• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Super-HD Daydreams

Odifassa

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm being presumptuous by posting this here, but I reckon people interested in parapsychology would probably have the best odds of 'getting' what I'm on about.

Now and then when I'm resting my eyes or just got in to bed I experience what I can only describe as Super HD video clips. They happen in the top right of my closed eyed vision and change topic every couple of seconds (Sometimes moving to a more central position in my mind's view). It really is like watching fragments of a movie, I can see people and place and things I've never seen or don't remember seeing. Sometimes the images are extremely gruesome and other times vibrantly beautiful, but rarely mundane and always finely detailed and with sweeping cinematics.

Does anyone else get these? They are really entertaining and I can usually get them to start by themselves when I remember they exist.

Sounds like hypnogogic visions; they usually are very vivid and detailed.

I always find mine quite threatening, even if the subjects aren't!

Sometimes I get snippets of conversation while I'm resting or about to fall asleep.

Hypnopompic, I believe is the term for the audible version.

I sometimes wonder if I'm picking up on a neighbor's conversation or something.

Then again, it could me my brain preparing my for dreamtime.

Very interesting, just read up on hypnogogic and hypnopompic business. I'm glad you mentioned the voices as I wasn't sure if I was going mad! I sometimes hear short phrases in both a male and female voice and it's always in an american accent!

MercuryCrest said:
Hypnopompic, I believe is the term for the audible version.
I think hypnogogic is when you're falling asleep and hypnopompic when you're waking up.

Either can be audio or visual or both.

This is interesting as I used to experience this when I was a drivers mate at Etam. On some of the long journeys I`d be slumped to one side not asleep but just resting my eyes. Several times whilst doing this I began seeing moving images that looked B/W at first, but slowly developed into colour. On one occasion I saw breeze blocked walls with a grey metal door that had yellow&white diagonal stickers upon it. In another I saw a lake, with grassy mounts ahead that contained dorma-like (looked like cannons) structures and people walking along.

I never heard any sounds or speech - but to be quite honest, the noise of the engine almost made you deaf.

Mine tend to involve long fairly detailed journeys across the countryside: roads open up and I travel down them at speed. The land is lush and green and evidence of there being people is given by walls, fences, bridges, et c, that can't have happened naturally, although I rarely see habitations (usually as distant lights reminiscent of isolated houses seen by night). The journey can be by night or day, but most often in an early morning or evening twilight; this has no relation to the time of day where I switch my head off and have the "daydream".

The other evening I closed my eyes and saw what looked like a very wide blackboard packed full of intricate mathematical equations written in chalk.

I could read them quite clearly though I had no understanding of them. I tried opening then closing my eyes and they were still there.

Then after a few seconds they faded away.

The other evening I closed my eyes and saw what looked like a very wide blackboard packed full of intricate mathematical equations written in chalk.

I could read them quite clearly though I had no understanding of them. I tried opening then closing my eyes and they were still there.

Ah! The secret of Life, the Universe, and Everything revealed, and then hidden away again!

Next time, please note them down.

Could you recognise any of the symbols? By implication, do you have at least a high-school recognition of eg calculus symbols or sigmas? Or set notation? Was the board just totally-packed, or was there any impression of two or more columns of written equations?

The board was pretty much packed with equations, though they seemed quite neatly written out. Rows rather than columns.

I have no knowledge of calculus.

I've tried closing my eyes and imagining the board back again, but no dice.

It would have taken absolutely ages to copy it all out and the experience only lasted for around 15 to 20 seconds at most.

Secrets of the Universe...gone! Aiiieee!

I'm being presumptuous by posting this here, but I reckon people interested in parapsychology would probably have the best odds of 'getting' what I'm on about.

Now and then when I'm resting my eyes or just got in to bed I experience what I can only describe as Super HD video clips. They happen in the top right of my closed eyed vision and change topic every couple of seconds (Sometimes moving to a more central position in my mind's view). It really is like watching fragments of a movie, I can see people and place and things I've never seen or don't remember seeing. Sometimes the images are extremely gruesome and other times vibrantly beautiful, but rarely mundane and always finely detailed and with sweeping cinematics.

Does anyone else get these? They are really entertaining and I can usually get them to start by themselves when I remember they exist.
I think you witnessed yourself being programmed. I wonder if our waking life isn't just the reinactment of our dreaming program.

My reason for asking as to whether you might've seen one or two long columns of written equations is that this is how an expanded mathematical proof is formally written-out. Not necessarily a calculus proof, but say for example the sum to 'n' terms of a geometric series, or the 'nth' term of an arithmetic series.

Characteristic differences from (eg) Hollywoodean/'The Big Bang Theory' blackboarded discrete formulaic statementing (tending just to be stand-alone physical sciences statements such as s=0.5gt^2 or things like Boltzmann's Constant/ Avagadro, all in SI notation) if you were seeing a written maths proof, would be:
  • A lack of numbers, but plenty of letters and operands
  • A consistancy of left equalling right, tending all the way down the board (hence the subjective 'columnated' visual effect, esp viewed from a distance)
  • A tendancy to see 'is approximately equal to', or other key operand connectors, especially from mid-way downwards:
    mathematics_1.jpg
  • The use of the words "therefore", or "substituting as" or "we can see that" (or abbreviated versons thereof, including at the start of internal paras/segments
  • The repeat of conclusions from the ends of internal segnments as tagged citations
  • Eventually, the classic use of the letters "QED" at the bottom line, bottom right
Variation from columns of text written-out proofs can tend to be for things like set notation, which I always seemed to remember went wider on the whiteboard, earlier (although, I'm maybe thinking of things like the inverse of a x-by-y matrix).

Anyway, there must be some more-current maths-headed people than me on this FTMB, what am I forgetting?

Last edited:
Since we don't have a dedicated thread about hypnogogic hallucinations, this article might fit best here.
The Trippy State Between Wakefulness and Sleep

There is a brief time, between waking and sleep, when reality begins to warp. Rigid conscious thought starts to dissolve into the gently lapping waves of early stage dreaming and the world becomes a little more hallucinatory, your thoughts a little more untethered. Known as the hypnagogic state, it has received only erratic attention from researchers over the years, but a recent series of studies have renewed interest in this twilight period, with the hope it can reveal something fundamental about consciousness itself.

Traditionally, the hypnagogic state has been studied as part of the sleep disorder narcolepsy, where the brain’s inability to separate waking life and dreaming can result in terrifying hallucinations. But it’s also part of the normal transition into sleep, beginning when our mind is first affected by drowsiness and ending when we finally lose consciousness. It is brief and often slips by unnoticed, but consistent careful attention to your inner experience after you bed down can reveal an unfolding mindscape of curious sounds, abstract scenery, and tumbling thoughts. This meandering cognitive state results from what Cambridge University researcher Valdas Noreika calls a “natural fragmentation of consciousness” and the idea that this can be tracked over the early minutes of sleep entry is the basis of recent hypnagogia research.

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/04/deciphering-hypnagogia/478941/

Good find, that's really got me thinking.

I wonder if there's a connection there between hypnogogic halucinations and migraine related auditory halucinations? I recall the content being quite similar, perhaps also due to the filters in our consciousness being momentarily suspended?

I think that what happens during REM sleep is the key. I remember a special on a study conducted by researchers about the purpose of sleep. As soon as they determined that a person's body can rest and recharge without sleep if you just rest and relax the body, they eventually came to the conclusion that a person sleeps only so they can dream and that by interrupting dreaming on test subjects by waking them up during REM sleep, they proved to themselves at least that if we don't dream we will die. The body actually starts to die without dreaming. I wish I could remember who did that study. I think I saw it on "Sixty Minutes" or some similar show.

I think that what happens during REM sleep is the key. I remember a special on a study conducted by researchers about the purpose of sleep. As soon as they determined that a person's body can rest and recharge without sleep if you just rest and relax the body, they eventually came to the conclusion that a person sleeps only so they can dream and that by interrupting dreaming on test subjects by waking them up during REM sleep, they proved to themselves at least that if we don't dream we will die. The body actually starts to die without dreaming. I wish I could remember who did that study. I think I saw it on "Sixty Minutes" or some similar show.

I didn't see Sixty Minutes, but over here I have seen documentaries on dreaming that said it was essential to good health, not only mental but physical as well. Even people who claim never to dream really do. I seem to remember test subjects deliberately woken before they started dreaming would start seeing things and generally become confused about what was real.

I think that our dreams are the key to almost everything. I think that to wake up in ones dreams or to know that you are dreaming while dreaming is to realize that our life might be a reinactment of our dreams that we don't remember, except in instances of deja Vu.

Back