• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Swastikas & Disputes About The Swastika Symbol

I met a woman from the US who had never heard of Bob Marley.
I'd always assumed he was world-famous and not just Commonwealth-famous.
Nah he's famous state side as well. She was likely an isolated case

Here's one in Yorkminster.

View attachment 1012
Being a place of worship and what the swastika has come to represent as a result of Hitler's madness you really think they would have covered it up with a carpet or something. Quite a photo.

Last edited:
It's like Isis now take something wonderful (a peaceful symbol/goddess name) and use it for evil. It's a great shame.
Yes but unfortunately with the Neo-Nazi's running about in the US and Europe, the militant - Racial overtones associated with the swastika are not likely to go away any time soon.
Not to mention the 3 million poles, 6 million Jews, 1 million Gypsies and ~12 million Soviets murdered in the name of Hitler's racial madness. Note: according to some of the latest historians.

FT reported on the barracks, I think in Hanover, that the British Army inherited from the Waffen SS and might still occupy today. Apart from a repeatedly attested haunting in the guardroom (including cells formerly used for the detention of SS prisoners, which cannot have been a pleasant place of incarceration), an embarrassing feature was that the buildings taken over as the British Officers' Mess had large, ornate, stone swastikas carved into the main entry portal doorframe, one either side. The Nazi murals painted on the walls inside were dealt with by painting them over: but the embarrassing swastikas in the stone doorframe defied all removal. Chiselled off and repeatedly sandblasted, they still left their ghostly shapes behind, whatever the new management did to mitigate this...

Didn't the good luck symbol have the legs going the other way?
used to see ships on the Manchester ship channel with them on
the bow 40 or so years back.
t is generally true that the good luck of the swastika faces the opposite direction from the German hate symbol. Vilefacation of an ancient good luck symbol because of a few pinheaded dimwits just seems wrong.

I still have trouble with it because people in general will fail to see it for it's former meaning. The Nazi's have seen to that don't forget they caused a war that resulted in more death, destruction and murder than any other in history. I believe it will be hard for people to look the other way because one reverse biases the orientation of the Swastika.

I took an R.E. test in school where one of the questions was to draw a swastika (!). I got it wrong because I drew it the wrong way around. Maybe it should have been marked correct instead?

I still have trouble with it because people in general will fail to see it for it's former meaning. The Nazi's have seen to that don't forget they caused a war that resulted in more death, destruction and murder than any other in history. I believe it will be hard for people to look the other way because one reverse biases the orientation of the Swastika.
Jim, it is unfortunate; but what you say is true. Funny, well, sad, how some subhuman jerks can destroy something intended to be good.

Reactions: Jim
It is a bit difficult to be sure, but I suspect that ancient Hindu and Buddhist use of the swastika made little distinction between the clockwise and anticlockwise versions. Choosing the reverse swastika against the Nazi version seems to be a modern development.

That could very well be true. I haven't gotten that much into the pre German history of the symbol. do know the American Indian and ancient India Buddists amoung others were aware of it as a good luck sign.

I have no idea. I was in grade school during WW2. I remember a lot, but I guess I just never heard their excuse. I guess because it was a pagan symbol and they were really into paganism.

Many German dictionaries produced after the war refused to acknowledge the word Swasticka. Old German books of mine define your word as "Crookedhook" which does not seem glorious enough for a bunch of depraved idiots.

Many German dictionaries produced after the war refused to acknowledge the word Swasticka. Old German books of mine define your word as "Crookedhook" which does not seem glorious enough for a bunch of depraved idiots.
I've seen stuff on the Web that suggests 'hooked cross'.

It was godfearing misery, not godless misery. Hakenkreuz means something like cross with barbs.

Like I said, I really don't know. My sources are from the late 40's, early 50's. And they were avoiding the word completely. Perhaps a pre war German dictionary would correctly define it.

By the way the German high command turned their backs on Christianity. Many common citizens did not. But nonetheless the high command was Godless and went down in flames for it.

Reactions: Jim
Defining it is not the problem, you brits just don't have a good word for haken.

haken - how about 'buggered up', as in, Them tree trimmers, gotten from the electricity commission, really hakened them bloody trees up...

By the way the German high command turned their backs on Christianity. Many common citizens did not. But nonetheless the high command was Godless and went down in flames for it.
This is absolutely correct as Hitler and the SS believed in the worship of the state and party as supreme. He eventually planed on doing away with organized religion and persecuted -executed numerous priest and ministers.

Back