• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Suspicious Lack Of Injuries

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Hi, can anyone think of a group of reports which regularly describe an attack from something, anything really, that never leaves the victims with any form of injuries?

Hi, can anyone think of a group of reports which regularly describe an attack from something, anything really, that never leaves the victims with any form of injuries?

You're going to have to be more specific in describing what kind of thing you're thinking of, I suspect.

You're going to have to be more specific in describing what kind of thing you're thinking of, I suspect.
Sorry, I suppose an example would be if someone were to say that a particular species, fictitious or otherwise, was highly aggressive and would attack you on sight, then quoted a number of instances where they claimed this was borne out. On examination though there were no reports of injuries. Or phenomena, say poltergeists as another example. Anything where the reported injuries don't match the hype.

There are also the alien abductions, where the claimed injuries look little different to the kind of injuries you might get from a paper cut or bumping your arm on the edge of a table.

There are also the alien abductions, where the claimed injuries look little different to the kind of injuries you might get from a paper cut or bumping your arm on the edge of a table.
True. Thank you.

How about attacks by swans... we all hear about the old yarn about them breaking someone's arm or leg, but I've never actually heard of anyone getting anything more than a toothless nip, and suspect that swans are mostly harmless.

Oldrover:

Are you specifically limiting the scope to actions deliberately performed as "attacks" against (to the detriment of ... ) someone?

If not, there's also the possible example of effects that aren't initially recognized as injuries until later ramifications surface or are recognized as risks. Specific examples would be things like soldiers exposed to radiation during A-bomb tests or workers exposed to carcinogens that weren't known to be carcinogens at the time.

How about attacks by swans... we all hear about the old yarn about them breaking someone's arm or leg, but I've never actually heard of anyone getting anything more than a toothless nip, and suspect that swans are mostly harmless.
That's a very apt one, thanks. Trouble is, I do know someone who did get their wrist broken by a swan. as unlikely as it is he was plagued by ridiculously bad luck for about two or three years, beaten up, fell on to a bus, fell down an escalator, wondered into a tube station after it had been closed by the bomb squad etc.

Oldrover:

Are you specifically limiting the scope to actions deliberately performed as "attacks" against (to the detriment of ... ) someone?

If not, there's also the possible example of effects that aren't initially recognized as injuries until later ramifications surface or are recognized as risks. Specific examples would be things like soldiers exposed to radiation during A-bomb tests or workers exposed to carcinogens that weren't known to be carcinogens at the time.

I am, I'm trying to draw a comparison between reports which I've found, which I think are pure folklore, and other folkloric idea such as, minus the guy I know, the swan attack example above.

Another one occurred to me, all those legends of enormous pikes lurking in local village ponds, terrifying the local children... Never heard of any child being eaten by one though (Oldrover - you're about to tell me your friend, in agony from a swan breaking his wrist, fell in the local pond and was, indeed, attacked by a pike...)

Another one occurred to me, all those legends of enormous pikes lurking in local village ponds, terrifying the local children... Never heard of any child being eaten by one though (Oldrover - you're about to tell me your friend, in agony from a swan breaking his wrist, fell in the local pond and was, indeed, attacked by a pike...)
No, he was beaten up by Cardiff City fans. Then he he fell into a pond with a huge pike in it.

Back