• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Supernumerary (Extra) Kidneys

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
My best mate at high school dated a girl who had three kidneys. Unfortunately, I have no pictures to share (of him, her or her kidneys).

Last edited by a moderator:
A supernumerary kidney is an additional kidney to the number usually present in an organism. This often develops as the result of splitting of the nephrogenic blastema, or from separate metanephric blastemas into which partially or completely reduplicated ureteral stalks enter to form separate capsulated kidneys; in some cases the separation of the reduplicated organ is incomplete (fused supernumerary kidney).

Less than a hundred cases are known of one or two supernumerary kidneys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernumerary_kidney

Here's a newly discovered example ...
Man with back pain finds out he has 3 kidneys

When a Brazilian man went to the doctor complaining of low-back pain, his doctors got a surprise: They discovered that the man had not two, but three kidneys — a very rare condition.

To figure out the cause of the 38-year-old man's severe pain, doctors at the Hospital do Rim in São Paulo, Brazil, performed a CT scan to evaluate the area ...

The scan showed the man had a herniated or "slipped" disk, a relatively common condition in which part of a cushion-like disk between the spinal vertebrae moves out of place.

But it wasn't just the herniated disk that caught the doctors' attention. They couldn't help but notice that the man had an unusual anatomical feature. Instead of the usual two kidneys seen in a typical person, the man had three: a normal-looking kidney on his left side and two fused kidneys located near the pelvis, the report said.

The man didn't have any symptoms of a kidney problem, and the organs appeared to be working normally.

Usually, each kidney is connected to the bladder through a single duct called a ureter. In the man's case, one of the pelvis kidneys was directly connected to the bladder via a ureter. However, the ureter of the other pelvis kidney joined the ureter of the normal, left-side kidney before it entered the bladder.

Having three kidneys is rare, with fewer than 100 cases reported in the medical literature, according to a 2013 report of a similar case published in The Internet Journal of Radiology. The condition is thought to arise during embryonic development, when a structure that typically forms a single kidney splits in two. ...

FULL STORY (With X-Ray Photo): https://www.livescience.com/man-three-kidneys-rare-condition.html

I've read that this is more common than you'd think. Extra kidneys don't generally give any trouble and people only find out about them by accident.

You'd think you could donate a 'spare' one!

An extra one always comes in handy!

I'm pretty sure my colleague's fiancee has a third kidney. The two of them were quick to shut down for Covid-19 because she has various medical problems which may or may not be related to said kidney.

Back