• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Swearwords Originating As Acronyms

Dear Internet,
Practically no word is derived from an acronym before WWII, or 40's and 50's technology, though soon after the revolution, the Soviet state favored similar word structures. You are driving me crazy (which is not derived from Constantly Ranting About Zany Yakking).

Yup.

Seems to me that it's a phenomenon which somehow manages to be both lazy and overcomplex at the same time.

Dear Internet,
Practically no word is derived from an acronym before WWII, or 40's and 50's technology, though soon after the revolution, the Soviet state favored similar word structures.
How intriguing...!

Slightly unsure what exactly this encompasses, you have caused need for further thought on same and I came across the following New York Times article.

It's equally fascinating, although I may be even less certain now than before!

I was hoping it might be of general interest.

Acronym
By Ben Zimmer
Dec. 16, 2010

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/magazine/19FOB-onlanguage-t.html

You write, "Practically no word is derived from an acronym before WWII, or 40's".

This must surely have been one of the earliest and today's trivia question; what did PLUTO stand for? :)

It's something I heard way back in primary school - I recall and never forgotten because it made such an impression.

Here was a word we all knew, yet it could also be made up of other words!

Back