• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Synchronicity on the FT message board

That's eerie.

I hear about a lot of synchronic things happening with people, but usually it's people who are very close, like siblings or parent/child.

I had a synchronic thing happen with my best friend once when we were in high school.

Meaning Wanted

This was coincidental, but where's the meaning? To be synchrony, it must be meaningful coincidence.

Re: Meaning Wanted

FraterLibre said:
This was coincidental, but where's the meaning? To be synchrony, it must be meaningful coincidence.

What do you mean by meaningful coincidence?

In the Jungian Sense

syn·chro·nic·i·ty   Pronunciation Key  (sngkr-ns-t, sn-)
n. pl. syn·chro·nic·i·ties
1. The state or fact of being synchronous or simultaneous; synchronism.
2. Coincidence of events that seem to be meaningfully related, conceived in Jungian theory as an explanatory principle on the same order as causality.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

This thread, and your usage, held reference to the Jungian sense of the term, and as such I simply wondered what the meaning might be.

But what if you go by the first meaning of the word, which doesn't call for the coincidence to be meaningful at all?

Really

Consider the thread, its topic, its referents, and you'll see that it is Jung's sense of the term being cited.

Ok, so it might not mean much, but I found this on Snopes today:

The Ogopogo/Sureshot similarities

Both were born on a day ending in 'y'.

Both were born in a year beginning with '19'.

Both live in a town with a man named Johnson.

Ogopogo has a secretary named Sureshot. Sureshot has a secretary named Ogopogo.

Ogopogo drives on a parkway. Sureshot parks in a driveway.

What are the odds?

Back