• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Suggestions About Re-Organisation: Move & Merge Requests

_Lizard23_ said:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40882&highlight=

am I wrong, or is a big pic breaking this page (tiny netbook, usually ok ......)
Well, I for one can't be bothered to read posts that need horizontal scrolling for every line! (Pity - I used to know Calais fairly well.)

The recent Icelandic volcano eruption was first mentioned on the Volcano thread in March, starting here:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 756#964756

Since then (in April) the 'Volcano Warning for UK' thread was started.
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=
This has since proved a misnomer, since the warning has covered most of Europe for several days now.

So it might be an idea to split off all these posts into a new thread, 'Iceland Volcano 2010', perhaps (adding Eyjafjallajoekull if desired!), and putting it in Mainstream News, rather than having it switch from New Science to Fortean News with each new post.

rynner2 said:
The recent Icelandic volcano eruption was first mentioned on the Volcano thread in March, starting here:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 756#964756

Since then (in April) the 'Volcano Warning for UK' thread was started.
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=
This has since proved a misnomer, since the warning has covered most of Europe for several days now.

So it might be an idea to split off all these posts into a new thread, 'Iceland Volcano 2010', perhaps (adding Eyjafjallajoekull if desired!), and putting it in Mainstream News, rather than having it switch from New Science to Fortean News with each new post.
And also done - said thread is now entitled Icelandic Volcano Eyjafjallajoekull & Air Traffic, which I feel has a certain verve and contains all the necessary info.

A conundrum for Mods:

The last several posts in Police State II are about Tasers.

Should these be moved to Tasers on Stun

or

should all of ToS be merged with PSII?

When threads collide, eh! 8)

Could the Mods please sort out the Pope Benedict thread

- the last couple of pages have nothing to do with the Pope at all.

The offending posts should either be transfered to the Dawkins thread, or (preferably :twisted: ) deleted altogether!

I suppose a red-hot poker up the bum for Colpepper would be too much to ask for..? ;)

rynner2 said:

The offending posts should either be transfered to the Dawkins thread, or (preferably :twisted: ) deleted altogether!

I suppose a red-hot poker up the bum for Colpepper would be too much to ask for..? ;)

I second all proposals by the honorable member.

ramonmercado said:
rynner2 said:

I second all proposals by the honorable member.
Tis done.

Got home this pm, had a few email notifs, but two of them returned "no posts made on this topic" (or words to that effect).

Searching for the threads concerned (Weird Sex and WTF!!) got similar responses for the last few pages. Both threads are very long - maybe they need splitting or summat.

Anyone else had trouble with them?

rynner2 said:
Got home this pm, had a few email notifs, but two of them returned "no posts made on this topic" (or words to that effect).

Searching for the threads concerned (Weird Sex and WTF!!) got similar responses for the last few pages. Both threads are very long - maybe they need splitting or summat.

Anyone else had trouble with them?

Same here.

Yes -same here.
But I managed to get to what I imagine was the latest post on "Weird sex" by going to a previous page.
Has someone possibly been banned, and deleted all their contributions thus shortening some of the previous pages? Just a wild guess!

I have the same experience here. It's positively Fortean in its weirdness.

Error: No posts exist for this topic

Just logged in and went to my profile to check subscribed posts.

Had 5 of them and opened them all in new tabs. All but one page said "No posts exist for this topic" and had nothing apart from the basic forum background. No thread, no posts (obviously), nothing.

Tried to open the tech help thread by going to it the long way and got the same error message.

Recycled1 said:
..Has someone possibly been banned, and deleted all their contributions thus shortening some of the previous pages? Just a wild guess!
No, no bannings for a while - and besides, we leave their posts intact. On the affected threads, the database seems to think there's one more page per thread than there actually are (if you see what I mean.)

I'll pass it on TPTB.

stuneville said:
On the affected threads, the database seems to think there's one more page per thread than there actually are (if you see what I mean.)

I'll pass it on TPTB.
Any news? Now I find it's affected the "Growing Old.." thread as well - another one with over 130 pages.

...and Strange Crimes.

This is not a huge thread (60+ pages) so it looks like the virus is spreading.
And this rate the MB will be unusable within days... :shock:

I found Strange Crimes, and tried posting a reply. That seemed to work OK, but instead of the usual successful posting message, I got

"No posts exist for this topic" :shock:

The post is there, but it can't be found and viewed normally until the MB is fixed - and as it's Friday afternoon I'm hoping we don't have to wait till Monday for some action...

Techies are aware of it. The threads are actually intact - as Spookdaddy pointed out on the Gen Queries thread, just click on the thread title from the index and from there click on the penultimate page number (or the page before that, in some cases) and all will be revealed.

Seems to be an indexing and search problem rather than a thread one.

Back