• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Swaziland

oll_lewis

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
If you want a break from the war on iraq when you swich on your telly or read a paper at the moment one is hard to find. :(

luckily I found the swaziland times. (swaziland is a small nation in southern africa where interesting things happen)

heres one gem from todays edition:

Sorry for the unprofessional punishment

BY SIHLE MAVUSO

MBABANE- A female teacher from Ndzevane primary school was forced to write letters of apology to over 40 parents apologising for the unprofessional punishment which she imposed on their kids.

According to information gathered yesterday, the teacher ordered the children to come out of class and crawl on their knees on a gravel road. The children suffered severe injuries and some had to be taken to the clinic.

The school head teacher Obed Dlamini confirmed the incident. He mentioned that he called the teacher and he warned her about the incident.

“The way she punished them was unprofessional and I was told that she took them out of class, which made it even worse. I have since ordered her to write letters to the students parents to apologise for the incident.

“I also ordered her to apologize to the children.” he said.

In another incident two students from St Mary’s high school were last year canned by a teacher after they were accused of dating many men.

A charge was laid against the teacher, however the parents of the two girls later withdrew it.

the times of swaziland

any one else care to report on any other interesting storys they've dredged up that are not to do with that war?

Not exactly news, but I thought it was funny in a painful sort of way:

http://www.coloradobluegrass.org/overture.htm

1812 Overture - Please don't try this at home

Uraguay Times 08/1998

Paolo Esperanza, bass-trombonist with the Simphonica Mayor de Uruguay, in a misplaced moment of inspiration decided to make his own contribution to the cannon shots fired as part of the orchestra's performance of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture at an outdoor children's concert. In complete seriousness he placed a large, ignited firecracker, which was equivalent in strength to a quarter stick of dynamite, into his aluminum straight mute and then stuck the mute into the bell of his quite new Yamaha in-line double-valve bass trombone.

Later, from his hospital bed he explained to a reporter through bandages on his mouth, "I thought that the bell of my trombone would shield me from the explosion and instead, would focus the energy of the blast outwards and away from me, propelling the mute high above the orchestra, like a rocket."

However, Paolo was not up on his propulsion physics nor qualified to use high-powered artillery and in his haste to get the horn up before the firecracker went off, he failed to raise the bell of the horn high enough so as to give the mute enough arc to clear the orchestra.

What actually happened should serve as a lesson to us all during those delirious moments of divine inspiration. First, because he failed to sufficiently elevate the bell of his horn, the blast propelled the mute between rows of players in the woodwind and viola sections of the orchestra, missing the players and straight into the stomach of the conductor, driving him off the podium and directly into the front row of the audience.

Fortunately, the audience were sitting in folding chairs and thus they were protected from serious injury, for the chairs collapsed under them passing the energy of the impact of the flying conductor backwards into row of people sitting behind them, who in turn were driven back into the people in the row behind and so on, like a row of dominos. The sound of collapsing wooden chairs and grunts of people falling on their behinds increased logarithmically, adding to the overall sound of brass cannons and brass playing as constitutes the closing measures of the Overture.

Meanwhile, all of this unplanned choreography not withstanding, back on stage Paolo's Waterloo was still unfolding. According to Paolo, "Just as the I heard the sound of the blast, time seemed to stand still. Everything moved in slow motion. Just before I felt searing pain to my mouth, I could swear I heard a voice with a Austrian accent say "Fur every akshon zer iz un eekvul un opposeet reakshon!" Well, this should come as no surprise, for Paolo had set himself up for a textbook demonstration of this fundamental law of physics. Having failed to plug the lead pipe of his trombone, he allowed the energy of the blast to send a super heated jet of gas backwards through the mouth pipe of the trombone which exited the mouthpiece burning his lips and face.

The pyrotechnic ballet wasn't over yet. The force of the blast was so great it split the bell of his shiny Yamaha right down the middle, turning it inside out while at the same time propelling Paolo backwards off the riser. And for the grand finale, as Paolo fell backwards he lost his grip on the slide of the trombone allowing the pressure of the hot gases coursing through the horn to propel the trombone's slide like a double golden spear into the head of the 3rd clarinetist, knocking him unconscious.

The moral of the story? Beware the next time you hear someone in the trombone section yell out "Hey, everyone, watch this!"

(The Uraguay Times doesn't have a web site that I could find - I probably wouldn't have been able to translate it anyway (assuming it's in Spanish))

Jane.

mejane said:
Just before I felt searing pain to my mouth, I could swear I heard a voice with a Austrian accent say "Fur every akshon zer iz un eekvul un opposeet reakshon!"
Austrian? I didn't know Isaac newton was Austrian! :D

(And he wrote his Principia, containing his three laws of motion, in Latin...)

rynner said:
Austrian? I didn't know Isaac newton was Austrian! :D

(I suspect the author was thinking of Einstein and got his people, and quite possibly his facts, a little mixed up) :D

I liked the fact that our hero could distinguish between a German and Austrian accent, whilst simultanously learning the laws of motion the hard way. Personally, I would still be thinking "eh, what language was that?".

Jane.

A dish best served cold?

Angry fan bites off striker's ear

Angry fan bites off striker's ear
LONDON (Reuters) - Forward George Reilly, who scored Watford's winning goal in the 1984 FA Cup semi-final, has had his ear bitten off by a disgruntled Plymouth fan who had held a grudge over his team's defeat for 19 years.
Reilly, a 6 feet 4 inch striker became a bricklayer after hanging up his boots and was working on a building site in Corby, Northants when a labourer punched him to the ground, The Sun newspaper has reported.
The attacker chewed off one of Reilly's ears and whispered 'Plymouth' into the other one.
Doctors had to use 50 stitches to sew 45-year-old Reilly's ear back on.
Plymouth lost the semi-final 1-0 -- the closest they have ever come to reaching the FA Cup final.
Watford lost 2-0 to Everton in the final.
"I can't believe someone has held a grudge for that long," said Reilly, who also played for Newcastle United. "I know people have strong loyalties but this is taking it a bit far.
"This guy just punched me. I overpowered him and we were both lying in a pool of mud. Then he bit me. My ear was hanging by the lobe. I also needed eight stitches in my eye, so I'm in a bit of a mess."
Reilly, who said he may call in the police, added: "The bloke was from Plymouth but he has vanished from the building site. I don't know who he is."

Now I'm an Argyle supporter and love the club dearly but even I regard this as just a tad excessive.

An unfortunate series of events...

There is something else in the nationals besides the war,

In the Guardian at http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,929211,00.html

Crash, bang washing
Gerard Seenan

Friday April 4, 2003
The Guardian

As unfortunate coincidences go, this one was beyond the ingenuity of even the most brazenly slapstick of comic writers.

A woman is contemplating acquiring a new bathroom and having her roof repaired after a hugely unlikely chain of events involving a washing machine, an aerosol and a pair of scissors.

When Daphne Jones, of Great Yarmouth, left for work she set the timer on her washing machine.

While she worked, her machine juddered into life at home. But as the spin cycle began the vibrations knocked a can of spray paint sitting on top of it to the floor.

The aerosol was quickly followed by a pair of sharp scissors which, improbably, landed point side down on the can.

The scissors pierced the can, letting out the gas propellant. At this point the family's boiler kicked into life - with unfortunate consequences.

The flame from the boiler ignited the aerosol gas, sparking an explosion which ripped off part of the roof, destroyed the bathroom and terrorised neighbours.

"This was a callout with a difference," said Graham Joy, of Norfolk fire brigade. "The chances of this happening again are a million to one."

Mrs Jones, a voluntary worker, said: "I was out at work when my daughter called me.

"She had been in the bedroom when she heard a bang. She said the whole house shook and she thought we were under attack.

"She was too terrified to come out of the room. Our two cocker spaniel dogs were barking and threw up on the floor. It must have been the shock."

Re: An unfortunate series of events...

Timble said:
There is something else in the nationals besides the war,

In the Guardian at http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,929211,00.html

Many, many years ago, an acquaintance burned down his place of business in a similar manner. In Ed's case he had been painting, and using gasoline (petrol) to clean the brushes. When he was finished, he poured it into the toilet and flushed it away, or so he thought. The fire inspector's reasoning was that the gasoline being lighter than water either never flushed, or else rose back up through the pipes. In any event, the restroom eventually filled up with flammable vapours which exploded late that night, completely destroying the place. Fortunately, no-one was around at the time, but the building was a total loss.

Richard E. Grant was born in Swaziland, sorry Eswatini.
I like Richard E. Grant.

Back