• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Swallowed Up By The Ground: Sinkholes!

Cromer has a brand new (presumed) sink hole being born on Station Road .. pic taken 3 hours ago ..

acromersinkhole001.jpg

Couple of weeks ago. The road is still closed off to vehicles but cyclists and pedestrians are free to browse.
You should have a few T Shirts made! .. Sheringham did and I bought one, all the larger sizes sold out so I had to buy a slightly too small one .. you could even nick this design .. I reckon you'd sell quite a few, Sheringham sold out and had to make a second batch .. here's the kid's size for £6.50

asinkhole1.jpg

Truly the stuff of nightmares.

In one of the surest signs of an impending apocalypse we have yet seen, a New York City man fell about 15 feet into a pit of rats when a sidewalk sinkhole opened under his feet.

The ground simply split and swallowed its victim, 33-year-old Leonard Shoulders, as he waited for a bus on Saturday afternoon. Shoulders survived, albeit with a few broken bones, but his family says he is “deeply traumatized.” Which, yes.

The hellmouth reportedly wrenched open on Third Avenue near 183rd Street in the Bronx. One minute, Shoulders was just standing there, his mother — Cindy White — told NBC 4 New York; the next, “it was like a suction,” she recalled. “He just went down.” Surveillance footage corroborates her account: Shoulders took one step forward and the concrete ate him.

During his descent, “debris was falling and hitting him in the head,” White added. When Shoulders finally landed, White continued, he found that he was not alone. “He was like, ‘Ma, the rats down there were ridiculous.’ He was like, ‘They were like so big.’ He was scared to yell out because he thought they were gonna go in his mouth.” ...

https://www.thecut.com/2020/10/sinkhole-opens-in-nyc-sidewalk-plunging-man-into-rat-pit.html

Gravity isn't suction. I hate this headline.
Considering the rotten state of our infrastructure and ignorance of these things, I'm shocked there isn't more of this.

Gravity isn't suction. I hate this headline.
Considering the rotten state of our infrastructure and ignorance of these things, I'm shocked there isn't more of this.
There will be more, with the general increase in rainfall year on year.

A broken water main caused a sinkhole that opened beneath a family's parked van.

VanInSinkhole-LA-201110.jpg
Sinkhole opens beneath parked van in Los Angeles

A sinkhole that opened suddenly on a Los Angeles street swallowed the front half of a family's parked van.

The Los Angeles Fire Department said the vehicle was unoccupied Tuesday morning when the sinkhole opened underneath it on a street in the city's Crenshaw District. ...

The fire department said the sinkhole had been caused by a broken water main that caused flooding on South Buckingham Road. Firefighters arriving to deal with the flooding just after 5 a.m. found the van with its front half sunken into the road. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...eath-parked-van-in-Los-Angeles/7971605032247/

Ninja Turtle-esque green slime sinkhole turns heads in Toronto

Toronto citizens were taken aback this week when a photo of a sinkhole full of glowing green slime made the rounds on Twitter — reminding people of the radioactive sludge that turned normal turtles into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

iu

Posting a pic of the creepy green goo on it’s page, @BlogTo, which is described as “Toronto’s source for local news and culture, restaurant reviews, event listings and the best of the city”, noted: “Nothing to see here – just a sinkhole on Hastings Ave. in Leslieville #Toronto“.

Commenter @ShawnFromToronto quipped: “Anyone who wants to be a Ninja Turtle now is your time,” @PalDEvans suggested “Quick, somebody toss four baby turtles in there!” and @WassermanReview asked: “Heroes in a half shell anyone?”

But while the ooze looked radioactively alarming, it turns out it's a trading tactic as @Rich705 noted: “The coloured dye used is to see if the sink hole connects with any sewars (sic) nearby.”

https://nypost.com/2020/11/21/ninja-turtle-esque-green-slime-sinkhole-turns-heads-in-toronto/

maximus otter

Posting a pic of the creepy green goo on it’s page, @BlogTo, which is described as “Toronto’s source for local news and culture, restaurant reviews, event listings and the best of the city”, noted: “Nothing to see here – just a sinkhole on Hastings Ave. in Leslieville #Toronto“.

Commenter @ShawnFromToronto quipped: “Anyone who wants to be a Ninja Turtle now is your time,” @PalDEvans suggested “Quick, somebody toss four baby turtles in there!” and @WassermanReview asked: “Heroes in a half shell anyone?”

But while the ooze looked radioactively alarming, it turns out it's a trading tactic as @Rich705 noted: “The coloured dye used is to see if the sink hole connects with any sewars (sic) nearby.”

https://nypost.com/2020/11/21/ninja-turtle-esque-green-slime-sinkhole-turns-heads-in-toronto/

maximus otter
This is uranine (fluorescein) dye - a common thing for anyone who knows anything about groundwater tracing. What the hell kind of media do we have when "reporters" and "journalists" quote f***ing Twitter for their "facts".

Last edited:

Toronto citizens were taken aback this week when a photo of a sinkhole full of glowing green slime made the rounds on Twitter — reminding people of the radioactive sludge that turned normal turtles into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

iu

maximus otter
I've seen Ghostbusters 2 .. that's ectoplasm.

This is uranine (fluorescein) dye - a common thing for anyone who knows anything about groundwater tracing. What the hell kind of media do we have when "reporters" and "journalists" quote f***ing Twitter for their "facts".
A tracing dye is the first thing I thought of when seeing the piccie. Are they a bit naïve in Toronto?

Reactions: RaM
A tracing dye is the first thing I thought of when seeing the piccie. Are they a bit naïve in Toronto?
No. According to my friend in Toronto, they were not even "taken aback". This is the New York Post which is a tabloid that has nothing to do with Toronto. They deal in click bait.

Multi-tasking sinkhole: affects covid patients as well.

A giant sinkhole opened in the car park of a hospital in Naples, Italy, forcing the temporary closure of a nearby residence for recovering Covid-19 patients because the electricity was cut.

Operations were not affected at the Hospital of the Sea, and firefighters said it did not appear anyone was injured. The sinkhole consumed a few cars in the hospital’s otherwise empty visitors’ car park. The local hospital district said the 66 feet deep, 2,000-square-metre sinkhole opened at dawn.

Chief firefighter Commander Ennio Aquilino told Italian television channel SkyTG 24 the implosion could have been caused by an infiltration of water underground as a result of recent heavy rains. ...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40203308.html

A sinkhole opened in a Manchester street last night. A car fell into it and houses collapsed.

Manchester sinkhole: Houses collapse in Gorton street

Two houses have partially collapsed after a sinkhole measuring 10ft (3m) opened up on a Manchester street.
Four homes were evacuated on Wednesday evening after the hole appeared on Walmer Street in Abbey Hey, Gorton.

Fire crews returned hours later after the front of two of the empty properties crashed to the ground.

United Utilities said it was dealing with a collapsed sewer but was investigating all possible causes including the recent heavy rain.
etc

This was on my local TV news tonight. It caught my eye because Gorton is where the moors murderers lived.

I nearly knew them and their victims, in various FOAF sort of ways. Brrr.

A farmer has been pulled to safety from a 60ft (18m) sinkhole which "swallowed" him and the quad bike he was riding.

Seems to be a collapsed old mine.

The ground opened up as the man rode across a field at Bowesfield Farm in Stank [arf], south Cumbria, rescuers said.

Ian Westall of Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service said: "The ground just fell away with the weight of the bike on that particular spot and he was swallowed up into the sinkhole."

The farmer was flown to hospital and is being treated for chest injuries.

The opening was about 8ft (2m) wide at the top but widened below "like a wine carafe", which posed additional risk to rescuers, Mr Westall said.

"You've got a lip at the top which went down into a narrow throat, and then there was a large bulbous bottom which opened up 10m (33ft) in one direction and 4m (13ft) in the other.

"Obviously, with unstable ground and people on the surface unsighted, there was an inherent risk.

"We had to make sure the rescuers weren't going to be involved in any further movement or collapse of the ground, so we widened the cordon area and had only those directly involved in the rescue at the scene."

1614951361839.png

Sinkholes appearing in Croatian village after earthquake

Sinkholes have been appearing in the village of Mecencani, a village 40km away from Croatia's capital.

Their appearance isn't unusual, given that the region was hit by a 6.4 magnitude earthquake in December.

However, residents and geologists have noted the frequency of the sinkholes, stirring up significant concern in an area still rebuilding after the quake.

short video at link

Back