Superstitions & ULs Regarding Used / Second-Hand Clothing

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Techy and I recently bought jackets from a charity shop after being caught in heavy rain. One was a very nice, BNWT fleece. I can't understand how it would end up there, unworn!
Two of my lot did stints working in a local Charity shop in gap years before going to uni. And I can report that they got a LOT of new clothes in. People order them online, and then for one reason or another decide they don't want it. It doesn't fit, or isn't the colour they thought it would be, or the style is wrong...

and they can't be bothered to send it back. They literally cannot be bothered to pack it all back up and take it to the Post Office, or ask for a returns label. So they hand unworn and often quite expensive clothing to the charity shop.

I benefitted enormously in a sartorial way from their jobs.

Fanari_Lloyd

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I spent most of my ‘office’ working life in my late 20’s and 30’s wearing charity shop clothes and found some stunners, designer stuff and super quality. As my wages were never wonderful, I was glad to be able to look smart at least.

My best friend’s dad died last year and there was this thing he had when anyone he knew died, he would (with their prior permission) have all their clothes. Now that my friend’s mum is in a care home, my friend is tasked with clearing the house and sending all her dad’s inherited clothes to charity. She said there are cupboards full. Just so much. And her mum (as I remember from when we were kids together) never threw any clothes away and was a great rummager through village jumble sales. It was the way it was back then if you didn’t have much money. I remember along the upstairs corridor of her house there was a long shelf that ran the whole length and it was full of clothes to the top. I think if there was any superstition there it was that you didn’t throw clothes away at all if you could use them for anything.

BlackPeter

Ancient Badger
Reaction score
Used to buy all my shirts from local charity shops - but over the years the supply of decent/new ones seems to have dried up (round here anyway). Strangest charity shop I ever went to was in Alderely Edge - suits on sale for £500 second-hand!
On the subject of superstitions I am descended from fairground folk (the Drakeleys) and my grandmother said that their tradition was to burn a dead persons clothes.

Fanari_Lloyd

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
There‘s a second hand shop in Marlborough where the clothes are eye-wateringly expensive, @BlackPeter. The normal ones like Oxfam, Heart Foundation etc are wonderful but normal sort of prices.

Because of working from home for years I don’t possess many formal clothes and picked up the outfit for my mum’s funeral in Feb from Ebay. Black velvet waisted jacket and heavy black velvet skirt. About £18 for both.
She would have approved, she got me into buying second hand clothes.

BlackPeter

Ancient Badger
Reaction score
There‘s a second hand shop in Marlborough where the clothes are eye-wateringly expensive, @BlackPeter. The normal ones like Oxfam, Heart Foundation etc are wonderful but normal sort of prices.

Because of working from home for years I don’t possess many formal clothes and picked up the outfit for my mum’s funeral in Feb from Ebay. Black velvet waisted jacket and heavy black velvet skirt. About £18 for both.
Having spent most of my life working outdoors with children like you I have never had many formal clothes and when on one occasion had to go to a private dinner at Claridges (to do with my partner not me!) I had to hastily buy a dinner suit from a charity shop so I didn't show her up!!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Having spent most of my life working outdoors with children like you I have never had many formal clothes and when on one occasion had to go to a private dinner at Claridges (to do with my partner not me!) I had to hastily buy a dinner suit from a charity shop so I didn't show her up!!
When my son went up to Oxford I picked hin up a nice dinner jacket with tails, satin lapels etc at a car boot sale from a former RAF pilot.

One had to have the bloody thing for the Mess, Old Bean!

It fitted perfectly and he wore it often, including at his College's Ball. On the Big Wheel.

Dunno how much they cost new but that one was less than a tenner!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
picked up the outfit for my mum’s funeral in Feb from Ebay. Black velvet waisted jacket and heavy black velvet skirt. About £18 for both.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :oldm: