• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Suggestions For A Good Read

Baron Scarpia

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Somewhere on this thread got to hear about Richard Freeman's 'Green, Unpleasant Land- Eighteen Tales of British Horror'. Just finished it....don't generally read horror fiction but really got into this collection. Rationed my reading of them as wanted the book to last as long as possible. Thank you to whoever recommended it.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Ghosts of the Tsumani A deeply Fortean book about the 2011 earthquake.

https://www.penguin.co.nz/books/ghosts-of-the-tsunami-9781784704889

As someone who has a professional interest in stories of emergency events gone wrong, this is completely different.

It's about the Tsumani. It's a hard read because of the death of the children.

This book not only talks about the nuances of the Japanese culture but illustrates what a deeply spiritual yet technocratic and obedient country this is..

People became possessed, ghosts were an everyday occurrence. The writer doesn't treat any of it as "woohoo".

It isn't a Mental Health issue as we would judge in the west.

It' just how enormous this event was.

Anyone who lives in the ring of fire. 35m high waves? No one can survive that.

What he talks about does not even resonate with us in the West. We don't have this belief - this level of standards of behavior. (that's such a poor term as I no idea what that means).

I can explain some of the paranormal events but not all, everyone should listen to this or read it if you are a Fortean.

The writer is a British Journalist who fell in love with Japan - an astonishing book. 10/10.

This book should be read by everyone.

Last edited:

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This book is the same age as me, originally published in 1976.

This 1977 paperback edition has been on my shelves for as long as I can remember, I think I picked it up at a jumble sale or something when I was a kid.

I've finally got round to reading it!

I'm about a third of the way in and really enjoying it so far. It's dedicated to HG Wells and nowadays would probably be called a 'reboot'; it borrows pretty liberally from the great writer.

thumbnail_processed.jpg

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
I read The River Kings by Cat Jarman about the vikings and trading with the East and i found it fascinating. I don’t normally spend more than a tenner on a kindle book because they’re, you know, not real, but well worth it

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
the terror by Dan Simmons, it's good but I think it would have been just as good, if not better, with just a straightforward account of the Franklin expedition, it's a horrific tale without added supernatural elements.
It loses its way about 3/4 of the way through. His Hyperion books are better.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Attack Surface by Cory Doctrow. It's main character, Masha, featured in a lesser role in Little Brother and Homeland. Shes a security/observation technology expert, recruited by DHS at age 17, then went on to work as a contractor through multi-national companies. This novel gives her back story and throws new light on previous events. It's close enough to what's happening in the real world, maybe slightly in the future. But it's really an alternate hstory, because the Bay Bridge was blown up maybe 10 yeas ago. As well as working for repressive regimes, Masha helps dissident groups. This dichotomy leads to problems ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Doctorow