• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sun Simulator: Concept & YT Videos?

Ermintruder

The greatest risk is to risk nothing at all...
Type the words "Sun Simulator" into the search bar on YouTube, and bask in the glow of numerous lurid (but intriguing) video claims regarding the purported presence of a simulated sun in the sky.

In summary, this is either:
  • A Grand Conspiracy, of the very-best international type
  • Nothing to do with Flat Earth claims
  • Everything to do with FE claims
  • Related to 'Nibru'
  • There to compensate for the claimed accelerating demise of our sun / non-canonical eclipses
  • Nothing to do with 'chem trails'
  • Everything to do with 'chem trails'
I have a (hopefully not-unique) advantage over many people, and that is that I don't believe in very much to start with, so I've little trouble in suspecting the veracity of these claims.

And also a head-start in at least contemplating that there could be some kind of truth/clue/insight interwoven within this weird internet fable...

Note that I think some of the claiments are being confused by the fundamental limitations in their camera equipment. But... the world may well be stranger than most of us will ever know.

We do not hold every answer. But always remember- when a crazy man tells you the truth, it is the truth: even when he fails to tell you it's a lie...so don't feed him his lines.

Two words: 'how' and 'why'.

Is this to compensate for 'global dimming'?

I'd recommend this --

shopping

but I doubt if most of these people have the slightest interest in, and most would probably have a violent aversion to, any rational explanation of these phenomena. I suspect some of these videos are tongue-in-cheek, trying to sucker the more gullible conspiracy aficionados. The rest are just a depressing stew of invincible ignorance and paranoia.

I despair . . .

It sounds like someone read about how some observatories use lasers to make "stars" of known brightness in the atmosphere to calibrate their telescopes on, and then went off the deep end.

It sounds like someone read about how some observatories use lasers to make "stars" of known brightness in the atmosphere to calibrate their telescopes on, and then went off the deep end.

A more recent example (from last summer ... ) was the Russian Mayak satellite, which was supposed to deploy reflective panels and become the second-brightest object in the nighttime sky (after the moon). The panels apparently failed to deploy.

The notion of an orbiting reflective array has been batted around since the Sixties, in relation to everything from large-area night illumination to power generation to focused destructive beams.

On a related note...rather than falling down rabbit-holes of reference to the so-called 'Mandela Effect', or taking cover behind the bulwark of false memories....

Why am I convinced that the sun of my (British) childhood was large, yellow and warming, and low in the sky, in the summer at least?

Why am I certain that the sun I now see 40 years on is always small & high, dazzlingly-white (more light than heat) and....ineffectual?

I've mentioned this before, here on the forum. It is a Youtube trope (which I found, after slowly realising there might be a bit of a solar change, in my opinion, certainly from a 56¼degN perspective)

Do not simply dismiss this, please.

I don't mean the Sun Simulator concept,

I mean the arguable perception that the sun may subjectively seem less than it was, and perhaps is, somehow, diminished. I utterly hope that I'm just substantially self-deluded on this point. But I may not be...

And: as if on cue...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Sun

A massive international tv sci fi drama series, produced between BBC, Hulu and ZDF, predicated upon the fictional situation that the world is ending in 5 yrs time.

Interesting...not that we need any social pre-conditioning, of course. Or do we?

Last edited:
Why am I convinced that the sun of my (British) childhood was large, yellow and warming, and low in the sky, in the summer at least?
Maybe because that's how it's always depicted in drawings/cartoons. Reminds me of something on QI a while back, about how everyone has childhood memories of playing in the snow on Christmas day, when in fact Britain has only experienced four white Christmases in the past 100 years. It's just cultural conditioning.

Just thinking out loud here, but could it be because the atmosphere is cleaner now? Spectacular colors at sunrise and sunset are due (I am told) to particulates and pollution. Could there also be a similar, less pronounced effect when the sun is at a higher angle in the sky?

Yes - I believe that's a factor for those who live in the more industrialized areas / regions (or areas over which somebody else's heavy pollution would spread).

in fact Britain has only experienced four white Christmases in the past 100 years. It's just cultural conditioning.

Not really the case though. It's only deemed to be a white Christmas if snow actually falls on the day itself. Kids could be playing in snow from a fall on Christmas Eve.

Okay, okay...I'm a pedant! :)

Not really the case though. It's only deemed to be a white Christmas if snow actually falls on the day itself. Kids could be playing in snow from a fall on Christmas Eve.

Okay, okay...I'm a pedant! :)

And it depends where you live e.g. Caithness or Cornwall.

Are you saying that in 100 years there's only been snow at christmas, anywhere in the country, four times?

Are you saying that in 100 years there's only been snow at christmas, anywhere in the country, four times?

I think the QI thing may be a slightly mistaken version of this factoid (from the Met Office website):

In terms of the statistical likelihood of snow based on climatology, we know that a snowflake has fallen somewhere in the UK on Christmas Day 38 times in the last 54 years, so we can probably expect more than half of all Christmas Days to be a 'white Christmas'.

However the Dickensian scene of widespread snow lying on the ground on Christmas Day is much rarer. There has only been a widespread covering of snow on the ground (where more than 40% of stations in the UK reported snow on the ground at 9 am) four times in the last 51 years.

Type the words "Sun Simulator" into the search bar on YouTube, and bask in the glow of numerous lurid (but intriguing) video claims regarding the purported presence of a simulated sun in the sky.

Hmmm... I've encountered some of these whilst browsing YouTube for paranormal and mystery stuff, and from the few I've seen I've decided its probably people being mistaken on how cameras work; for example:

This one purports to show clouds going behind the sun. But I think this is something to do with an illusion of the sunlight being bigger than it actually is, or something (I don't know the technical term, sorry) but it's about the intensity of the sunlight making it appear to go in front of the clouds?

(I liken it to the phenomenon I've seen often on TV where, say in a scene with a straight line like a windowsill, sometimes you see the entire line of the windowsill through a person standing in front of it? You probably know the thing I'm talking about?)
upload_2018-6-2_21-27-15.png

And ones where they show a sort of hexagon/octagon shape of dots - isn't that the camera lens/aperture making the effect? Because the shutters make that same shape.

As I said above, I think it's probably these sort of explanations. But, I do like to keep a slightly open mind about everything, so I remain open to the possibility that there could be something going on.

Now here's one that I don't have an explanation for - (if indeed my above explanations are correct) but I'm assuming it to be another type of camera anomaly (NOTE I'm not saying I think it's proof of anything, I just can't explain it within the limits of my camera knowledge). Here's a screenshot - the anomaly in question is the little dark dot in the middle of the sun:

upload_2018-6-2_21-39-35.png

EDIT: removed anomalous Stephen Fry picture that somehow got attached.

On a related note...rather than falling down rabbit-holes of reference to the so-called 'Mandela Effect', or taking cover behind the bulwark of false memories....

Why am I certain that the sun I now see 40 years on is always small & high, dazzlingly-white (more light than heat) and....ineffectual?

I would agree with this... and it's not just remembering painting a yellow sun on a blue sky when I was in primary school. The sun does seem whiter than it used to be. Mr Zebra also thinks this.

The other thing I would say about the sun, is that it feels different on my skin. Now, I've never been one to tolerate a great deal of heat because of dysautomnia, but in recent years I notice that the sun feels more intense on my skin - I want to say it's like burning but it's not that it gives me sunburn, it's just like... even just being out in strong sun for less than 30 seconds / 1 minute I find the feel of the sun on my skin intolerable, it's just intense, somehow, in a way it never used to be and I just want t go back inside.

Have you experienced this feeling too?

I've mentioned this before, here on the forum. It is a Youtube trope (which I found, after slowly realising there might be a bit of a solar change, in my opinion, certainly from a 56¼degN perspective)

I think there are few (if any) things which should be dismissed out-of-hand :) Everything is worth at least a cursory moment of contemplation, some things more than others. It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it, after all :)

A massive international tv sci fi drama series, produced between BBC, Hulu and ZDF, predicated upon the fictional situation that the world is ending in 5 yrs time.

Interesting...not that we need any social pre-conditioning, of course. Or do we?

There are, or so I've heard (I can't remember the last time I watched a modern film), a great many films and tv programmes in recent years which supposedly are 'drip feeding' disclosure to the masses. Take of that what you will. :)

Another possibility is the change in the colour and intensity of the Sun is down to changes in your eyes.
I've just had the second of my cataract ops done, and while it was noticeable when I'd had the first eye done, colours have definitely shifted slighty (to the blue) and intensity of light is definitely up. Cataracts are a bit extreme, but perhaps everyone's perception of colour and light intensity shifts as they get on. Similarly, the change in how sunlight feels could be down to changes in the skin.

Another possibility is the change in the colour and intensity of the Sun is down to changes in your eyes.
But (subjectively, and on so many levels) aside from focus myopia, my vision seems excellent and unchanged (unlike my overdraft).

And why would this change in perception only be in relation to the sun? (notwithstanding this rebuttal, you make an excellent point)
Changes in pollution could probably influence the amount of rayleigh-scattering in the atmosphere.
Well, this isn't so much the elephant in the room, as the stalking horse in the attic. I'd feel positively-relieved, if its just caused by anthropogenic pollution. That, at least, would not be end-game solar death (cosmologically-speaking)

Kids today, eh? Back in my day an anomalous spot in front of the sun would've been taken as proof of alien visitation! Pah!

Random responses:

Nobody is talking about geography. I live and work in Russia. Occasionally I am joined here by fellow teachers who have recently worked in countries like Spain and they report that the Russian sun looks different - whiter and more distant. Some account for this simply by the fact that we're just that bit further away from it. I dunno though...

I am an avid sun hater: I genuinely dislike summer. Prolonged exposure to sunlight makes me feel strangely apprehensive and out of sorts. I have never sunbathed and it amazes me that anyone can!

This thread immediatley put me in mind of S.F the novel The Doomed City by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky, which I have recently read. In this, people from different parts of Earth's history find themselves living in an analogue city as a part of a nameless Experiment. There is a simulated sun there too - one which is switched on and off like a lamp. We never really find out who is doing this, or why.

I am also reminded of the notorious hoax TV documentary `Alternative Three` which also had an end of the world premise based on (if memory serves) the sun going caput in some way.

That shared video above is a sample of a new social phenomena: The Semi-Educated Rich American Kid With Too Much Time On His Hands. They live in nice neighbourhoods and have things like drones and all sorts of video technlolgy but appear to have no need to work and are only semi-literate. They generally support Trump and are very fond of laboriously elaborate anti-science ideas such as Flat Earth or or 9/11 truthism and (now apparently) the sun being a simulation.

I don't mean the Sun Simulator concept,

I mean the arguable perception that the sun may subjectively seem less than it was, and perhaps is, somehow, diminished. I utterly hope that I'm just substantially self-deluded on this point. But I may not be...

And: as if on cue...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Sun

I reckon that's more down to children's senses being more sensitive, so the younger you would experience things far more intensely.
Or as Pink Floyd put it:

"Beyond the horizon of the place we lived when we were young
In a world of magnets and miracles
Our thoughts strayed constantly and without boundary
The ringing of the division bell had begun

The grass was greener
The light was brighter
The taste was sweeter
The nights of wonder
With friends surrounded
The dawn mist glowing
The water flowing