• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Supernatural Experiences Around The Death Of A Loved One

My mum passed away last night, me and my brother were with her and she passed peacefully.

I know that this isn't significant but i think that my mum would have appreciated it.

Before my brother got there, I was holding her hand and looking around the room. My mum was a strong Catholic and was clutching her rosary beads even though not conscious. A shaft of sunlight broke through the clouds and cast a shadow of what was on the window sill onto the wall above her head. That was a stature of the Virgin Mary. I think that that would have given her comfort. It was the only time that the sun broke through the clouds all the time that I was there.

My condolences on your mum's passing, Spudrick68. Take care!

I'm sorry for your loss spudrick68.
My friend recently lost her mum suddenly and unexpectedly. Even though it hurt me to watch my mum decline at least I got to say goodbye and provide comfort for her at the end. I think in many ways it must be harder for my friend dealing with the acceptance of whats happened than those of us who could be with our mothers at the end.
Thank you for your kind words staticgirl. I know I did all I could to look after her the best I could and she will know that. I think maybe theres always a feeling of guilt when you lose a loved one, you go over things and wonder if you could have done anything more. It's a natural emotion I think.

It is true for me personally that things that normally seem insignificant can take on greater meaning.

I saw my mum face to face for the first time in a year this Saturday just gone. She has COPD and alzheimers. I was shocked at how much she has deteriorated in the last twelve months. She is weaker physically and her alzheimers has got worse, although she did still recognise me. When I was going i told her that I loved her and held her hand (with rubber gloves on). When she replied that she loved me too, I had to turn away so that she didn't see me cry. I went to reception and then went back to her to say goodbye, holding her hand. Even though I was stood beside her she said "our Ian's just been." Another moment to turn away. I haven't posted this for sympathy, just that I agree that things that seems insignificant during normal times take on much greater emotional impact on others.

When my dad was near death, he repeatedly called out his sisters name (she passed several years before him). One moment of slight relief came when he said (whilst not fully conscious) "Irene, stop showing me up." I have no idea what my auntie would have been doing to show him up.

Christ man that is awful and sad but thanks for sharing it. I liked the fact your Dad's sister would be a pain in the arse,

Its often a family member sees dead relatives when they are close to death.

With people whose time is close, they report seeing loves ones.

It's been happening forever and should be a major comfort.

My mum passed away last night, me and my brother were with her and she passed peacefully.

I know that this isn't significant but i think that my mum would have appreciated it.

Before my brother got there, I was holding her hand and looking around the room. My mum was a strong Catholic and was clutching her rosary beads even though not conscious. A shaft of sunlight broke through the clouds and cast a shadow of what was on the window sill onto the wall above her head. That was a stature of the Virgin Mary. I think that that would have given her comfort. It was the only time that the sun broke through the clouds all the time that I was there.

My condolences on your loss Spudrick, take care.

My condolences. It's never easy, even if it's expected. So sorry to hear of your loss.

I know that this isn't significant but i think that my mum would have appreciated it. ...
My condolences, Spudrick ...

You're right - it can be a lot harder to bear if you hadn't had the chance to say good-bye. I think you're also right in believing your mum would have appreciated the sunbeam as a sign of validation for a faithful life as she was exiting.

Thank you for your kind words.

I think it is a little easier to deal with when you have been with a loved one over the last days.

It is harder for those to deal with who have not been there. The first time it really hits them, I think, is when they see the coffin.
Sorry for your loss S. You're right that it's a bit easier to deal with when you have the chance to say goodbye. My father died suddenly at home which was huge shock for me. I had a handful of days to say goodbye to my mother and my wife , which made a bit of time to prepare myself. Difficult times ahead S but, whilst it's an easy thing to say, the passage of time heals a bit.

Condolences for your loss, Spudrick.

I'm not religious in anyway, but having loved ones by your side is the most comforting thing I can think of.

My wife's mother passed two years ago, after a long battle with lung cancer.

She was adamant she wanted to die in her own home and had palliative care for the last few months. All her children were around, and at the moment she passed, the nurse called us all to be there, which is what she wanted. The only thing Patricia liked more than a good argument was a party.

Though anticipated and planned for, her passing was still a blow to all of us. I often didn't see eye to eye with her, though we never fell out as such. She was a fairy tale level granny to our children, for which they always cherish her.

Anyway, not supernatural in the least but after she had passed, and we were all in bits, the nurse, who was relatively new to Patricia's care, inquired if she should summon a priest.

We all, to a one, burst out laughing, much to her shock, before my wife managed to reassure her that her nice gesture was not necessary. Patrica was a near evangelical atheist. But it always tickled me to think that whatever conscious was fading in those and the preceding moments, departed to the sound of her loved ones' laughter.

My Mum's Mum died.

She had Alzheimers and effectively choked herself to death with that denture-grip stuff? So there was a coroner's court...I think that's what it was called. Sadly, the hospital made a few intimations that my Mum was involved, to cover up the fact that they had not been observing and looking after her very well.

Anyway, at the very start of the court session Mum realised her watch had stopped at the exact time it had started, 10 I think. At the end of the hearing, she looked at her watch and the second hand started moving as she looked down at it.

My condolences to @Spudrick68 and Fizzy on your losses.

My brother messaged me a few weeks ago to tell me that his best friend, who has been suffering with cancer for some years, had just been admitted to a hospice. His time was limited, my brother had been to visit him and he was peaceful and resting.
About two days later I was out running when I suddenly got the most intense feeling that the friend had passed. I tried to tell myself it was too soon, that friend had only just gone into the hospice and it was just my imagination, because I knew he was so ill. I almost messaged my brother to ask if he had heard anything, but didn't want to upset him if the only message was that friend was 'resting comfortably.'

When I got home from my run, my brother had messaged me to tell me that his friend had passed at ten o clock that morning. I'd had my 'feeling' at 10.30. Maybe it took time for the message to drift from Devon to Yorkshire. Although I had never been close to my brother's friend, I had known him since he was five (nearly sixty years).

The house I live in is my grandmother's old house. My mum grew up here and when my mum's sister married her and her husband moved in with my grandmother and were left the house when she died. My aunt died twenty years ago and my uncle three years ago. They had no children and he left the house to me when he died. It had become a typical "old man's house". It was solid structurally but needed complete updating. New wiring, some flooring replaced, central heating installed, double glazing. It was a complete building site for 8 months while it was updated (I've added a couple of photos at the bottom so you can see what I mean).

About a year/ eighteen months after I moved in I was sitting on the sofa and my phone slipped off the arm onto the floor at the side. I reached down to pick it up and along with the phone there was a piece of paper. It was torn from a spiral bound notebook and, in what was unmistakably my uncle's handwriting was a series of numbers (first line something like 14 23 6, second line 8 8 44) for about five lines. I kept whatever was relevant that my uncle left but would have remembered something like that - and wouldn't have kept it in any case as it was meaningless. The question is, how did it get there? The old carpet had been replaced by wooden flooring so it clearly hadn't lain there the whole time, it was a new sofa so it hadn't fallen from that. And I frequently looked at that area as my dog had the habit of losing tennis balls under the sofa. I was pretty stunned and couldn't find any explanation. I left it on a table at the side of the sofa and a couple of week's later when I came down in the morning it was gone. I'm upset I didn't file it away somewhere but mystified as to where it came from and where it went. The house has a lovely "feel" to it, it's not spooky at all although a couple of times when I've gone to bed I've smelt cigarette smoke quite strongly at the top of the stairs and I don't smoke, although my uncle was a heavy smoker.

Bugs me that maybe he was trying to communicate something (yes, I tried the lottery with a combination of the numbers) so maybe it was a "Life, the universe and everything" moment.

House 1.jpg
House 2.jpg

One morning last week Techy had the sudden urge to email his sister to ask about her husband's health.
Techy said it felt as if Ed himself, who had been ill for a while, had been briefly there with him.

When he heard back later he learned that Ed had died at the same time as Techy had sensed him. He reckons Ed popped in to say goodbye.

In 2008, whilst on holiday, my dad came down with a nasty thing called GBS. It basically paralysed him and he was put in an induced coma. He survived, had many months in ICU but had severely limited movement afterwards e.g. he had to be fed, bathed, was in a wheelchair etc.

In Feb 2013, before my wedding in the June he passed away very suddenly. I was devastated as were my mum and sister and our family. A few nights later (whilst on the loo of all places!) I had a visit (dreamt??) that my dad came to me and flexed his hands, which he couldn't use at all, especially towards the end, and told me, "I'm alright now, see?"

Many years earlier I had been to see a psychic (pre 2008) and she mentioned a man associated with my mum, laughing and skipping down the aisle of a church, clicking his fingers saying "I'm fine now". At the time we puzzled over this. It didn't sound like anyone my mum knew who'd passed e.g. both my grandads.

Sadly I think this was my dad from the future telling me that he wouldn't physically be at my wedding. I'm convinced he was with us on the actual day, my mum walked me down the aisle although she was obviously very sad ❤

After he passed we would find white feathers in random places, like in plates on the top shelf of cupboards which weren't used often and in cutlery drawers.

I hope to see him again one day, I'm the youngest and wouldn't exist as he persuaded my mum to have one last child love you lots pappy chappy ❤ xxx

I should also add that a few days ago, I had the distinct feeling of a hand on my shoulder, giving a squeeze. I turned over, thinking it was my husband but he was turned the other way. This was around 3-5am in our King size bed. Weird.....

Back