• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Extremely Large Flying Fox / Bat Thing

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
This is doing the rounds on Facef*ck this morning

My first thought is that the animal is hanging from the washing line thing and the lads are stood quite a bit further back for forced perspective.

What do other people think?

I'd agree with the forced perspective opinion ... I wonder what species it is though?..

Nice picture.

Even nicer explanation. I enjoy a world where someone goes to this sort fo effort :D

Whatever it is, it's a glider - it doesn't have bat wings. More like a flying squirrel's "wings". But it's not one of those either.

Some Fruitbats have 5 ft wingspans.

The membrane layout seems to be that of a 'flying lemur' (colugo) from either the Philippines or Southeast Asia.

Forced perspective. The man with the rifle does not have his hand on the line the creature is being displayed on.

If you look at his feet you can see that the piece of bamboo laying along the ground is between his feet and the upright bamboo the creature is hanging from. You can also get an idea of how far off the ground the bottom of the upright bamboo is in the picture by comparing it with the lower legs of the people to the right. The man with the rifle is well behind the upright bamboo, and could not be in that pose and holding on to the line with the creature.

Perhaps the Buller Boys will devise a means of hunting flying foxes.

Definitely a glider, as mentioned above. Not familiar with the species. Clearly not a squirrel, and doesn't match any species of marsupial glider I know of.

Quick Google on Flying Lemur, and it definitely looks like that, the morphology, particularly of the "wings" match quite closely. From underneath would explain why the head isn't really visible, given the membrane seems to attach at the chin.

As everyone has said, it's definitely forced perspective, but it's really well done, considering.

gncxx said:
Flying fox, maybe?

No, a flying fox is a species of bat. Bat's wings only have skin on the actual 'arm', not attached to the legs, head or tail.

This is a colugo, sometimes called a flying lemur. Its not a lemur at all and it glides rather than flying. There are two species in Indonesia and the Philipines. They max at about 4.5 lbs. This is a trick of forced perspective as we have seen with fruitbats and camel spiders before.

lordmongrove said:
This is a colugo, sometimes called a flying lemur. Its not a lemur at all and it glides rather than flying. There are two species in Indonesia and the Philipines. They max at about 4.5 lbs. This is a trick of forced perspective as we have seen with fruitbats and camel spiders before.

Close enough to a flying fox for the Buller Boys, they'll use microlites.

Would it kill them to get a 2nd picture of the head?

Forced perspective, but he's still a big boy. Wouldn't want to find him hanging on the balcony.

Oddly, I'm reminded of the infamous De Loys' Ape photo. Wonder if it was the inspiration for this?

Back