• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Surrey Tree Vandalism

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
A second article from the Guardian about someone criminally felling trees.

In the Surrey town of Weybridge in the borough of Elmbridge, there is anger, suspicion and no little nervousness. A mystery tree-feller, who has in recent weeks taken a chainsaw to trees in the area under cover of darkness, has returned to launch another destructive spree.

Full article here

There's a double mystery (or should that be miss-tree) in that no one hears it happening, and what on earth is the motive?

My guess is someone with a grudge against the community/local council.

If I heard a chainsaw in the night I would be suspicious.

(Maybe they are not using a chainsaw??)

Here’s one in use in the wild (FF to about 3 minutes in):

It’s hardly unnoticeable.

maximus otter
It's a lot quieter than a standard chainsaw.
However, it's still loud enough to hear it for some distance.
Even a handsaw would make a loud noise in dead of night.

Without knowing the exact locations involved it's not really possible to make a call, but it's worth pointing out that there are some busy roads around there, and also a railway line. Also, I'm pretty sure Weybridge suffers from noise pollution related to Heathrow airport.

Judging by the pictures I can find online the targeted trees appear to be very young, and I don't doubt the estimated 30 seconds cutting time. I can see how a battery operated chainsaw tactically masked by unrelated environmental sound might fit the reported circumstances.

I've used the Milwaukee battery operated chainsaw on site. If anything it's less throaty than the Makita in the above video, and I suspect the higher frequency - although it would be very noticeable in a very quiet environment - is more prone to the sound masking effects of surrounding lower frequency environmental noise than a deeper sound machine might be.

To be honest, I think I find the lack of CCTV evidence more mysterious than the reported lack of noise.

Last edited:
Seems like they've got a suspect.

Some of the trees cut down/damaged were memorial trees, which is very sad but the following section from the article made me smile:

“Surrey police received a fantastic response from residents who contacted us with information, allowing investigating officers to identify a vehicle they believed to be connected. Last night, this vehicle was stopped. Searches carried out in the suspect’s car and home address found several chainsaws and wood chippings.

Aircraft passing low overhead are a great cover for loud noises. I myself have masked several unfortunate wind-breaking occasions by the fortunate arrival of low-flying jets.

I wonder if the tree-feller is using the 'ABC Murders' method? Fell loads of trees, fortunately felling those trees that he had complained were blocking his view at some point, but hiding his intent within the mass felling?

And I apologise for the multiple fortunes during that post. I've got a word stuck.

Back