its almost as if they don't want anyone else to join.
i usually read this mag from cover to cover, its the only one i but every time and have done for ten years but this episode has left a bad taste in my mouth and makes me want to look for another magazine to transfer my allegiance to

If you have problems with subscriptions (online or postal), please contact those people who are listed in the masthead (on Editorial page) as Subscriptions Executive and/or Circulations Administrator (or similar job titles). These do change from time to time, but currently the contacts are: Lucie Jelfs 020-7907 6153 ([email protected]) or Barabra Abis 020-7907 6145 ([email protected]). They should be able to sort things out.

You are not alone Mugwump. I'm typing this after five frustrating minutes at subsinfo.co.uk trying to notify them that my address has changed. Pressing the Change button on the Details screen gives the helpful message that "Your changes have been safely received and will be processed as soon as possible". Even though I have not been given the opportunity to make any changes!

Has anyone else recently managed to successfully change their contact details through this website? It worked for me during my last move about three years ago but it certainly isn't happening at the moment.

PB

Phone them up. Seriously. I wouldn't trust this website to get things done and whenever I've had subscription problems phoning them always works.

You're right. I'll give them a bell in the morning.

What bugs me is that I shouldn't have to. Every time I have to use this website it seems like there is a problem, and this goes back years (this isn't the first time I have posted to this thread by any means).

It strikes me that there is no real determination on anyone's part to resolve these issues - a low hit rate and nothing to be gained financially, one presumes? Owen's repeated suggestion - well-intentioned as it is - that we phone X or Y at Dennis Publishing isn't getting the damn thing fixed either.

PB

Brown_Forever said:

What bugs me is that I shouldn't have to. Every time I have to use this website it seems like there is a problem, and this goes back years (this isn't the first time I have posted to this thread by any means).

It strikes me that there is no real determination on anyone's part to resolve these issues - a low hit rate and nothing to be gained financially, one presumes? Owen's repeated suggestion - well-intentioned as it is - that we phone X or Y at Dennis Publishing isn't getting the damn thing fixed either.

PB

... but it's only by alerting the subscriptions department that there is a problem that it's going to be fixed - they won't know if you don't tell them.

Brown_Forever said:

PB

... but it's only by alerting the subscriptions department that there is a problem that it's going to be fixed - they won't know if you don't tell them.

... and in my experience even if you do tell them there's no guarantee they'll fix it.

I seem to recall reporting a problem with the renewals page not accepting offer codes back in July 2006. Imagine my surprise and delight on encountering exactly the same problem when my subscription came up for renewal a year later.....

PB

I think my copy of 237 has gone awol :(
It should have arrived here a couple of weeks ago.

Renewed my subscription back in early July, even got an acknowledgement email. Realised this morning on checking my credit card statement that my renewal was never acted upon, confirmed when I checked subsinfo. Have forwarded a copy of the renewal email, so I'll see what happens.

I seem to be having persistent problems with the subsinfo site. I want to check how many issues I have left on my subscription, and it just tells me that if I want to check my subscription to Micro Mart, I should log out and back in. I don't have a subscription to Micro Mart, so that's not terribly useful.

Oh how annoying. And weird. I'm afraid the subs info site is run by an external company - best bet is probably to try emailing [email protected] or ringing 0844 844 0049

Cheers

Just went to renew my gift subscription for my brother, and all the details were only for him, so I wonder if it will go through, or be rejected because his name is not on the credit card I used?

This month's FT hasn't arrived so my wife spoke to the helpline on Friday and they say that another issue will be dispatched. She has received an email today saying that a copy can't be "sourced."

What does this mean? That I'm going to have to accept that there will be a gap in my collection? If it means that, less than a week after the issue came out that no more are available anywhere and I might as well buy it from WH Smith, then I don't see the point in continuing my subscription.

I am NOT happy about this. In fact I am furious.

Back