• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Summoning Demons

many_angled_one

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
well a few acquaintances of mine are intend on enacting rituals designed to summon demons or other dark spirits, one of which they will try to summon is Azazeal due to the fact in the book of Enoch it says that he taught humanity many secret things such as making weapons & metalurgy. One of their aims is to gain "forbidden" knowledge from them.

While not particularly a good idea I'm not the type of person to say No you cant do that, dont do it. I will however ask them to use protections rather than what they were going to do i.e. sitting in a circle with candles and chanting etc with only a "banishment" ritual to send it off.

Now.... what static arcane/magical/otherwise protections should they use since they are intent on doing this? Preferably the protections should cover most bases.

I was thinking of summoning the thing at a focus point at the centre of a pentagram (well known for binding spirits, demons & protection) drawn in chalk around which is an unbroken circle of iron wire (since Iron is known to ward of the fae & such though perhaps lodestone would be better) and one of salt (purity & cleansing).

Since there are 3 of them they would sit in a triangular pattern outside the circle & pentagram with smaller drawn circles around the place they sit.

Any advice would be appreciated here!

Chainsaws.

I recommend chainsaws. And maybe shotguns.

I would suggest they do a lot of research BEFORE any demons turn up - don't want any suprises with them

Apparently they have done enough research on the summoning side of things (they just neglected the protections *shrugs*).

Many_Angled_One said:
(they just neglected the protections *shrugs*).

Sounds like a bad move - find out when they intend to summon the demon and make sure you are nowhere near :)

It seems that the people who have managed to summon demons usually come to a sticky end when the demon proves to strong for them to contain.

Azazel info here
http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/delirium/mythology/azazel.asp
and here
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/a/azazel.html
Agrippa has him as "King of the South", (?) one of the "Four Princes of divils, offensive in the Elements"
looks more like West according to [url]http://www.esotericarchives.com/agrippa/agrippa2.htm#chap7[/url]
Hmmm. I'd say West. I'm re-reading Agrippa at the moment, but I can't say i've ever really given much thought to Azazel ....
I shouldn't pester him myself :)
If your friends are not experienced I should be inclined to guide them towards one of the less malign goetics - Vassago, Seere etc, the methods for summoning spirits from the Goetia are explicitly explained in many places.

Evocations all follow much the same pattern really .... circle cast and banish, get some powerful good guys on your side, call your beasty into a confined space, talk business with it (being explicit about what you want it to do and NOT to do, when and for how long, and what you are prepared to do for it if it obeys or to it if it doesn't, thank it nicely and let it go, thank the good guys nicely and let them go, banish, close circle, go pub and forget about it.

You may want to/have to scry to be sure the damned thing has shown up - it helps to have someone there who is good at that kind of thing. You will probably want to use incense appropriate to the elemental/planetary etc etc nature of the thing and call it from it's home direction on the day and hour of its main planetary influence etc etc etc. You will want the angel/intelligence/gods or whosoever you trust who also rule that element etc on side to stop it misbehaving and to threaten it with if it is obstinate in showing up or agreeing to your terms.

Evocations are frequently regarded as very dangerous, but really they are more fiddley than anything. As long as your license to depart and final banishing go off ok, and you've been polite and not offered anything too excessive as your side of the bargain (offering to spread the spirit's sigil through artwork/grafitti etc etc or lighting a candle every Monday for a month or some such is usually good enough - any way you can feed em a little energy) you'll probably be ok ... if you can get anything whatsoever to happen in the first place.
All the same I wouldn't really advise all and sundry to just have a go at it.

Thanks for the info lizard 23. From my research Azazel does not seem to be one of the more aggressive demons according to several older texts and indeed is bound bodily in darkness for eternity (by god) according to the book of Enoch. He is associated with freely imparting knowledge to man in several cases.

They are doing the casting of the cirlcle and banishment ritual along with incense & invocing the four compass powers (not sure which ones they are using however). Standard fare really.

hey....I just remembered I have the Goetica I really should look it out. I have so many unread books it is scary.

One 'method' is to have a circle around you with the name of an apostle/angel at each cardinal point. But aside from that, I'd say they're wasting their time. Demons from the Book of Enoch are the brainwrongs of the Essenes in all their paranoid glory ;)

perhaps but the book of Enoch predates the Essene sect as far as I know. Supposidly it predates the old testament of the bible as well.

Going back to the chainsaws and shotguns type stuff again.

Let's say I wanted to load a shotgun cartridge with stuff that would take out just about any supernatural beastie. What would you load it with? I'm looking for a universal anti-spook round here.

I'm thinking a iron pellets (made from melted down horseshoes), wooden flechettes, garlic pellets, rock salt, sage (to make a nasty smell on firing to protect the shooter), silver pellets, four leafed clovers (to improve chances of hitting the target). That kind of thing.

What else should go in the load? What've I forgotten?

And if I were to get both the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Pope, and a Rabbi, and an Ayatollah, and the Archdruid of Glastonbury to all bless my chainsaw, would the blessings all take, or would any of them cancel out one of the others?

Azazel is one of the oldest and darkest of the demons. I would not sanction calling up a demon under any circumstances as anything gained from that source is usually bought at too great a price. Drawing attention to yourself from that direction is not good news.

Leave Azazel alone. If they have not given thought to banishings after a summons then they are definitely too immature to be dealing with the likes of him. He was bound in darkness for a reason and it was not a conspiracy or cover up to keep mankind under the thumb, if you get my meaning.

Many_Angled_One said:
perhaps but the book of Enoch predates the Essene sect as far as I know. Supposidly it predates the old testament of the bible as well.

Hmm - don't think so.

The fact that they actually consider themselves worthy of his time is just making me laugh beyond words.

Depends who you listen to :) I've read more than a few people claiming it predates the old testament. I belive it is more accurately written between 200-50 BC rather than actually being the books written by Enoch as claimed (which would mean it would predate most if not all of the old testament). The essenes came on the seen about 150 BC, Judas being the first named I think. A copy of the book of Enoch was found in the Dead sea scrolls but people are unsure whether they wrote it or it existed prior to that.
Of course doubtless there are earlier versions than we have found to date, there usually are.

This thread is fantastic, because for the most part people are discussing this subject as credible. Please enlighten me:

Who among you has actually summoned a demon or similar entity? What were the circumstances/results? What did the creature look like, and how did it act? Can you summon up entities from differing faiths (Buddhist or Muslim demons)?

I'm not belittling or debunking; just genuinely curious.

Many_Angled_One & Alistair P,

Surely what these enlightened occultists need is the best of both your suggestions: Bishop Manchester WITH chainsaw, shotgun and frilly shirt!

I'm picturing the scene running like this:

Azazeal materialises from the ether in a cloak of flames and quotes a suitably awe-inspiring, fear-inducing, passage from the book of Enoch.

Bishop Manchester points out that it is, in fact, a misquotation and looks smug.

Azazeal: I'll Swallow Your Soul!
Bishop Manchester: Come Get Some !

sorry:rolleyes:

Minor Drag said:
This thread is fantastic, because for the most part people are discussing this subject as credible.

I think it's daft, but amusing nonetheless :D

One does not SUMMON a demon: one GIVES PERMISSION for one to enter our plane of existence.

Once this has happened, an entity can enter. It can be disguised (eg as an insect) so the 'summoner' will not recognise it. It is then free to wreak havoc until it gets bored: nobody knows it is there, so it is unlikely to be sent back or 'banished'.

So it is dangerous to try to summon otherworldly beings without fully understanding that a. one can appear in disguise so you can't spot it and b. you'd better be prepared to banish an entity whether you can see it or not.

I know peeps who've done these things and got themselves a longtime, very nasty 'pet'.

I need specifics, people. Not tantalizing vaguaries.

Think of it as a shudder, not a shiver!

:)

Bootiful!

River_Styx said:
The fact that they actually consider themselves worthy of his time is just making me laugh beyond words.
Yeah. But if what they say about demons is true, we're actually talking about turkeys voting for Christmas here, aren't we?

Don't call up anything you can't put back down again.

Simple enough. There is no such thing as a 'nice' demon, daemon or daimon, Evocating anything is highly dangerous even more so than an Invocation. At least with an invoked entity you're drawing upon something which is a part of yourself; you know it's strengths and weaknesses and can prepare for them (of course the entity knows your strengths and weaknesses too, so it's kinda self balancing, but an invoked enitity is, in theory, dependent upon your for it's existance...)

An evoked entity is completly alien to you. Even if you're summoning a Named being there is no guarantee that the being named will be the one that arrives (it might send an emissary in it's stead) or will agree to abide by the acknowledged rules of prior manifestations... o 0 (Come not in that form! Come not in that form!...) Like Sun Tzu says "...If you know yourself, but no your enemy, then the outcome will be uncertain..."

Basically it's a bad idea... sorry let me make that clearer:

THAT'S A REALLY BAD IDEA

That said I do know of one highly accomplished Adept who can apparently invoke and evoke entities with a thought, and banish them just as easily, by defining the parameters by which they manifest, but even he only does this very rarely!

Finally what if you were to invoke an entity instead of evoke it... how would you banish it???

Me and a group of friends summoned a demon once when we were younger and stupider, and of course without any idea of how to get rid of it.
Consequently we had a scaly, foul-smelling sulphurous entity in the house all the time, helping itself to our beer and food from the fridge, hogging the remote control, playing loud jungle music at 3am, and never leaving my favourite armchair. It only ever watched Channel 5 and would fall asleep clutching the newspaper, knowing I full well wanted to read it. Eventually, after it emptied the contents of some stale Baileys into its foul guts, we persuaded it to get a job as a van driver, then locked all the doors once it passed the front gate on the way to an interview.

But seriously, why is it then whenever this subject is mentioned people seem to grow beards, long fingernails and wild eyes and utter shrill things like "Tis folly! You never know what foul being you're inviting into your midst! Only a Grade 7 sorceror should attempt such a thing!!"

I've spoken to a real hardcore Satanist about this, and she didn't believe in them either.

DoubleDee: less'n ye wrassled wi th' darkside o' ye soul in th' depths of yon fairy wood, nay mock me words, lad!

But seriously. The reason this is a bad idea is because it is. Been there, done that, worn the teashirts, had the sleepless nights, taken the anti-psychotics...

The real reason it's a bad idea is the same as why people still die of voudoun curses: Faith. And don't give me that "I don't believe in that..." because it doesn't matter bo-diddly-squat what your concious mind believes; these things are called up by your subconcious and who can tell what lurks in those dark recesses!

PS: how do you define a "Hardcore Satanist"?

Isaac Asimov

did some stories with that "Azazeal demon guy", that are pretty good..also I agree with niles ,,like "voo doo" its done by people that believe in it "have faith in it" and its so ingrained in their subconcious, that if if they hear some high voo do preist put a hex or curse on them to go blind ..they just might , go blind..wether its real or not..just like "taking in tonges" having hands laid on one', its all a mind trip--just look at some people that get all in a frenzy at "church ralies" etc..they get all hypnotized swaying ,raising their hands, crying jeeez...I would'nt to no organized demon stuff --no way!!:no-no:

"Hardcore Satanist"

Baggy trousers, black hoodie with a pentagram on it, and listens to either crap skatepunk (if he's american), or crap headache inducing dancemusic (if he's British), whilst reading LaVey and biting the heads of black chickens.

Niles you are entirely right you need to have faith for anything to work. Of course that goes for most normal things as well as in magical endeavors. I know its not a particularly great idea which is why I was asking on what ways of containment & protection could be used the idea being summoning it at a focus area from which it cannot move or manifest from. Kinda I summon you within this circle from which you may not move blah blah. I'm not the one doing the summoning, nor the banishment so i dont know what they intend to do exactly.

I defy anybody not to at least contemplate the existance of demons when isolated in the dark and lost in a scary place such as an unknown cave or something. Despite what peoples rational mind may think the deep dark corners of your subconsious mind are very much active & beleiving. Even if you dont believe in other entities how about your own demons called up from your mind which some may say are the same thing & psychic phonemna?

People do say they call up demons ghost dog but usually they are not believed and it's not as if they normally leave solid proof is it? Who knows how many mysterious disappearences or deaths or mental breakdowns are caused by demons or other spirits, we dont, cant know.

escargot - I see summoning much as a *open door and say come on in XXX* both calling it and giving it permission to come through.

You need to have faith for anything to work... what ways of containment & protection could be used

In which case, you've got to have things that you have faith in to protect you.

I've seen various examples of this school of thought - the classic one being the film where the yuppie holds off a vampire with his credit card.

Salt and iron and arcane symbols used to work for people because that was what they were told would work, and perhaps people had enough faith in them that they did.

In this day and age, protection from demons and other evil creatures from the dark could possibly be gained from a favourite childhood teddy bear, or maybe a poster of Bruce Campbell.

I know this might sound glib, but I'm quite serious about it. People used to have faith that Jesus Christ could hold back demons. Maybe 'Come Get Some!' is a more modern and effective counter charm than 'Get thee behind me Satan'.

Back