• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Supervolcanoes / Supervolcanos

given humanities ability to do a "i wonder what happens if" move i think leaving stuff we don't understand alone is probably a good idea, after all we could end up with the "well that wasn't meant to happen" being the last words said before the super-eruption

River_Styx said:
Has anyone else noticed how we're overdue on receiving one of these apocalae?

(did I just invent a new word? what is the plural of apocalypse?)

But no, we're overdue a mega-tsunami, we're overdue a super-eruption, we're overdue an asteroid impact, we're overdue "The Big One" and we're even overdue the hyped up but not as scary as it first sounded pole reversal.
Can't the end at least arrive on time?
This is going to be one of those waiting for one then three come along all at once situations isn't it?

Hmm, one out of three so far... Welcome to "disaster-bingo".

I'm quite looking forward to it. The ensuing post-eruption winter would certainly improve Aviemore's prospects as a year round skiing and wintersports resort.

And, it could happen anytime, between now and the next 100,000 years. :roll:

In the second part of the BBC2 documentary which aired last night, did anyone see the video(?) footage shot by someone who was caught under the ash-cloud of the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption? Truly eerie...

Whistling Jack said:
In the second part of the BBC2 documentary which aired last night, did anyone see the video(?) footage shot by someone who was caught under the ash-cloud of the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption? Truly eerie...

Terrifying. I can't grap the horror of not knowing if you'll make it to the little patch of light.

A few years ago, National Geographic magazine published an article containing photos taken by a guy who was in the path of the main pyroclastic flow from Mount St. Helens. He knew he wouldn't live but still took some photos of the advancing flow front. At the last minute he put his camera on the ground and lay on top of it to protect it...

markrkingston said:
A few years ago, National Geographic magazine published an article containing photos taken by a guy who was in the path of the main pyroclastic flow from Mount St. Helens. He knew he wouldn't live but still took some photos of the advancing flow front. At the last minute he put his camera on the ground and lay on top of it to protect it...

Eeeeeeeeeeeuch

We've all got to die some time but being incinerated in a pyroclastic flow does not make it into my top ten list of ways to go. That sort of thing is terrifying and yet it makes me a little bit proud of humanity to know that one of us faced oncoming death by taking photos of it.

Cujo

Especially seeing what pyroclastic flow can DO to people, :shock: :cry: Cooked to death does not appeal to me either. Supposing it does blow, the programe estimated tens of thousands of deaths from it, would there be time to evactuate? ( I never watched the whole programme so that may have been answered )

River_Styx said:
Has anyone else noticed how we're overdue on receiving one of these apocalae?

(did I just invent a new word? what is the plural of apocalypse?)

But no, we're overdue a mega-tsunami, we're overdue a super-eruption, we're overdue an asteroid impact, we're overdue "The Big One" and we're even overdue the hyped up but not as scary as it first sounded pole reversal.
Can't the end at least arrive on time?
This is going to be one of those waiting for one then three come along all at once situations isn't it?

Can I just be a spoilsport here and point out that River_Styx, back in 2003, was pointing out every type of disaster that was "overdue" and casting aspersions on their likelihood. If he had been in Aceh last Boxing Day he would have got a close-up look at at least one mega-disaster on his list - the mega-tsunami! :oops:

Maybe it's just a matter of waiting long enough ... eventually everything that can happen, will happen! :shock:

Now, who's for a nice sightseeing trip to Yellowstone? :)

The question was raised if we could reduce the pressure.

I think that would be an almost impossible task - it's like a 1000xhiroshimas going off all at once - for days/weeks.

Best just to let it happen, as it's 'natural'.

Humankind will survive as it has done before.

With all these events that they claim are cyclical and have a 600 000 year cycle or what ever the claim is, isn't it just possible that they aren't cyclical, or that the cycle was running fast at that point? after all if something happens everyday like sunrise, if that is delayed by hours we have enough data to know that it has been delayed, on the other hand on a long cycle there isn't enough cycles to know if they are speeding up slowing down or petering out.

lopaka said:
Discovery Channel in the US with be airing this in the next few weeks, I think. They a volcano show last night (Tambora, the Cascades and Hawai'i) and they were running teasers for a Supervolcano special.

Growing up in Hawai'i, yeah, volcanoes are astonishing.

It wasn't posted at the time but here is their page:

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/supervolcano/

Some nice Flash work.

ok therell be a small/minor eruption of the yellowstone caldera by the end of the year

Sebastianp said:
Can I just be a spoilsport here and point out that River_Styx, back in 2003, was pointing out every type of disaster that was "overdue" and casting aspersions on their likelihood. If he had been in Aceh last Boxing Day he would have got a close-up look at at least one mega-disaster on his list - the mega-tsunami! :oops:

Nah! I would hardly call that a Mega Disaster. 200,000 humans dead out of 6.5 billion is a (excuse the pun) drop in the ocean. The speed we reproduce we would have made the human population back up pre disaster level within a couple of days.

An event that kills less than a couple of million cant be classed as anything other than a run of the mill disaster IMO. Bring on the caldera or the super flu or even the 3rd world war. That'll be worthy of the mega-title.

Chriswsm said:
Sebastianp said:

Nah! I would hardly call that a Mega Disaster. 200,000 humans dead out of 6.5 billion is a (excuse the pun) drop in the ocean. The speed we reproduce we would have made the human population back up pre disaster level within a couple of days.

An event that kills less than a couple of million cant be classed as anything other than a run of the mill disaster IMO. Bring on the caldera or the super flu or even the 3rd world war. That'll be worthy of the mega-title.

I predict mass starvation or the super flu evolving from bird flu.

I think the most ironic disaster would be mass drought (if it happens).

markrkingston said:

This is all I've been able to find regarding your story - is it the same person?

Reid Turner Blackburn, 27, of Vancouver. A photographer for the Vancouver Columbian newspaper, he was donating his time to National Geographic and the U.S. Geological Survey. He was found in his car, dead of asphyxiation by volcanic ash, parked on a ridge above Coldwater Creek, about eight miles north/northwest of Mount St. Helens. He apparently continued to shoot film during the eruption. His camera was found intact, but the film had been ruined in the blast.

tdn.com/helens

Whistling Jack said:
Reid Turner Blackburn, 27, of Vancouver. A photographer for the Vancouver Columbian newspaper, he was donating his time to National Geographic and the U.S. Geological Survey. He was found in his car, dead of asphyxiation by volcanic ash, parked on a ridge above Coldwater Creek, about eight miles north/northwest of Mount St. Helens. He apparently continued to shoot film during the eruption. His camera was found intact, but the film had been ruined in the blast.

tdn.com/helens

When I visited Mt St Hellens in the early 90s there was a display of photographs of the eruption at the point were they were taken on one of the roads into the National Park. The photographer had taken as many as he could before jumping into his truck and driving like mad to escape the wall of ash.
I have relatives who have lived in Washington State since the 60s. They were having breafast at the time of the eruption and thought that the noise was their chimney collapsing through the roof!

Supervolcano Raises Yellowstone, Fuels Geysers, Study Says

Scott Norris
for National Geographic News
March 1, 2006

Molten rock flowing beneath Yellowstone has been causing the national park to rise and fall, scientists say.

Periodic uplifting and settling has occurred here over the last 15,000 years.

A new model helps explain the latest episode of rapid surface rise and increased geyser activity—from 1997 to 2003—in the volcanically active region in the western United States.

Much of Yellowstone National Park lies in the crater of a massive volcano, formed in a landscape-altering eruption 640,000 years ago. The crater, or caldera, measures some 28 miles wide by 47 miles long (45 by 75 kilometers).

Subsequent lava flows—most recently 70,000 years ago—filled in much of the blasted-out crater, disguising the area's volcanic identity (related site: volcano photos, facts, and virtual eruptions).

Since the 1970s scientists have known that the Yellowstone volcano remains highly active. (See "Yellowstone Volcano: Is 'the Beast' Building to a Violent Tantrum?" [2001].)

But the precise relationship between volcanic activity deep underground and Yellowstone's well-known network of geysers and other geothermal features has long been a puzzle for geologists.

Now a study by scientists with the U. S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory attributes changes in both surface terrain and geyser behavior to flows of magma, or molten rock, 9 miles (15 kilometers) below the Earth's surface.

"We're not sure yet if this is a normal episode or not," said Charles Wicks, a geologist at the USGS Western Region headquarters in Menlo Park, California.

Wrinkles and Cracks

Using satellite-based radar, Wicks and his colleagues were able to map small changes in surface elevation continuously across a wide area.

The new, detailed view of the Yellowstone crater shows a surface in constant motion, rising and falling in different locations and over fairly short intervals of time. From earlier surveys, scientists know that the caldera floor raised about 7 inches (18 centimeters) from 1976 to 1984 and then settled back about 5.5 inches (14 centimeters) from 1985 to 1995.

Researchers later noted a vertical rise in the crater floor, beginning in 1995. The floor largely began sinking again by 1998.

The new report, to be published in tomorrow's edition of the journal Nature, focuses on an isolated area along the north rim of the crater that continued to rise while the crater floor was sinking.

This localized uplift raised the ground level about 5 inches (13 centimeters) from 1997 to 2003.

"This was something new," Wicks said. "We had never seen uplift under the caldera rim before."

At the same time thermal activity in and around the Norris Geyser Basin, near the uplifting-rim area, began moving into high gear.

Steamboat Geyser, the world's largest, broke a nine-year silence with a series of eruptions from 2000 to 2003.

Park officials had to close some hiking trails due to increasing ground temperatures, and in 2003 a line of new steam vents appeared, roaring like jet engines.

Wicks and his colleagues believe that a pulse of volcanic magma moving horizontally underground caused the complex rippling of the land surface and the unusual hydrothermal displays.

A New Model

The researchers' theory is based on a mathematical model that helps explain the pattern of lifting revealed by the radar imaging.

The land's rise and fall over time, they say, can be attributed to variation in what may be a continuous flow of molten basalt. Basalt is cooled, hardened magma.

Wicks believes that in the 1997-to-2003 episode, an unusually large pulse of magma rose from deep underground and spread outward just beneath the caldera surface.

"As it spreads it looks for a way out," Wicks said. "A system of faults under the north rim provides a way for the magma to exit the caldera."

Outward movement of the magma pulse would cause the caldera floor to rise and then fall back, exactly as observed.

The continuing uplift of the caldera rim can be explained by the restricted size of the magma's exit route.

Wicks thinks a sort of underground bottleneck caused part of the north rim to continue rising. Forced through a narrowing passage, he says, the magma exerted a pressure that caused the rim to rise.

Uplift in this relatively confined area may have opened new underground passages for steam and superheated water, causing the unusual geyser activity.

"It's like bending a slab of clay. You see cracks form on the upper surface," Wicks said.

Park geologist Henry Heasler said that, while the new study is compelling, further tests of the model are needed.

"What they have nailed is that an intrusion from the caldera up to the Norris area matches the ground deformation pattern," Heasler said. "It's a fascinating paper, but there are still competing hypotheses."

For example, the surface changes may have been driven by flows of hot water and gas rather than magma.

Heasler said one way to test this would be by taking precise temperature measurements at the land surface, which he and others plan to carry out.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... stone.html

Is the world's largest super-volcano set to erupt for the first time in 600,000 years, wiping out two-thirds of the U.S.?
By Daniel Bates
Last updated at 7:38 AM on 25th January 2011

The super-volcano beneath Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming has been rising at a record rate since 2004

It would explode with a force a thousand times more powerful than the Mount St Helens eruption in 1980.
Spewing lava far into the sky, a cloud of plant-killing ash would fan out and dump a layer 10ft deep up to 1,000 miles away.
Two-thirds of the U.S. could become uninhabitable as toxic air sweeps through it, grounding thousands of flights and forcing millions to leave their homes.

This is the nightmare that scientists are predicting could happen if the world’s largest super-volcano erupts for the first time in 600,000 years, as it could do in the near future.

Yellowstone National Park’s caldera has erupted three times in the last 2.1million years and researchers monitoring it say we could be in for another eruption.
They said that the super-volcano underneath the Wyoming park has been rising at a record rate since 2004 - its floor has gone up three inches per year for the last three years alone, the fastest rate since records began in 1923.

But hampered by a lack of data they have stopped short of an all-out warning and they are unable to put a date on when the next disaster might take place.

When the eruption finally happens it will dwarf the effect of Iceland’s Eyjafjallajökull volcano, which erupted in April last year, causing travel chaos around the world.

The University of Utah's Bob Smith, an expert in Yellowstone's volcanism told National Geographic: ‘It's an extraordinary uplift, because it covers such a large area and the rates are so high.
‘At the beginning we were concerned it could be leading up to an eruption.’
But he added: ‘Once we saw the magma was at a depth of ten kilometres, we weren't so concerned.
‘If it had been at depths of two or three kilometre we'd have been a lot more concerned.’

Robert B. Smith, professor of geophysics at the University of Utah, who has led a recent study into the volcano, added: ‘Our best evidence is that the crustal magma chamber is filling with molten rock.
‘But we have no idea how long this process goes on before there either is an eruption or the inflow of molten rock stops and the caldera deflates again’.

The Yellowstone Caldera is one of nature’s most awesome creations and sits atop North America’s largest volcanic field.
Its name means ‘cooking pot’ or ‘cauldron’ and it is formed when land collapses following a volcanic explosion.

In Yellowstone, some 400 miles beneath the Earth’s surface is a magma ‘hotspot’ which rises to 30 miles underground before spreading out over an area of 300 miles across.
Atop this, but still beneath the surface, sits the slumbering volcano.
Scientists monitoring it believe that a swelling magma reservoir six miles underground may be causing the recent uplifts.

They have also been keeping an eye on a ‘pancake-shaped blob’ of molten rock he size of Los Angeles which was pressed into the volcano some time ago.
But due the extreme conditions it has been hard to work out what exactly is going on down below, leading researchers unable to say with certainty what will happen - or when.

Since the most recent blast 640,000 years ago there have been around 30 smaller eruptions, the most recent of which was 70,000 years ago.
They filled the caldera with ash and lava and made the flat landscape that draws thousands of tourists to Yellowstone National Park every year.

‘Clearly some deep source of magma feeds Yellowstone, and since Yellowstone has erupted in the recent geological past, we know that there is magma at shallower depths too,’ said Dan Dzurisin, a Yellowstone expert with the U.S. Geological Survey at Cascades Volcano Observatory in Washington State.
‘There has to be magma in the crust, or we wouldn't have all the hydrothermal activity that we have.
‘There is so much heat coming out of Yellowstone right now that if it wasn't being reheated by magma, the whole system would have gone stone cold since the time of the last eruption 70,000 years ago.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z1C2fkszw9

Don't panic, don't panic!

That's why they're building loads of empty cities in China - to house the American refugees......

But hampered by a lack of data they have stopped short of an all-out warning and they are unable to put a date on when the next disaster might take place.

Could be any minute! :shock:

That's 'any minute' in geological terms, of course. Or to you and me, any time within the next several thousand years. ;)

It would be interesting to have a bet on whether Yellowstone goes up before Betelgeuse goes supernova! 8)

But you might have to live a very long time to collect any winnings... :(

rynner2 said:
But you might have to live a very long time to collect any winnings... :(

Or collect your winnings and not live very long.....

Icelandic volcano 'set to erupt'
Scientists in Iceland are warning that another volcano looks set to erupt and threatening to spew-out a pall of dust that would dwarf last year's event.
6:38PM GMT 08 Feb 2011

Geologists detected the high risk of a new eruption after evaluating an increased swarm of earthquakes around the island's second largest volcano.
Pall Einarsson, a professor of geophysics at the University of Iceland, says the area around Bárdarbunga is showing signs of increased activity, which provides "good reason to worry".

He told the country's national TV station that a low number of seismometer measuring devices in the area is making it more difficult to determine the scale and likely outcome of the current shifts.
But he said there was "every reason to worry" as the sustained earthquake tremors to the north east of the remote volcano range are the strongest recorded in recent times and there was "no doubt" the lava was rising.

The geologist complained that the lack of coverage from measuring devices means he cannot accurately detect the depth and exact location of the increased number of localised earth movements.
"This is the most active area of the country if we look at the whole country together," he told the Icelandic TV News. "There is no doubt that lava there is slowly growing, and the seismicity of the last few days is a sign of it.
"We need better measurements because it is difficult to determine the depth of earthquakes because it is in the middle of the country and much of the area is covered with glaciers."

Respected volcano watcher Jón Frímann, said on his volcano watch blog: "After the Eyjafjallajökull volcano eruption in the year 2010 it seems that geologists in Iceland take earthquake swarms more seriously then they did before."

He explained the Icelandic Met Office had on Sunday warned of the increased risk of a eruption in north-west side of Vatnajökull glacier due to the high earthquake activity in the area, and added: "It is clear that only time is going to tell us if there is going to be a eruption in this area soon or not."

The last recorded eruption of Bárdarbunga was in 1910, although volcanologists believe its last major eruption occurred in 1477 when it produced a large ash and pumice fallout. It also produced the largest known lava flow during the past 10,000 years on earth.
It is the second largest volcano on Iceland and is directly above the mantle plume of molten rock.

By comparison, Bárdarbunga dwarves the Eyjafjallajökull volcano, which shutdown most of Europe's airspace last year after its ash cloud drifted across the continent's skies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... erupt.html

Bárdarbunga is a so called monster/super volcano with a crater 70 km2 large.

Which is bigger? Bárdarbunga or Yellowstone?

There's only one way to settle this! :D

By comparison, Bárdarbunga dwarves the Eyjafjallajökull volcano,
To be pedantic, it dwarfs the Eyjafjallajökull volcano. Dwarves is a Tolkien word which shouldn't really be used in this context. Naughty Telegraph reporter.

rynner2 said:
Which is bigger? Bárdarbunga or Yellowstone?

There's only one way to settle this! :D

"FIIIIIGHT...."!

Back