• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Summoning Demons

stevo said:
So why do bored demons harass American Christians (or was that a joke?)...

well it sort of was.

I just noticed that all these TV hauntings series that allegedly involved demons possessing a house and terrorising the family usally involved devout god fearing people who just so happen to live in America, normally accompanied with a deep south accent???

I'd be interested to see a study of alleged demon possession and see how many of those listed happened to be of a Christian faith.

I guess it maybe down to a definition of what a demon is. These christian families and their clergy would instantly highlight any non-instrument of god as evil, work of the devil and therefore a demon.

I would bet that demon possession is the most unlikely of scenarios in these cases, and simply a product of a god fearing education.

Moon Maiden

Hmm, if all demons (it could be argued) are a religious construct then the reality of the risk involved in summoning such entities would be: zero.

This article outlines the 19th century descriptions and depictions of some western/near-eastern religion's badboys according to Collin de Plancy in his 1863 megawork, Dictionnaire infernal.

It is an illustrated essay called Defining The Demonic, and I found it interesting - happened upon it while shallow surfing Azazel.
https://publicdomainreview.org/essay/defining-the-demonic
"In his Grimoires: A History of Magic Books, the historian Owen Davies writes of how grimoires are marked by a “desire for knowledge and the enduring impulse to restrict and control it”, a description that could certainly be applied to the projects of Johnson and Murray. “Grimoires exist”, he goes on, “because of the desire to create a physical record of magical knowledge, reflecting concerns regarding the uncontrollable and corruptible nature of . . . sacred information.” While it’s true that the grand experiment of the Enlightenment was supposedly to shine the light of rationality upon the shadows of superstition, the desire to assemble all possible information is one which the grimoire and the dictionary share. And this yearning towards completion and the all-encompassing is not just a superficial similarity, for in their obsessions with words and language, the grimoire and the dictionary share a common faith — that mere verbal pronouncements have the ability to rewrite reality itself."

There was a seminal book in my formative years:

'Magic: An Occult Primer'
By David Conway

I wondered if there might be a copy available online and delighted to confirm the affirmative:

https://pdfroom.com/books/magic-an-occult-primer/zydD8b8Zd14/amp

Whilst this entire book is quite wondrous, the specific reference therein is chapter 11:

'A Word About Demons'

A treatise addressing the subject of summoning demons, Conway offers sage wisdom concerning consequences, should anyone wish to persue this perilous path.

There was a seminal book in my formative years:

'Magic: An Occult Primer'
By David Conway

I wondered if there might be a copy available online and delighted to confirm the affirmative:

https://pdfroom.com/books/magic-an-occult-primer/zydD8b8Zd14/amp

Whilst this entire book is quite wondrous, the specific reference therein is chapter 11:

'A Word About Demons'

A treatise addressing the subject of summoning demons, Conway offers sage wisdom concerning consequences, should anyone wish to persue this perilous path.
I've still got that, I've used it to try an add a bit of authenticity to scripts... Never tried any of the rituals for real, partly because a lot of the stuff isn't available at your local Tesco's. My take on summoning demons, is that it's not whether they're objectively real or not, it's the act of believing in them and trying to summon them that messes your head up, if they do exist and you succeed, you're in even more trouble...

I've still got that, I've used it to try an add a bit of authenticity to scripts... Never tried any of the rituals for real, partly because a lot of the stuff isn't available at your local Tesco's. My take on summoning demons, is that it's not whether they're objectively real or not, it's the act of believing in them and trying to summon them that messes your head up, if they do exist and you succeed, you're in even more trouble...
Careful now, look what happened to Doctor Faustus. :evillaugh:

if they do exist and you succeed, you're in even more trouble...
The reason I replied on this thread, is David Conway's closing comments - just one of those things which made an impact and I have always remembered:

"As promised, I have had a word in your ear about consorting with demons. The best word, of course, is don't".

You mentioned:

"Never tried any of the rituals for real, partly because a lot of the stuff isn't available at your local Tesco's".

If you have a local 'Holland & Barrett'... :twothumbs:

I just saw this on another site and thought it might be of interest to you armchair demonologists out there:

Persian Demons from a Book of Magic and Astrology (1921) (from the Public Domain Review)

"These watercolours come from a bound manuscript written by a rammal — or soothsayer — in Isfahan, Iran. According to Ali Karjoo-Ravary, the paintings were added one or two decades after the composition of the text — a treatise on spells and demons, “among other creatures, that are associated with each sign of the zodiac.” The pictures, Karjoo-Ravary continues:
are accompanied with ritual prescriptions for dealing with the different creatures. The author attributes his knowledge to the Biblical Solomon, who was known for his power over demons and spirits.
. . . " naughty demon.jpg

well a few acquaintances of mine are intend on enacting rituals designed to summon demons or other dark spirits, one of which they will try to summon is Azazeal due to the fact in the book of Enoch it says that he taught humanity many secret things such as making weapons & metalurgy. One of their aims is to gain "forbidden" knowledge from them.

While not particularly a good idea I'm not the type of person to say No you cant do that, dont do it. I will however ask them to use protections rather than what they were going to do i.e. sitting in a circle with candles and chanting etc with only a "banishment" ritual to send it off.

Now.... what static arcane/magical/otherwise protections should they use since they are intent on doing this? Preferably the protections should cover most bases.

I was thinking of summoning the thing at a focus point at the centre of a pentagram (well known for binding spirits, demons & protection) drawn in chalk around which is an unbroken circle of iron wire (since Iron is known to ward of the fae & such though perhaps lodestone would be better) and one of salt (purity & cleansing).

Since there are 3 of them they would sit in a triangular pattern outside the circle & pentagram with smaller drawn circles around the place they sit.

Any advice would be appreciated here!
The main issue when it comes to any ritualistic practice is that, while the intentions of the of the initial oculist may be well meaning, to copy and write down knowledge from the outer ones the exact knowledge written is flawed, or sup par compared to its source and so the results may be different, say, contacting the wrong entity; however there are a couple routes one can take in this endeavor, to try and learn from the source or to try and replicate the mind/mental state per se of the original author, the first option can be successful though it may be hit or miss whether or not the entity wishes to communicate, as for the latter option, it is a bit easier to create a facsimile of the author wherein modern occultism is involved, in which one has the means to either communicate with the author directly, or to have a recordings.
In terms of protection then it is important to gain the knowledge of whoever created this communication, if you are the ones to do so then in that regard, the will is the most important aspect.

You may enjoy Benevenuto Cellini's colourful account of his invocation of demons at the Coliseum (in 16th century Rome).
He tells of this story in his Memoirs, and it is well worth the read !

I unfortunately haven't managed to locate a free online version of this story in English, but for those of you who read French, you'll find the account on google books here, starting from page 149 : https://www.google.fr/books/edition/Mémoires_de_Benvenuto_Cellini/J3AOAAAAQAAJ?hl=fr&gbpv=1

*** edit ***

Below, a translation attempt :

"At that time, I fell in love with a beautiful young Sicilian, who seemed to pay my attentions back. Her mother noticed our flirtation and started to fear its consequences. I was planning to escape with the lady and to keep her with me for one year [note : it seems to imply a baby was under way], but her mother secretly took her to Naples through Ostia, instead of Civita Vecchia. I ran to Civita Vecchia and attempted a thousand pointless extravaganzas in order to find them, almost falling into madness and dying from despair. But soon, I diverted myself into other pleasures and pursued other loves in order to forget this one.

I took a certain Sicilian priest as a witness of my sickness, and he became my friend. He was a well learned man, knowing Greek and Latin, and full of wit. One day, as we were chatting, we came to speak of necromancy, and I told him that I had long hoped to learn some. He answered that, to practice that art, one had to have a heart full of strength and bravery. To what I replied that I wasn’t lacking any of these qualities. He concurred and we agreed to make an experiment. While he set everything ready, he told me to go fetch a companion or even better, two. I came back with my dear friend Vincento Romoli, who had brought with him a man form Pistoia with some knowledge of these arts. Thereafter, when the night came, we all travelled to the Coliseum.

There, the priest started to draw circles on the ground, in accordance with the rules of his art, and conforming to the required rite. He had told us to bring some Asa Foetida, some fire, and all kinds of perfumes. He thereafter drafted some doors to his circles. He took my hand and the Pistoia’s man’s hand and asked us to throw our perfumes in the fire. The remaining participant was tasked with taking care of the fire. The priest started conjuring. Immediately, legions of devils appeared and filled the Coliseum. When he saw that enough perfume had been spent, he asked me : “Benvenuto, ask them something" ! I asked them to show me the Sicilian Angelica. This evening, we did not get any answer, but I had the pleasure of seeing demons. Our necromancer concluded : “That’s not enough. We need to do it again, but this time, bring with you a virgin boy. I choose a 12 years’old apprentice I had, warned Romoli of our intended attempt, and took with me another friend called Agnolo Goddi.

Having once again arrived at the Coliseum, the priest did the same preparations again, but more carefully than before, and entered the circle he had drawn. He ordered Romoli and Goddi to take care of the fire and perfumes, and handed me a kind of flag inscribed with magical symbols, commanding me to point it towards where he would tell me. Under the flag I kept my 12 years’ old student.

He thereafter started chanting his fearsome incantations in Hebrew, Greek and Latin, naming the devils and conjuring them in the name of the Increated, Living and Eternal God. Then came a hundred more demons than during our last try. On the necromancer’s advice, I again asked them to show me Angelica, and he told me : “do you hear that they are saying that you will be with her before a month ? Hold fast, because, there came a hundred legions of devils more than I conjured. And these are the more dangerous. One should speak to them politely and send them away softly”. The boy, under the flag, started panicking, saying that he was seeing millions of soldiers threatening us, and that four giants were about to charge us with their weapons.

Meanwhile, the priest, who was by now shaking with fear, was trying to dismiss the devilish host with gentle words. Romoli could not stand it anymore, but kept taking care of the perfumes. And although I was neither more peaceful nor firm, I tried to look stern in order to inspire some courage to my companions. But in truth, I was mortified to see that the necromancer was as terrified as ourselves.

By now, the young boy had put his head between his knees and was shouting : “I want to die ! We are all dead !”. I did my best to comfort him saying that all these devils were serving us, that we were just shadows and smoke, but, raising his head, he shouted again : “Look ! The whole Coliseum is burning ! The fire is going to take us ! We are all dead …”.

The necromancer asked me to hold fast and burn some Asa Foetida. Goddi was half dead, his eyes popping out of his head. I asked him not to be afraid and to keep taking care of the fire and perfumes. Then, this man moved, and emitted a noise which had such a consequence that it stinked more than all the Asa Foetida
[note : an uncontrolled fart, most probably]. The boy raised his head again to see me smiling and said that it seemed the devils were starting to leave. Everything finished when matins were sounded, and the boy told us that all the devils were gone.

When the necromancer finished his ritual, he left his sorcerer’s clothes, took his books of magic, and we left the coliseum, supporting each other. The young boy, who was walking in the middle of our group, assured us that he had seen two demons escaping, jumping over the roofs. The priest told us that he never had experimented with such a powerful enchantment, and that, if I agreed, he would consecrate a book from which we could make a fortune, because it would empower us over the demons, and force them to reveal where lost treasures were hidden. Instead, love requests were crazy and futile as they never led to any profit. I answered that had I spoken Latin well enough I would have consented to join him in this quest. To what he retorted that Latin was useless, and that it was easy to find Latin speakers
[reminder : it’s a 16th century tale], but people with such firmness of the heart as mine were hard to find. Thus chatting, we came home to rest …. and dreamt only of devils, all the night through."

Interesting story, isn't it ?

Last edited:
You may enjoy Benevenuto Cellini's colourful account of his invocation of demons at the Coliseum (in 16th century Rome).
He tells of this story in his Memoirs, and it is well worth the read !

I unfortunately haven't managed to locate a free online version of this story in English, but for those of you who read French, you'll find the account on google books here, starting from page 149 : https://www.google.fr/books/edition/Mémoires_de_Benvenuto_Cellini/J3AOAAAAQAAJ?hl=fr&gbpv=1

*** edit ***

Below, a translation attempt :

"At that time, I fell in love with a beautiful young Sicilian, who seemed to pay my attentions back. Her mother noticed our flirtation and started to fear its consequences. I was planning to escape with the lady and to keep her with me for one year [note : it seems to imply a baby was under way], but her mother secretly took her to Naples through Ostia, instead of Civita Vecchia. I ran to Civita Vecchia and attempted a thousand pointless extravaganzas in order to find them, almost falling into madness and dying from despair. But soon, I diverted myself into other pleasures and pursued other loves in order to forget this one.

I took a certain Sicilian priest as a witness of my sickness, and he became my friend. He was a well learned man, knowing Greek and Latin, and full of wit. One day, as we were chatting, we came to speak of necromancy, and I told him that I had long hoped to learn some. He answered that, to practice that art, one had to have a heart full of strength and bravery. To what I replied that I wasn’t lacking any of these qualities. He concurred and we agreed to make an experiment. While he set everything ready, he told me to go fetch a companion or even better, two. I came back with my dear friend Vincento Romoli, who had brought with him a man form Pistoia with some knowledge of these arts. Thereafter, when the night came, we all travelled to the Coliseum.

There, the priest started to draw circles on the ground, in accordance with the rules of his art, and conforming to the required rite. He had told us to bring some Asa Foetida, some fire, and all kinds of perfumes. He thereafter drafted some doors to his circles. He took my hand and the Pistoia’s man’s hand and asked us to throw our perfumes in the fire. The remaining participant was tasked with taking care of the fire. The priest started conjuring. Immediately, legions of devils appeared and filled the Coliseum. When he saw that enough perfume had been spent, he asked me : “Benvenuto, ask them something" ! I asked them to show me the Sicilian Angelica. This evening, we did not get any answer, but I had the pleasure of seeing demons. Our necromancer concluded : “That’s not enough. We need to do it again, but this time, bring with you a virgin boy. I choose a 12 years’old apprentice I had, warned Romoli of our intended attempt, and took with me another friend called Agnolo Goddi.

Having once again arrived at the Coliseum, the priest did the same preparations again, but more carefully than before, and entered the circle he had drawn. He ordered Romoli and Goddi to take care of the fire and perfumes, and handed me a kind of flag inscribed with magical symbols, commanding me to point it towards where he would tell me. Under the flag I kept my 12 years’ old student.

He thereafter started chanting his fearsome incantations in Hebrew, Greek and Latin, naming the devils and conjuring them in the name of the Increated, Living and Eternal God. Then came a hundred more demons than during our last try. On the necromancer’s advice, I again asked them to show me Angelica, and he told me : “do you hear that they are saying that you will be with her before a month ? Hold fast, because, there came a hundred legions of devils more than I conjured. And these are the more dangerous. One should speak to them politely and send them away softly”. The boy, under the flag, started panicking, saying that he was seeing millions of soldiers threatening us, and that four giants were about to charge us with their weapons.

Meanwhile, the priest, who was by now shaking with fear, was trying to dismiss the devilish host with gentle words. Romoli could not stand it anymore, but kept taking care of the perfumes. And although I was neither more peaceful nor firm, I tried to look stern in order to inspire some courage to my companions. But in truth, I was mortified to see that the necromancer was as terrified as ourselves.

By now, the young boy had put his head between his knees and was shouting : “I want to die ! We are all dead !”. I did my best to comfort him saying that all these devils were serving us, that we were just shadows and smoke, but, raising his head, he shouted again : “Look ! The whole Coliseum is burning ! The fire is going to take us ! We are all dead …”.

The necromancer asked me to hold fast and burn some Asa Foetida. Goddi was half dead, his eyes popping out of his head. I asked him not to be afraid and to keep taking care of the fire and perfumes. Then, this man moved, and emitted a noise which had such a consequence that it stinked more than all the Asa Foetida
[note : an uncontrolled fart, most probably]. The boy raised his head again to see me smiling and said that it seemed the devils were starting to leave. Everything finished when matins were sounded, and the boy told us that all the devils were gone.

When the necromancer finished his ritual, he left his sorcerer’s clothes, took his books of magic, and we left the coliseum, supporting each other. The young boy, who was walking in the middle of our group, assured us that he had seen two demons escaping, jumping over the roofs. The priest told us that he never had experimented with such a powerful enchantment, and that, if I agreed, he would consecrate a book from which we could make a fortune, because it would empower us over the demons, and force them to reveal where lost treasures were hidden. Instead, love requests were crazy and futile as they never led to any profit. I answered that had I spoken Latin well enough I would have consented to join him in this quest. To what he retorted that Latin was useless, and that it was easy to find Latin speakers
[reminder : it’s a 16th century tale], but people with such firmness of the heart as mine were hard to find. Thus chatting, we came home to rest …. and dreamt only of devils, all the night through."

Interesting story, isn't it ?
Which once again proves the wisdom of the Lovecraft quote:

Never call up that which you cannot put down.

About 50 years back there was a rather battered small black book in Heywood library
that told how to summon the devil, you drew a pentangle cut a hazel twig at midnight
with a new knife placed them in the pentangle then standing in the pentangle you
could call one of 3 demons depending on what you wanted them to grant, it gave
how to call them and said they then must appear.
The demon could not harm you wile you were in the pentangle but could use all sorts
of tricks to get you to come out they could then take you.
You could then demand the demon to give you what it was you wanted, and the book
gave instructions on how to send the demon back to were it came from.
I don't remember it in full or know of anyone that tried it the thing that stuck in my mind
was the the "He will appear" I think is the way it was put no doubt it was going to happen.

:dunno:

I once asked an academic scholar of Grimoires and Magic History the following question on his blog:
  • Well ... then they did the ceremony and of course no daemon appeared. So what did it to with their belief? How did they handle that?
His answer was IIRC:
  • I have no time to go into that question in depth.
  • It is not the right way to approach this question.
So I'm still in the dark.

well a few acquaintances of mine are intend on enacting rituals designed to summon demons or other dark spirits, one of which they will try to summon is Azazeal due to the fact in the book of Enoch it says that he taught humanity many secret things such as making weapons & metalurgy. One of their aims is to gain "forbidden" knowledge from them.

While not particularly a good idea I'm not the type of person to say No you cant do that, dont do it. I will however ask them to use protections rather than what they were going to do i.e. sitting in a circle with candles and chanting etc with only a "banishment" ritual to send it off.

Now.... what static arcane/magical/otherwise protections should they use since they are intent on doing this? Preferably the protections should cover most bases.

I was thinking of summoning the thing at a focus point at the centre of a pentagram (well known for binding spirits, demons & protection) drawn in chalk around which is an unbroken circle of iron wire (since Iron is known to ward of the fae & such though perhaps lodestone would be better) and one of salt (purity & cleansing).

Since there are 3 of them they would sit in a triangular pattern outside the circle & pentagram with smaller drawn circles around the place they sit.

Any advice would be appreciated here!
Demons/Fallen Angels shouldn't be messed with

Reactions: RaM
And I am no help as I didn't try it and don't know anyone that did.

Does anyone know if demons can actually be summoned?
I've heard about burning black candles to set a 'curse' on someone, anyone have any experience with that?

All of our Demons are busy right now torturing other souls.
Your summoning is important to us, to help us damn you properly please select from the following. If you are interested in selling your soul press one, if you have sold your soul and are looking for better terms hang up now. For all other enquiries please hold.
All of our summonings are recorded for training and security purposes.
To save time you can now damn yourself eternally on our website at ......................

I'm sure the above sequence or variants on it are demonic invention anyway.

All of our Demons are busy right now torturing other souls.
Your summoning is important to us, to help us damn you properly please select from the following. If you are interested in selling your soul press one, if you have sold your soul and are looking for better terms hang up now. For all other enquiries please hold.
All of our summonings are recorded for training and security purposes.
To save time you can now damn yourself eternally on our website at ......................

I'm sure the above sequence or variants on it are demonic invention anyway.
What would the 'on hold' music be?
Would it be soul music?

What would the 'on hold' music be?
Would it be soul music?

No ... There's too much soul music that's life-affirming and / or so contagiously dance-worthy you might lose interest in death.

The more effective muzak would be something geared to making you continue to wish for damnation and / or the end - e.g., turgid indecipherable opera or most any "metal" ...

No ... There's too much soul music that's life-affirming and / or so contagiously dance-worthy you might lose interest in death.

The more effective muzak would be something geared to making you continue to wish for damnation and / or the end - e.g., turgid indecipherable opera or most any "metal" ...

“Well, basically there are two sorts of opera," said Nanny, who also had the true witch's ability to be confidently expert on the basis of no experience whatsoever. "There's your heavy opera, where basically people sing foreign and it goes like "Oh oh oh, I am dyin', oh I am dyin', oh oh oh, that's what I'm doin'", and there's your light opera, where they sing in foreign and it basically goes "Beer! Beer! Beer! Beer! I like to drink lots of beer!", although sometimes they drink champagne instead. That's basically all of opera, reely.”

Sir Terry Pratchett, Maskerade

Does anyone know if demons can actually be summoned?
I've heard about burning black candles to set a 'curse' on someone, anyone have any experience with that?
communing with outer ones does not require candles, they can be called upon whether or not they respond is up to them, the main caveat is that such entities, "demons" as you call them can exist adjacent to our current reality though can manifest its will onto our reality, just as one can manifest their will onto other layers of reality, some things may be useful to attract outer ones, such as extreme emotions.

Good academic lecture by J Sledge on our topic. Irritatingly, the institution doesn't know how to record/upload sound and vision in sync, but it's still a good listen. This is a broad overview of the entry of both pagan AND liturgical summoning processes & texts from 11th to 16th centuries in Europe. JS has detailed vlog chapters on all this stuff on his ESOTERICA project on youtube.

Back