• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Suggestions About Re-Organisation: Move & Merge Requests

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Can we have a Cave Art/Cave Painting thread please?

Some clarification is needed on your proposed consolidation, because there are many conceivable ways to slice 'n dice the subject matter. For example ...

- This would consolidate material on prehistoric art only - right? Or ... ?

- Are you asking for everything to be consolidated into the existing compendium thread:

Cave & Rock Art
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/cave-rock-art.26754/

... or something different? If something different - what exactly?

- Are you suggesting that cave art be separated from rock art?

- Are you perhaps (or additionally) suggesting that painted art be separated from carved art / sculpture?

Some clarification is needed on your proposed consolidation, because there are many conceivable ways to slice 'n dice the subject matter. For example ...

- This would consolidate material on prehistoric art only - right? Or ... ?

- Are you asking for everything to be consolidated into the existing compendium thread:

Cave & Rock Art
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/cave-rock-art.26754/

... or something different? If something different - what exactly?

- Are you suggesting that cave art be separated from rock art?

- Are y
You perhaps (or additionally) suggesting that painted art be separated from carved art / sculpture?

Hey, I asked for solutions not questions. :D

Last edited:
It seems the FT dedicated coverage of podcasts became intermittent and / or extinct some time ago, and nobody gave it much notice. As a result, all the podcast discussions have been consolidated in Fortean Podcasts. The FT-specific thread has been stripped, locked and left as a signpost pointing visitors to Fortean Podcasts.

It seems the FT dedicated coverage of podcasts became intermittent and / or extinct some time ago, and nobody gave it much notice. As a result, all the podcast discussions have been consolidated in Fortean Podcasts. The FT-specific thread has been stripped, locked and left as a signpost pointing visitors to Fortean Podcasts.
I would have just called it the podcast section but then I can't be pleased.

I accidentally started off a hare in the Troll's Head by asking for recommended (non-Fortean) reading, specifically detective stories. I did do a search for more appropriate subjects, but I couldn't find any. Should we have one, or is Troll's Head so loose it doesn't matter? We do have a Sherlock Holmes topic, but not all detective stories, especially modern 'police procedurals' have any relevance to good old Sherlock.

I accidentally started off a hare in the Troll's Head by asking for recommended (non-Fortean) reading, specifically detective stories. I did do a search for more appropriate subjects, but I couldn't find any. Should we have one, or is Troll's Head so loose it doesn't matter? We do have a Sherlock Holmes topic, but not all detective stories, especially modern 'police procedurals' have any relevance to good old Sherlock.

Good question(s) ...

For starters ... I've moved the particular discussion you started / mentioned from The Troll's Head to this established thread on reading suggestions:

Suggestions For A Good Read
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/suggestions-for-a-good-read.13479/

Beyond that ...

The general reading suggestions thread (cited above) is huge, and it covers any / all genres. There's at least one thread specific to reading suggestions on Fortean topics. The same can be said for sci-fi / fantasy, and so forth ... This raises fairly obvious follow-up questions:

Is there a justified need for topically-themed reading suggestion threads?
If so - which topics / themes / genres recommend themselves for being addressed in dedicated threads?

Ah, thank you. I had missed that policy, but it makes perfect sense.

Looks to me that the Haunted Fire Stations thread might well be about to wander into the area of policing.

We have a thread already on the latter - but maybe it's a bit too specifically titled for a general thread: Police Story. (To be fair, this thread was launched off the back of one particular - very interesting - story, but consequently grew into something more general.)

I think both areas have a lot of potential, and wonder if a little adaptation of the latter's title - to reflect its more general nature - might help when people want to contribute relevant material, or with future searches.

Looks to me that the Haunted Fire Stations thread might well be about to wander into the area of policing. ...
I think both areas have a lot of potential, and wonder if a little adaptation of the latter's title - to reflect its more general nature - might help when people want to contribute relevant material, or with future searches.

The threads in question have been retitled as follows and remain within the Ghosts section:

Ghosts In The Line Of Duty: Police / Policemen / Cops
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...the-line-of-duty-police-policemen-cops.65808/

Ghosts In The Line Of Duty: Firefighters / Firemen / Fire Stations
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...uty-firefighters-firemen-fire-stations.68278/

Four posts in the fire stations thread were actually about police stations, and they've been moved to the police-oriented thread.

Miscellanous vintage posts suitable for the police thread have been moved there.

Dear mods.

I have started a dedicated thread on the The Beechmount Poltergeist, because I think it probably justifies one.

There are already several posts on the subject in the Obscure Cases thread, and I wonder if it would be at all possible to lift those and plant them into the dedicated thread. I’m pretty sure that this could be done without interrupting the flow or logic of the original thread.

Cheers.

Can this get past Enola? :D
I'm not sure what you're suggesting ... Are you suggesting these threads be merged, or are you suggesting their contents be reviewed and re-sorted so stuff about witches is in Witches and stuff about witches' practices is in Witchcraft? Or something else? ... :dunno:

I'm not sure what you're suggesting ... Are you suggesting these threads be merged, or are you suggesting their contents be reviewed and re-sorted so stuff about witches is in Witches and stuff about witches' practices is in Witchcraft? Or something else? ... :dunno:

Just merged thanks Enola. I like to come here, read people's suggestions for a merger only to find you've found an obscure but very pertinent and very logical reason not to.

I'm thinking of turning it into a drinking game.

Keep up the good work. This place would fall apart or drown without you.

Just merged thanks Enola. I like to come here, read people's suggestions for a merger only to find you've found an obscure but very pertinent and very logical reason not to.
We had a Mod who'd merge threads at the drop of a hat if the titles included similar words like 'A' or 'The'.
Well, maybe not that bad but he was certainly over-keen.

Can we merge my people who vanish thread with Scarg's people who disappear? Seems silly having two. If Scarg is ok with that?

Back