• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Take Me To Your Leader" In Flying Saucer Cartoons

Saucerian

Better not touch the hull pal, it's still hot.
I have, for many years, wanted to find the first cartoon where an alien arriving on Earth asks or tells an Earth person, "Take Me To Your Leader," but have never been able to find any cartoon with that exact sentence spoken by an alien from another planet.

Many years ago, I found the New Yorker cartoon, which some people believe to be the first such cartoon, but in this case, the wording is, "Kindly take us to your President," and I had always heard and read "Take me to your leader," in reference to aliens arriving on Earth.

So, I am a bit skeptical that the New Yorker cartoon was the first, because of the different phrasing.

I had assumed that "Take Me To Your Leader," was an ages old saying used by Earth people arriving in other countries, centuries before the Flying Saucer era, and this is confirmed with examples from literature, on a link listed on a Wikapedia web page which claims that the New Yorker cartoon was the first use of a variation on "Take Me To Your Leader," in a flying saucer cartoon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_me_to_your_leader_(phrase)

Back in the late 1990s, after finding the New Yorker cartoon, I did net searches to find lists and galleries of flying saucer cartoons where the exact words, "take me to your leader," were used, with no success.

I do plan to do some image searches.

Does anyone know of a flying saucer cartoon before the 1953 New Yorker one, where an alien says to an Earthling, "take me to your leader?"

The phrase pre-dates the flying saucer / UFO craze with which it became uniquely associated.

This webpage provides a number of instances where it was used in adventure and other stories dating back into the 19th century.

http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php/more/2108/

Back