• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Taiwan

A

Anonymous

OK, it's a long-shot, but . . .

I'm posted in Taipei for a brief stint. Anyone know of any good Fortean sites, stories to check out here?

Hey, I said it was a long-shot!:p

Stilton

Taiwan is stuffed full of ghosts! All over the blinking place. Ask anyone. Especially in August when the gates of hell open and all the ancestors are allowed out to visit, so everyone stays away from water and don't go to the seaside.

Have you been to the Indian Beer House? Serves tex-mex food and interior is decorated with huge dinosaur skeletons. Not sure if that counts as fortean but definitely odd anyway. Apparently. i've never been)

I'll make enquiries!

lemonpie: Thanks, always nice to get advice from a tart. :D

I need to come back in a couple of months, so I'll make arrangments to return in August.

I'll also check around Taipei for the Indian Beer House. Dried squid pizza and congealed blood soup are wearing out their welcome on my lunch menus. I'm all for local cuisine, but . . . ;)

Regards,

Stilton

Dried squid pizza? Stilton, you're making my mouth water. Don't know about the congealed blood soup though. :cross eye

Some worrying signs that China (PRC) is starting in 2019 to ramp-up its international demands that it should be allowed to re-absorb Taiwan (Republic of China).

There are worrying hints that military force from the PRC may not be ruled-out: although that is of course always implicit in all dealings with China.

It would be ironic if, with the world's eyes looking at North/South Korea as a potential flashpoint, the real location for concern was outside the mainland in the South China Sea.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/01/taiwan-tells-china-to-use-peaceful-means-to-resolve-differences.html

MODS- I've posted this rather-worrying information here, but it might be more-appropriately appended elsewhere

Some worrying signs that China (PRC) is starting in 2019 to ramp-up its international demands that it should be allowed to re-absorb Taiwan (Republic of China).

There are worrying hints that military force from the PRC may not be ruled-out: although that is of course always implicit in all dealings with China.

It would be ironic if, with the world's eyes looking at North/South Korea as a potential flashpoint, the real location for concern was outside the mainland in the South China Sea.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/01/taiwan-tells-china-to-use-peaceful-means-to-resolve-differences.html

MODS- I've posted this rather-worrying information here, but it might be more-appropriately appended elsewhere
They probably figure that they can get away with it now that the US has a weak president. There's no guarantee that the US will defend Taiwan.

I'm going to Taipei for a short holiday tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone has any more places of fortean interest they can recommend.

The Grand Hyatt Hotel in Taipei has always had the reputation of being very, very haunted and often makes the list for haunted hotels around the world. I can't recall the back story but it can't be too hard to find.

Other places on the island (a few around Taipei) can be found here:
Seven Spooky Places In Taiwan
Some sound pretty interesting.

Isn't Taiwan basically the East Asian equivalent of Europe's Transylvania in reputation?

I'm starting this thread with a bar that may well appeal to Forteans who find themselves in Taipei.

The Misanthrope Society: A Taipei bar for people who dislike humankind
Louise Watt, CNN • Updated 3rd March 2020

Taipei, Taiwan (CNN) — Hidden away in a dead-end alley, a skeleton perches on a bar stool with a wine glass and a cigarette. Grinning vacantly, he leans against a wall emblazoned with a quote from Franz Kafka: "There is an infinite amount of hope in the universe ... but not for us."

This is your welcome to "The Misanthrope Society," a bar that offers drinkers and diners a respite from other people.

Full Article With Gallery:
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/taipei-bar-the-misanthrope-society/index.html

How much for the ducks?

Bizarre and worrying.

Investigations into the drugging of preschool children in Taiwan have sparked widespread alarm on the island.

Teachers at a kindergarten in New Taipei City have been accused of sedating students with cough syrups containing drugs like phenobarbital and benzodiazepines. Police have been investigating for weeks and say it's not clear why the children were fed the addictive syrups.

But the scandal has sparked family protests outside government buildings. Hundreds joined a demonstration in New Taipei City on Sunday calling for greater transparency from the police investigation, with many criticising authorities for their lack of public disclosure.

On Monday, a separate case also emerged concerning a medical practice in the southern city of Kaohsiung, on the other end of the island. The local health department there found four doctors guilty of misconduct and improper use of phenobarbital on about 20 children. They were ordered to suspend their practice for six months, and were fined 1.4m Taiwanese dollars (£35,989, $46,121).

Amid growing public concern, Taipei City Hospital has also begun offering free blood tests for preschool children to check for traces of sedatives.

The measures come after the scandal first emerged in May, when parents at a private preschool in New Taipei City accused staff of feeding their children "unknown drugs". ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65947346

I would have thought it quite obvious what's going on. Think about it, why would a person drug a child?

I would have thought it quite obvious what's going on. Think about it, why would a person drug a child?

Sexual abuse is indeed one possibility, but I shouldn't be surprised if it transpires that it was a madcap scheme to sedate them and make them easier to manage/ less work to deal with in large numbers.

Sexual abuse is indeed one possibility, but I shouldn't be surprised if it transpires that it was a madcap scheme to sedate them and make them easier to manage/ less work to deal with in large numbers.
You could be right although most instances of drugs administered to children seem to involve pedophilia.

In the few articles I've read the effects of the drugs seems to have made some children irritable and aggressive.

https://daryo.uz/en/2023/06/22/taiw...ions-of-child-drugging-shake-education-system

The question as to the 'why'? To me this seems a little bizzare. They know who administered the drugs and there seems to have been a police investigation, although some articles don't state that, yet still no reason given. I would have thought that would be the very first questioned asked.

It could be. Articles today don't seem to have the detail they once had many years ago.

Back