• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Survive Style 5+

gerardwilkie

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Yesterday I saw the most amazing film I have seen in a long time , Survive Style 5+ . Think Pulp Fiction , but set in Tokyo . And with Vinnie Jones.

It has a pretty impressive cast - Asanao Tadanaobu (Ichi The Killer) , Japanese film veteran Sonny Chiba (Kill Bill) and the afore mentioned Vinnie Jones doing what he does best - playing a hardman.

There are five distinct stories - the main ones being a man who keeps trying to murder his wife , except that each time after he buries her , when he returns home she is waiting there for him and then a spot of kung fu normally follows . There is a businessman who gets hypnotised into being a chicken , but the hypnotist gets murdered on stage leaving the poor sod to remain a chicken for the rest of his days .

I know all that may sound utter crap , but bear with me and give it a go. Already the critics have been comparing director Gen Sakaguchi to Tarantino , and I feel that given this film that comparison is justified - and it would be preferable for you all to see the Japanese version before the Americans inevtibaly do a naff remake.

Don't worry about Vinnie, he's mostly there to bark, "What is your purpose in life?" to all and sundry. Sonny Chiba is hardly in it, though. I liked the mad adverts in it (possibly because the writer-director team have previously created genuine adverts), and it looks great, full of bright primary colours. I'd recommend it too.

And I've watched it and it looks to be a contender for best film I've watched all year. Hell even Vinnie Jones doesn't get on my tits ;)

Mighty_Emperor said:
And I've watched it and it looks to be a contender for best film I've watched all year. Hell even Vinnie Jones doesn't get on my tits ;)

Totally agree- glad you enjoyed it.

gerardwilkie said:
Mighty_Emperor said:

Totally agree- glad you enjoyed it.

Glad you recommended it :yeay:

Everyone should watch it!!

Back