• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Suicide As A Social Phenomenon

Somebody else will have to cut and past the article for posterity (I'm on my phone and I don't know how to cut & paste here--done Yith)... but according to this linked article, a Pennsylvania family (mother, father, adult daughter) all agreed to commit group suicide apparently in accordance with their spiritual and socio-political beliefs colliding with a stubborn reality that didn't act the way they wanted it to. Mother killed father, daughter killed mother, daughter killed herself.

Family found dead in Pennsylvania made a 'joint decision' to kill themselves, police say​

Feb. 4, 2023, 8:19 AM KST
By Daniella Silva

A Pennsylvania family found shot dead in their backyard last week in what police say appears to be a suicide pact, included a mother and daughter who loved bowling and were devout Christian conservatives, people who knew them said.

Morgan Daub, 26, and her parents, James Daub, 62, and Deborah Daub, 59, were found dead on the ground in the backyard of their home in York County, Pennsylvania, on the morning of Jan. 25, after police responded to a request for a welfare check from a neighbor.

The West Manchester Township Police Department has since said that notes left inside the house indicate that the family recently made a "joint decision" to end their lives. Police believe Deborah Daub shot and killed her husband and then was shot and killed by Morgan, who died by suicide. Police said there were no signs of forced entry or struggle and no evidence that anyone else had been present.

An investigation into the deaths has been closed.

People who knew the family expressed shock and heartbreak at the deaths. Morgan was described by members of the local bowling community as a shy, quiet young woman who was close with her mother and also a talented and avid bowler until she and her mother suddenly stopped visiting bowling stores and alleys in the area a few years ago, around the start of the pandemic.

FULL SOURCE:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...made-joint-decision-kill-police-say-rcna69060

Last edited by a moderator:
Figures for the first half of 2023 in South Korea. I say they are interesting with no lack of respect.

SmartSelect_20230911_123648_Samsung Internet.jpg
SmartSelect_20230911_123700_Samsung Internet.jpg

That predominating 'male in 50s' cohort is struck by societal redundancy. If chronically unemployed or underemployed, one's sense of worth often evaporates in a society where pride and duty still loom quietly large.

Culled & Translated from this Korean Source:
https://m.yna.co.kr/view/AKR20230908160800530?input=1195m

Shouldnt people be allowed to go if they want to?

I mean, are we making a problem out of nothing?

Shouldnt people be allowed to go if they want to?

I mean, are we making a problem out of nothing?
I don't think it's so much the 'allowing' - of course people should be able to do what they see fit with their lives. I think it's the idea of suicide as a 'social' thing, where younger people particularly, many of whom wouldn't have taken such a drastic step, see it in so many of their peers. It therefore takes on a kind of 'media cool' image. Young people are very poor at seeing the impact such things cause, or being able to look forward in their lives and see that, however bad things might currently be, there is the probablity that things will improve. It's almost a kind of 'instant gratification' of the most fatal kind.

Back