• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Good Read: Book Suggestions & Recommendations

James H said:
Now I'm reading "the have a word for it" by somebody or other, about "untranslatable" words that we should have in the English language to widen our outlook (I personally don't subscribe to the idea that you can only have concepts if you have words for them). It seems ok.

That sounds really very interesting indeed - can I trouble you for the author's name?
I have a fantastic book called "Your Mother's Tongue" by Stephen Burgen, which discusses how swearing works in different European languages, and is much funnier than socio-linguistics has a right to be.
Has anyone read Stiff by Mary Roach? About all the different things that can happen to the human body after death; from medical research to forensics to plain old decomposition. Much nicer than it sounds.

I'm reading "Stiff" right now. Extremely entertaining and a fund of "things I didn't know and am not so sure I needed to learn them".

Hello all,

I'm currently plodding my way through Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad. I don't like it very much but I've started so I'll finish.

My favourite book is HMS Ulysses by Alistair Maclean, which I have read too many times to count. I bet Rynner likes that one too!

2 Books that spring to mind

Imajica by Clive Barker, which is a fantastic voyage of discovery.

Angry Candy by Harlan Ellison, which is a collection of short stories.

Both should appeal to those with a Fortean leaning.

IIRC the Imajica title goes off track about half way through but manages to recover itself.
Angry Candy is the outpouring of a man who is trying to come to terms with the death of a few close friends. The result of which is this collection of thought provoking tales.
Both well worth a read in my extremely humble opinion.

I do like Stephen King and Dean Koontz (where the hell did the R go?) but I prefer the older books like 'IT' and 'Midnight' to the newer stuff that they've done. Koontz has gone much more of a paranoia writer.

Yeah agree about his older books being the better.Personally The Tommy Knockers is my favourite of his books, one i read in about 3 days, when your really into a book its surprising how quickly you can get through it.

GiantRobot said:
sjoh9 said:
GiantRobot said:
I'm reading 'Memories, Dreams & Reflections', which is Carl Jung's (auto)biography. It's very, very good.

I also got a new copy of Douglas Coupland's Generation X yesterday, which is one of my favourite ever books.

I had no idea who Carl jung is so i googled it.Does look interesting and i will have to add it to the pile!

Jung was an absolute genius - his ideas are very important to me, and I think they're well worth getting into for Forteans. He came up with the concepts of archetypes, the collective unconscious and synchronicity. He's also written about alchemy and its deeper psychological/spiritual meaning, UFOs, poltergeists and other weird and wonderful stuff.

"Jung: A Very Short Introduction" is a very good book on him.

I try and tell myself not to get anymore books until ive finished the ones im reading but hey, just ordered a copy!!

Re: What Books?

sjoh9 said:
I know there was a thread about books people were reading (i searched all 5 pages but no joy) but it seems to have vanished.

There was!! I started it! One of my most successful threads......okay, my only halfway successful thread.....

Just finished 'Broken Lives' by Bob Stewart (Bosnia fascinates me) and I've just started 'The Dreamthief's Daughter' by Mike Moorcock.

Thanks for resurrecting the idea sjoh. :D

Re: What Books?

Cavynaut said:
sjoh9 said:
I know there was a thread about books people were reading (i searched all 5 pages but no joy) but it seems to have vanished.

There was!! I started it! One of my most successful threads......okay, my only halfway successful thread.....

Just finished 'Broken Lives' by Bob Stewart (Bosnia fascinates me) and I've just started 'The Dreamthief's Daughter' by Mike Moorcock.

Thanks for resurrecting the idea sjoh. :D

This One?

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 035#533035

I knew it must have been still around! See i was searching with the word book in my head and must have skipped right past it, 'suggestions for a good read' is the tittle!

DOH!!

Im sure they could be merged.

I've just started re-reading Cosmic Trigger by Robert Anton Wilson.

It's even better than I remember it. 8)

God's Politics--Jim Wallis

and

Plan B: More Thoughts on Faith--Anne Lamott.

Super System 2 - a course in Power Poker by Doyle Brunson

&

Visual Guide to Lock Picking by Mark Mccloud

Nothing if not ecclectic!

No time to read? No money? Take a look at Penguin's 70th anniversary Pocket Classics. They're not all tired old tomes but fiction & non-fiction, prose & poetry, from Homer to Will Self. Some are complete, some extracts, and all with funky new covers. £1.50 - 70 ish pages:

So far i've read:
Albert Camus - Summer in Algiers,
Simon Armitage - King Arthur in The East Riding
Hunter S. Thompson - Happy Birthday, Jack Nicholson,
Steven Runciman - The Assault on Jerusalem,
David Cannadine - Churchill: The Arisocratic Adventurer.

Next on my list are:
Will Self - Design Faults in the Volvo 760 Turbo
Evelyn Waugh - The Coronation of Haile Selassie

or Roald Dahl, or Chomsky, or...

Complete list here:
http://www.ottakars.co.uk/Internet/home/penguin70s.jsp

Go and buy one - they're good dammit!

The Yithian said:
Andy said:
The Yithian said:
Am reading Rubicon: The Triumph & Tragedy of the Roman Republic by Tom Holland, and for a popular history it is stunningly complusive and intelligent. Serious good. If you have any interest in Caesar, Marius, Pompey, Sulla, Crassus, Cato et als or just an curiosity about the Roman World in general i endorse it unreservedly.

Thanks Yith. That's just the ticket for me. :)

Wade in, i lent it to a friend today, let me know what you think of it.

Finished this one last week. I enjoyed it, especially the first few chapters where Roman psychology/sociology in the late republic is explored. His explanation of the Roman upper classes' desire to better their social standing and their craving for the esteem of their fellows vs. a deep rooted mistrust of anything resembling kingship which led to the civil war sets it above the average general history. Almost like reading a novel.

As a bonus, he eschews the use of B.C.E.

For anyone interested in Plant drugs and traditional uses, Food of the Gods by Terrance McKenna (a lot of mushroom discussion). Also The Teachings of Don Juan by Carlos Casteneda.
Im yet to get a copy of 'DMT the Spirit Molecule' but apparently its quite good too. I think it discusses among other things endogenous DMT in the pineal gland being responsible for NDE's and Alien abduction memories.

Andy said:
The Yithian said:
Andy said:
The Yithian said:
Am reading Rubicon: The Triumph & Tragedy of the Roman Republic by Tom Holland, and for a popular history it is stunningly complusive and intelligent. Serious good. If you have any interest in Caesar, Marius, Pompey, Sulla, Crassus, Cato et als or just an curiosity about the Roman World in general i endorse it unreservedly.

Finished this one last week. I enjoyed it, especially the first few chapters where Roman psychology/sociology in the late republic is explored. His explanation of the Roman upper classes' desire to better their social standing and their craving for the esteem of their fellows vs. a deep rooted mistrust of anything resembling kingship which led to the civil war sets it above the average general history. Almost like reading a novel.

Glad you enjoyed.

My favourite little 'scene' was his explanation of how [i think - book lent to a friend] Strabo's [father of Pompey 'the great'] actions following his victories over the rebellious italians during the social/italian wars [c. 90BC]: fearful of what he may do with his ultra-loyal legions the senate (under Marius & Cinna) send a messenger and new commander south to take command from him to ensure he doesn't aid Sulla's attempt to re-take control Rome . Strabo, who can't be seen to be in open revolt, receives him cordially, introduces him to the troops and explains publically how he's happy to relinquish command to this, no doubt, capable commander. He then appologises and 'goes away on business for two days' . His troops promptly murder the commander brutally and he has no choice but to re-take command! Genius.

The Yithian said:
Andy said:
The Yithian said:
Andy said:
The Yithian said:

Glad you enjoyed.

My favourite little 'scene' was his explanation of how [i think - book lent to a friend] Strabo's [father of Pompey 'the great'] actions following his victories over the rebellious italians during the social/italian wars [c. 90BC]: fearful of what he may do with his ultra-loyal legions the senate (under Marius & Cinna) send a messenger and new commander south to take command from him to ensure he doesn't aid Sulla's attempt to re-take control Rome . Strabo, who can't be seen to be in open revolt, receives him cordially, introduces him to the troops and explains publically how he's happy to relinquish command to this, no doubt, capable commander. He then appologises and 'goes away on business for two days' . His troops promptly murder the commander brutally and he has no choice but to re-take command! Genius.

While we're on the subject of popular history and since one good turn deserves another, here's a classic that's so old that it might be new to you --- Garrett Mattingly's The Armada.

Andy said:
While we're on the subject of popular history and since one good turn deserves another, here's a classic that's so old that it might be new to you --- Garrett Mattingly's The Armada.

I'm broke at the moment but it's on the list now. Thanks Andy. 8)

In a completely different vain i just found a short-story i loved as a child:
http://www.unexploredworlds.com/RealPul ... pulp22.htm - Lamb to the Slaughter by Roald Dahl.

The Armada

Hrm. I've got it on the shelf in this room. If you get here by tomorrow you can have it. :)

You might also like: Robert Darnton, The Great Cat Massacre or anything by E. LeRoy Ladurie or Natalie Zemon Davis. And you *have* read Keith Thomas of course, but I'll stick his name in here for all the people who haven't. ;) (Same offer: if you can get here by tomorrow...)

Wah. I really should go back to academe. :(

Re: The Armada

Leaferne said:
Hrm. I've got it on the shelf in this room. If you get here by tomorrow you can have it. :)

You might also like: Robert Darnton, The Great Cat Massacre or anything by E. LeRoy Ladurie or Natalie Zemon Davis. And you *have* read Keith Thomas of course, but I'll stick his name in here for all the people who haven't. ;) (Same offer: if you can get here by tomorrow...)

Wah. I really should go back to academe. :(

What's happening tomorrow? Moving? Or just burning all your books? :D

I fear you're many miles from Kent anyway...

Nothing's happening tomorrow, which is why some company would be nice. (we have enough booze in the house to make any Brit feel at home ;) ) (er, not counting the one asleep in the next room)

How about the World's largest book? ;)

Bhutan: A Visual Odyssey Across the Last Himalayan Kingdom

According to Guinness World Records, at over five by seven feet (and 133 pounds), this staggeringly beautiful photographic book is the largest published book in the world--about one of the world's smallest countries.

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0974246 ... enantmc-20

[edit: I suppose I should direct everyone to this find:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 014#541014 ]

This might seem like a weird one but:

Investigating Religious Terrorism and Ritualistic Crimes
Dawn Perlmutter (2003)

Synopsis

The legalities of particular religious practices depend on many factors, such as the type of occult or religious activity, the current laws, and the intention of the individual practitioner. Written by the director of the Institute for the Research of Organized and Ritual Violence, Investigating Religious Terrorism and Ritualistic Crimes is the first complete resource to assist in crime scene identification, criminal investigation, and prosecution of religious terrorism and occult crime. It analyzes occult and religious terrorist practices from each group's theological perspective to help you understand traditional and contemporary occult groups and domestic and international terrorist religions, demarcate legal religious practice from criminal activity, and acquire techniques specific to occult and terrorist religion crime scene investigation.

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/08493 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0849310 ... enantmc-20

It is pretty expensive but you can get it through a good library and if you are at an academic institution you might be able to grab it all for free in PDF form via here:
www.forensicnetbase.com/ejournals/books ... sp?id=1175

I just did and I am blown away by the sheer amount of material there is touching on various Fortean subjects (the above link has a table of contents). It is also written well and has everything down to bite-sized chunks for easy digestion (but there is a lot of detail).

As it is aimed at law enforcement and professionals there do seem to be bits that have comic potential (there is a vampire glossary which would probably make "vampires" laugh - if they can crack a smile) and I'm curious to read what she has to say about SRA.

Nocturnes by John Connolly.

You can read two of the stories from the book here.

I've read Connolly before (his Charlie Parker books and Bad Men) but I've just finished the last page of the Parker novella in Nocturnes and I have to say that I'm not often spooked by books or films, but last night I had trouble getting off to sleep after reading the book and tonight I think I'm going to be the same. :roll:

Some of the tales are very reminscent of MR James, Lovecraft. Connolly even calls one of his characters, Mr Lovecraft.

Only thing is, I've been in two minds as to whether or not to *lose* the book- it's a library loan and something I would not usually consider. It's a nice hardback first edition, signed no less, although now damaged by the stamp and chip glued to the dustjacket denoting public library ownership :D

I'll end up taking it back I should think :oops:

Whilst tidying shelves earlier today (i.e. frantically trying to find something I had mislaid) I re-discovered some of my Robert Neill books.

I shall soon be re-reading Mist Over Pendle, Moon in Scorpio and Crown and Mitre for about the umpteenth time since childhood after I've finished reading the Sam Pig book that I found at the same time.

having spent a few hours at it this afternoon I'd recommend Rat Scabies and the Holy Grail (Christopher Dawes) 8)

Earlier this summer, on vacation, I visited a Sci-fi/horror/fantasy bookstore, since I love Cthulhiana, I looked for some news in that section. I was approached by a guy who worked there and we started to talk about books. He recommended one book which he described as a Cthulhu-Mythos crossover (to another genre?), if i remember correctly, he described the story as taking place in present day, and that the evil monsters of the Cthulhu Mythos are gaining power through (among other things) modern technology. I'm not sure about this, but there might have been a historical connection to the Nazis/WWII. As I listened to him telling me this I thought it sounded a bit like the story in the game "Eternal Darkness" for the Gamecube.

Anyway, he strongly recommended it, and said that because this was a new book, he only had it available in hardcover, but that they would get it in paperback later this year. I didn't have much money with me so I decided to remember the title and the author and buy it later.

What do you think happened?

Can't remember title or author, and I'm not quite sure about the story either... damn, have to learn to start writing such stuff down. :oops:

Do you have any idea of what book it might have been? Maybe I'll remember when I read the title.

Back