• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Out of idal curiosity, shelli, could you tell us how the medium managed to burn her throte?
It just seems like a very odd occorance, and one I've not heard of before. A sceptic may sugest that this could be because the medium might have felt that there were a few skeptical people in the group that may blow her cover if she were fakeing.

Never mind the table-tipping and the sore throat. Scroll down the page on the 'yikes' link and see the pictures of the medium dematerialising! :eek!!!!:

Sandy Sinclair - Tiptology

Sandy Sinclair is a lovely lady, a pure spiritualist in every sense of the word, not a fake, but that's easy for me to say as I've actually met her and taken part in energy meetings on a weekly basis. Sandy told me that while ever she is in a deep state, on the other side, interference from the outside world can have catastrophic effects to the medium while they are in a deep trance like state, almost causing danger to the well being of the medium. Check out a story on Helen Duncan, a well reported medium who was an ordinary woman, with a gift for contacting the spirits, her death is a prime example of this. If you tap Sandy Sinclair into the google bar, you'll be able to read alot about Sandy Sinclair and her amazing gift. Actually... I haven't seen Sandy for a few years, and I'd love to get in contact with her again, though she's moved.. and I would love to get back into the energy meetings again, they were quite fascinating and unbelievable to take part in. Keith Bennett, the poor boy connected with the Moors Murders, he came through one night, and Sandy went out of her way, to visit the Moors to try and find him, he's still never been found.

I'm not saying I think any paticular medium is a fraud (with the possible exception of Derrick achorah and his stand in from I'm famous and frightened Ian 'go into the light dearie' Lawman if I've remembered his name correctly). I'm saying I've yet to be convinced as I have never seen a 'genuine' medium.

If Sandy Sinclair did not contact Keith Bennit then of course it would be a horrible thing to claim (espicilly to his liveing relatives), however if she did then did she try automatic writeing or pendulum dowseing over a map of the moors in an attempt to locate the body? if she did genuinely contact him I would have hoped she attempted that.

Re: Tiptology

shelli said:
I took part in a Table Tilting sesh with a very well respected medium/clairvoyant (Sandy Sinclair)

Wish there was video of this sort of thing happening. As it is, I would be more able to believe it was hypnotism. Derren Brown (yes him again!) said that he once hypnotised a room of people so that they could not see him - he was effectively invisible, as there was nobody else in the room to say otherwise. He's done things in his shows where people swear they are seeing something but clearly it's not happening.
Not belittling your experience, just putting forth another possible explanation, btw.

As for the pictures of the medium dematerialising, this sort of photographic effect can be created with a camera on a long exposure, with the subject moving halfway through exposure.
Example:
members.rogers.com/roddydouglas/ghostmain.html
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20041012112001/http://members.rogers.com/roddydouglas/ghostmain.html

Having said all this, I really hope she's the real deal, it'd be nice if it were all real.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The pattern of the curtain seen through her dematerialised head is quite distinct and would be almost impossible to superimpose"

Sorry, but this is total crap. (I do admit, I represent the other extreme of these posts!)
What I have read, the "evidence" I have seen and the repetative anacdotes sum up nothing paranormal at all. Whether or not she or any other 'mediums' are fake or think they are genuine, is besides the point. They all insist they are "for real" and I for one believe that the perpetuation of such fantasy is destructive and corrupt to the degree that people in certain cultures murder people through superstitious belief, whether it be sacrifice or "curse reversal". These people are getting kicks out of it, (Whether they are making a living out of it or not.)

Why is the cup not dark? Because lighter objects show up more in a double exposure, *Or more technically... when a subject moves during a long exposure wearing somewhat darker clothing that the surroundings * Notice she wears no bright colours for those shots. Also if you look closer, there are2 cups, one faint, and tho other pretty much fully exposed. Notice also, her hands are conceiling something. (Dark cloth from her face?) Hmmm? How long does it take to remove a dark thing from your face for a 3 second shot ? It's very easy to do within camera, (Has anyone got the negatives? I ask, 'cos it could easlily have been done in PS.) I find that there's absolutely NO evidence that any of this medium/spiritualism/esp/telekenisis/de/materialisation etc etc exists at all. (More of the Occam's razor anyone?)
So people...please don't be gullible.....I'm not being high or mighty at all, nor am I patronising anyone, but come on.... I said I am representing the other extreme...someone has to , to balance the rationality of Forteanism! No offense intended.....Just balancing the equasion that's all.:D
Aye!

spillage said:

Er yeah....that's sort of what I already said in my post, but in a manner less likely to anger and upset the people on the thread who choose to believe in this sort of thing for whatever reason. Have some tact mate!
;)

table raising

Does anyone remember a David Frost tv show from ( I think ) the 1970s where a cabaret magician demonstrated table turning and table raising ?As I remember there were no flashing lights ,laser beams ,or show biz tricks etc. to distract anyones attention-- this man did the demo ,all the time telling us it was all part of his stage act.A woman volunteer from the studio audience ,who had her hands on the table when it moved ,was badly upset by all this and ran back to her seat exclaiming " it moved ! it moved !"When Frost asked how it was done the mans only reply was "it's a trick".

some good stories of table tipping (raising) etc. But is there any good video footage of it happening filmed in good light with a good camera. very easy to make a table move with out others noticing especially if the rest want something to happen.

thethingishere said:
some good stories of table tipping (raising) etc. But is there any good video footage of it happening filmed in good light with a good camera. very easy to make a table move with out others noticing especially if the rest want something to happen.

I think Derren Brown did that in his Seance special a few years ago.

I would be interested in trying table-raising if I can find some like-minded volunteers. It seems as though its not difficult to achieve results. Is there any special technique involved beyond laying hands on the table and chanting "Rise!"? Do you need one or more adolescent girls participating? (Someone once told me they're particularly good at attracting occult forces). Any risk of letting loose demons or permanent brain damage?

Many years ago I was at a party with fellow teenagers, where we grouped round a circular coffee table and "willed" it to rise, which it most certainly did, with no apparent trickery involved!
I can't remember whether we actually said anything out loud, but none of us suffered any psychological damage as far as I know -I'm still in contact with a couple of the people involved.

As I've said before on this board, I have also used a oujia board quite a bit in my time, but these days I wouldn't do it "just for fun". That's asking for trouble!

Michael Faraday's table turning experiment

That totally explains how a table could start to rotate, but not rise off the ground.
Incidentally, the woman presenter in the video - Franziska Kohlt, is Fortean royalty, having written articles about myth, folklore, seeing fairies, dreams and time travel. She also used to work for Marvel Comics.

Michael Faraday's table turning experiment

Thanks for posting this. Great video.

My inner contrarian protests at the conclusion that this demonstrates the table turning must have the causes of voluntary (cheating) or involuntary muscle movements by the participants.

If a spirit/ghost/disincarnate/demon was turning the table, and did not have much physical strength to do this, then the efforts by the human participants to stabilize their hands in response to seeing the indicator move would be enough to stop the table turning. More investigation, please.

I expect a scientific materialist to post about Occam's razor. I post my standard pre-emptive refutation that it all depends on the pre-existing assumptions which are so difficult to recognize and admit.

I've never seen it done but read plenty of antidotal accounts, how does someone get a table to rise in the air? I've not got a clue

I've never seen it done but read plenty of antidotal accounts, how does someone get a table to rise in the air? I've not got a clue
This puzzles me too. Techy swears he and friends achieved this, as described in the early pages of this thread. The table lifted up and danced.

When Derren Brown demonstrated table-moving, he had people standing up with their hands on the tables. The tables then seemed to start waltzing around the place with the people hurrying to keep up. This was ideomotor movement.

I've also seen table-rising achieved with the use of rods that are strapped to demonstrators' forearms and fit into holes in the table woodwork. This might have been on Derren Brown's show too.

Techy and co. didn't do anything like this. They'd lay their hands on the table and it'd bounce and hop on its legs.
Before it moved, they'd hear a creaking sound as if the wood itself was straining to move.
It's all on'ere somewhere.

This puzzles me too. Techy swears he and friends achieved this, as described in the early pages of this thread. The table lifted up and danced.

When Derren Brown demonstrated table-moving, he had people standing up with their hands on the tables. The tables then seemed to start waltzing around the place with the people hurrying to keep up. This was ideomotor movement.

I've also seen table-rising achieved with the use of rods that are strapped to demonstrators' forearms and fit into holes in the table woodwork. This might have been on Derren Brown's show too.

Techy and co. didn't do anything like this. They'd lay their hands on the table and it'd bounce and hop on its legs.
Before it moved, they'd hear a creaking sound as if the wood itself was straining to move.
It's all on'ere somewhere.
It's so easy for the Pseudo sceptics to dismiss, but by proper investigation we could learn about some untapped power of the collective mind, it really annoys me that things are effectively shut down without any real investigation

When I was at college one day there was a lot of talk about how one of the classes had raised a table by laying their hands on it,
I seem to remember that some of us tried it with someone sitting on a wooden chair and putting fingers on the top.
It was raised a few inches but then we got scared and it came down.

It's so easy for the Pseudo sceptics to dismiss, but by proper investigation we could learn about some untapped power of the collective mind, it really annoys me that things are effectively shut down without any real investigation
When I was at college one day there was a lot of talk about how one of the classes had raised a table by laying their hands on it,
I seem to remember that some of us tried it with someone sitting on a wooden chair and putting fingers on the top.
It was raised a few inches but then we got scared and it came down.
If we Weird Weekenders get together in the privacy of the hall after the talks, I might suggest a spot of table-tipping. :)

Techy's done it so can advise. :bthumbup:

I had a great uncle by marriage (married to nan’s sister) and I used to visit them in Wales with my nan fairly often when I was young for a weekend or longer. ‘Uncle Arthur’ related that when he was a young man a friend had persuaded him to go to a seance. Arthur didn’t believe in any of it so decided to go just to be a pain and mock it, basically. There was some table tipping in which the table did appear to lift a bit. It was a heavy old table but he started to scoff and got up to walk out. The others got up too, annoyed with him and he swore this table lifted up on its own to chest height and trapped him against the wall. Well, he said, ‘I didn’t laugh about it again.’

Techy (just back from a bike ride) says they tipped two different sizes of table. At one point a young lady called Lucy sat on the smaller table (sturdy, about 3'x3') and screamed when it lifted!

Lots more table fun occurred, culminating in the large table tipping onto its side and sliding across a large room to embed itself, legs-first, into a plasterboard wall.

There's more to this. It get worse. :cool:

You're in luck. It's never been easier to organize a well controlled experiment to see if a force exists that's hitherto evaded science. You'll need:

A large open room with a solid concrete floor. A wooden table that's been swept with metal detectors. Some low lighting. Probably a bunch of HD cameras for 360-degree coverage and throw in IR and UV cameras as well. Participants have to go through a standard airport security scanner on the way in. No exceptions. Put cameras on the ceiling and without telling the participants, put a couple of (tiny) cameras under the table.

Let me know how you get on. :curt:

Back