• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Swallowed Up By The Ground: Sinkholes!

The Sheringham sink hole in the middle of the high street is 7 metres deep now .. T Shirts are being sold, adult sized ones have sold out until the next delivery expected on Thursday otherwise I would have bought one today ..

asinkholesheringham.jpg

asinkhole1.jpg

asinkhole2.jpg

asinkhole3.jpg

Last edited:
A quality item.
Thanks hunk. The T Shirts not too bad either is it? ..

(.. and I like that one picture above where we've got a random skateboarder in front of the sinkhole, hovering in a pose that says "It's not that big yet and I could easily sHred it if no police are watching)

Last edited:
Could it be something else other than the water company, anything? cause while there is doubt insurance probably wont pay anyone a dime

Could it be something else other than the water company, anything? cause while there is doubt insurance probably wont pay anyone a dime
Sounds like a 'where there's a claim, there's a blame' thing to me as well Shady .. not sure if there's any evidence yet that Anglia Water are to blame, only that they also had pipes in that location and maybe we've got some chancers trying it on in court against them to try and scrape some money in .. I'll watch this space .. now it's been filled in.

Yes, it is because of these nefarious people that it is getting more and more difficult, it was difficult before, nigh on impossible now
I was thinking of something to do with the sea water, are there narrow caves under there, i am presuming you are pretty close to the sea

"In terms of finding out what the cause was, and whether it was the hole that caused the damage underneath, or vice versa, it may be something that we will never know."

This is almost always the case. What came first, the unstable support or the leak? Looking at old maps helps. If there was a sinkhole there before, the engineers should have taken better precautions in installing the pipe. But often, you just can't tell. Even a little leak can cause a big problem over time and then the sagging from poor soil causes a bigger leak.

Lots of people will say "sinkholes are natural" therefore there is no one to blame. But any time you mess with the soil layers or change where water went (or put it where it wasn't), you have unbalanced the system and it will attempt to readjust, often with surface consequences.

A MASSIVE sinkhole which forced the closure of a Cork road is linked to the collapse of a long-abandoned mine shaft.

Cork Co Council urged the public to stay away from the sinkhole which developed on the L8912 road south of Allihies village on the Beara Peninsula in west Cork. Allihies is famous for its mining industry in the 19th Century. The village has a special mining museum which details the history of copper mining in the area which began in 1812.

The council said it was assessing the situation but appealed for people to stay away from the area involved over safety concerns. "We urge all members of the public not to go near to the sinkhole and to not go beyond the safety barriers," a spokesperson said. "The road has been closed to the public and newspaper advertisements notifying the public about this emergency closure will be published.It appears that the sinkhole is linked to the collapse of a mine shaft in Cahermeeleboe, Allihies." ...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...ole-forces-closure-of-cork-road-38619388.html

Shit, i'm deaf, thanks Fridesy LOL

Yea, old mine shafts are the cause of quite a few holes and little quakes

Allihies is twinned with Cromer. Now the mutants will emerge from the mine shaft ...

Somewhere in Kuwait...
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Here's a new way to ruin your rush hour commute ...

bus-sinkhole.jpg

Sinkhole opens, swallows part of city bus during rush hour

The front of a city bus is up in the air after a sinkhole opened under it during rush hour in downtown Pittsburgh.

The Port Authority of Allegheny County says only the driver and one passenger were aboard the bus when it plunged into the hole. The passenger was taken to a hospital for a minor injury Monday, and the driver was not injured.

The agency tweeted that the bus was at a red light when the street gave way and the rear half plunged into the hole.

A photo shows the front of the bus pitched into the air and the front wheels of a car that was behind it dangling over the sinkhole’s edge. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/0084afb8debd499fa4a25656b783c882

Back