• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Taking Trips

When you're on about 10 different medications to try to keep your mind and body in a stable state, the thought of taking anything for "shits'n'giggles" really makes me fume.

I have experience taking prescribed drugs for mental issues and none helped, years of torture with no benefit. I started smoking cannabis and having fun with other drugs, it opened my mind and helped me understand and feel different about the world and me. I have only ever regretted taking recreational drugs once.

Many of my friends are in bad shape with prescribed diazepam, they walk around like zombies, they drool, they drop things, slur their words. They have problems and instead of dealing with it, they get wiped out. Diazepam is as much an issue round here as mephedrone, and the doctors are handing them out like they are sweets.

That sounds like a case of lazy medicalisation, and it is all too common.

Had LSD twice. The first time I was fed too much and thought the nazi's were after me, and spent the night curled in a ball hiding from them. The second I was so put off by my first time I did not really get 'off my face.'

My favorite hallucinogenic moment was watching a Metallica concert on my friends TV on MDMA, only to be told it was a cd playing and the TV was switched off. As for 'journeys' I've had plenty but they are for me. The drugs these days are shite, don't do them!

One good thing about the Nazis - they were pretty noisy what with all their tanks and marching and singing, so you'd have a good chance of hearing them coming ;) Sorry, I'm not making light of your experience...it must have been really frightening.

People can be extremely suggestible on LSD. A friend of mine, who was quite experienced, used to enjoy winding up more nervy people he was tripping with by saying things like 'Did you notice the kitchen's on fire?' then watching them boggle at the imaginary conflagration. The same chap, at a bonfire party when he'd decided necking LSD beforehand would be a good wheeze, amazed us by not just finishing my sentences, but repeatedly knowing what I was going to say and chiming in with the same words - which could be explained by our knowing each other well up to a point - but I wasn't making smalltalk about the weather or how Arsenal were doing, I was relating a long, improvised and fairly surreal shaggy dog story. My ex-girlfriend, who'd only had a couple of ales, remarked on the oddness of this for some time afterwards.

Chris's Metallica anecdote, above, reminds me of my absolute favourite 'true' LSD story: this concerned a group of people in a shared house, all in their early twenties, all tripping, watching a film on TV featuring a car chase scene. At one point, inevitably, the baddies in the film lose control and crash their car into a levee or something. The guy who first told me the story insists that at this point he heard an almighty bang outside, as though something had impacted the side of the house, jumped out of his skin, and 'saw' a car engine (big V8 American thing) smash through the window and come to rest on the carpet, just in front of the television. And here's the thing: everyone in the room turned to one another and said 'F*cking hell. Did you see THAT?' They all agreed they'd seen the engine. I still see all the people concerned and they're sticking to their story. If true (I've no reason to believe they're exaggerating) they either a) experienced telepathy in their altered state b) responded to the movie the same way due to being similarly-minded folks (and maybe even having all seen some other film together in which a car sheds its engine in a crash?), or c) Quickly 'invented' false memories of the shared hallucination, being highly suggestible under the influence and, due to their sense of time being messed up, believed it all to have happened in sync.

Oh, another quick one: people on acid 'believing they can fly' may seem a hoary old cliche, but this alarming mental confusion befell someone I know (a friend of the family) in the early 80s when he was about 18. Long story short: someone spiked his drink, resulting in an anxious night for his parents when he didn't come home (no mobiles in those days) and an eventual phone call from the police at some ungodly hour. A passer-by had alerted the local plod on seeing our friend standing, arms out, on the parapet of a bridge over the ringroad. He wasn't suicidal, just seemed to think it would be a good idea to launch himself off. He had to be talked down, and was most embarrassed by the whole thing afterwards. So it does happen!

Edited to correct at least some of the typos and bad punctuation.

Last edited:
I found it really amusing that a car advert for the ludicrously named Cactus has chosen to use Grace Slick/Jefferson Airplaine's White Rabbit as its backing music.

errr... the advertising execs do know what this song is about? That it relates to an altered state of consciousness in which driving a car would NOT be a good idea, and which is likely to result in a really bad trip (to the nick) if the police pull you over and feel your collar?

Evidently not....

If you have a nervy dispoz, definitely DO NOT try it out ... LSD would make it worse
Certainly not a fan of uninvited stress, so perhaps will let that sleeping dog lay. I did have a great sesh on mushies once as a youth ~ a massively enjoyable time for the whole night. Could write reams of description of the strangeness, but suffice to say it was surprisingly kept local and was very well-directed by a local TV floor manager who knew his shit. I subsequently (days later) decided that it was akin to straight out poisoning of the brain, and that I'd been lucky not to hollow out my soul on a bum trip. I had a very strong lucid dream of levitation which frightened me about one week later. The next weekend one of my besties did the trip again and ended up in hospital getting his tumtum pumped after smashing at a stranger's door asking them to save his life at 2am on a shocker. I'd do mushies again in a well-prepared and fully controlled setting. LSD ~ maybe not.

Thanks for responding to my request for anecdotes, board buddies. I certainly appreciate the contempt those without the ideal medication to allay their mental problems have for those of us who get by and yet seek kicks to allay the boredom. I won't be able to guilt myself into stopping, but I am sympathetic. Depression is not for larks.

We used to get to the fields by six am in September to pick shrooms. If we left it till late morning, the shrooms were harder to spot because the sun made them a browner colour. We also discovered that we didn't need any more than forty each chucked into a teacup, boiling water poured over them and left to stew. We'd pour the liquid through a strainer into another cup and use it to make a cup of tea then strap ourselves in for an, on average, 4 hour trip.

A pretty decent psilocybin magic mushroom inspired documentary:

We used to get to the fields by six am in September to pick shrooms. If we left it till late morning, the shrooms were harder to spot because the sun made them a browner colour. We also discovered that we didn't need any more than forty each chucked into a teacup, boiling water poured over them and left to stew. We'd pour the liquid through a strainer into another cup and use it to make a cup of tea then strap ourselves in for an, on average, 4 hour trip.

A pretty decent psilocybin magic mushroom inspired documentary:

[/QUOTE

One dude told me that lore said you should always eat the first handful as you'll summon the Mushroom Man to help you find the rest.

Only tried the mushrooms once - way back in my student days (as you do). Must have had 30 or so raw 'shrooms on toast. Felt very little until I was walking home maybe an hour or so later and I suddenly felt dizzy and had the sensation that the pavement was curling up in front of me, almost like I was pacing inside a huge hamster's wheel. That was it. Got home. Slept soundly, but had bad stomach cramps most of the next day. Never wanted to try them again after that.

drugsarebad.png

Firstly, I would never advocate the use of any powerful mind-altering drugs, and take no responsibility for any consequences resulting from anyone applying the following information, which I present for information only.

It is fairly well known that certain OTC cough medicines are abused recreationally at doses that far exceed the therapeutic dose. They contain the active ingredient dextromethorphan (dxm) which was developed as an alternative to opiates, which supress the urge to cough.

Most people scoff at the idea of chugging back cough medicine to get high, and this suits dxm affictionados very nicely. In fact, dxm is a highly potent dissociative, and users report intense euphoria, OOBE's, closed and open eye hallucinations, and contact with otherwordly beings, as well as profound insights and musical enhancement. It is greatly potentiated by marijuana.

Before anyone heads out to Boots to buy a few bottles of Covonia, it is also a very dangerous drug in high quantities, contraindicated with lots of other drugs, and, like other drugs, is associated with a number of deaths. Do your research. The dxm faq on Erowid is essential reading. It seems that among those that have tried it, a third are indifferent, a third hate it and a third love it. Far from being a 'poor man's ecstasy', it is an incredible drug, all the moreso for being perfectly legal. IMHO it shows what a farce the current government stance on both legal and illegal highs is, but that's another thread.

If anyone was to try this, they would REALLY need to do their research first. It is not a drug to goof around with, and is far more suited to psychonautical exploration. There are plently of reports of paranormal and fortean experiences as a result of using dxm, which is why I'm posting it here. And it goes without saying that if you wouldn't touch hallucinogens, dissociatives or empathogens, don't touch this. Start small (200mg of dxm is recommended), do some research and then do some more.

That's what my mate Warlock says anyway. I say drugs are bad, and am posting this for info only. Mods, if I have crossed any lines with this post, please delete and accept my apologies. I've tried to be as careful as I could be!

Last edited:
One of the ones with aircon that actually works?

No the whole carriage was expanding and deflating as I sat there in the semi darkness...coming up.

Did you begin to think that you were inside a metal underground lamprey?o_O

Firstly, I would never advocate the use of any powerful mind-altering drugs, and take no responsibility for any consequences resulting from anyone applying the following information, which I present for information only.

It is fairly well known that certain OTC cough medicines are abused recreationally at doses that far exceed the therapeutic dose. They contain the active ingredient dextromethorphan (dxm) which was developed as an alternative to opiates, which supress the urge to cough.

Most people scoff at the idea of chugging back cough medicine to get high, and this suits dxm affictionados very nicely. In fact, dxm is a highly potent dissociative, and users report intense euphoria, OOBE's, closed and open eye hallucinations, and contact with otherwordly beings, as well as profound insights and musical enhancement. It is greatly potentiated by marijuana.

Before anyone heads out to Boots to buy a few bottles of Covonia, it is also a very dangerous drug in high quantities, contraindicated with lots of other drugs, and, like other drugs, is associated with a number of deaths. Do your research. The dxm faq on Erowid is essential reading. It seems that among those that have tried it, a third are indifferent, a third hate it and a third love it. Far from being a 'poor man's ecstasy', it is an incredible drug, all the moreso for being perfectly legal. IMHO it shows what a farce the current government stance on both legal and illegal highs is, but that's another thread.

If anyone was to try this, they would REALLY need to do their research first. It is not a drug to goof around with, and is far more suited to psychonautical exploration. There are plently of reports of paranormal and fortean experiences as a result of using dxm, which is why I'm posting it here. And it goes without saying that if you wouldn't touch hallucinogens, dissociatives or empathogens, don't touch this. Start small (200mg of dxm is recommended), do some research and then do some more.

That's what my mate Warlock says anyway. I say drugs are bad, and am posting this for info only. Mods, if I have crossed any lines with this post, please delete and accept my apologies. I've tried to be as careful as I could be!

I'll back up this post, it was a laugh at the time, I'm not going to lie to you but the 'getting your head back together' part afterwards ? .. takes years .. pound for pound, it's really not worth it overall .. I was a wild child experimental type so we went on roller coasters on acid (the acid won), I had sex on acid (the acid won) .. if that's a hinting enough to anyone that tweaking life is a bad idea then hopefully I've done my job here. It's fun but at a cost. Come down's are a b*****d ..

I tried mushrooms a couple of times when I was younger - not very strong doses but enough to get some interesting visual effects. I remember standing in the corridor outside my room being fascinated by how it now appeared to be a vertical drop like a lift shaft. Also the image on the TV looked like a psychedelic jigsaw puzzle.

I'm not tempted to give all that another go, though. For one thing I suspect that I have an addictive personality, and for another I find druggies to be generally really irritating and annoying people. The sight of the local smackheads lolling down the street yelling their heads off incoherently at each other is more than enough to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I'm genuinely surprised at the generally negative views put forth here. Yeah, mind-altering substances are intense and definitely not for everyone, but jeez, being in a culture where drunkeness and alcoholism are just an accepted part of modern society, I just can't get too worked up about people choosing to experiment with hallucinogens.

Off soapbox. My personal history? Mushrooms a handful of times and LSD maybe 6-8 times, mostly during the 1980s. Never tried MDMA, DMT, etc. My best experience was taking fresh mushrooms and sitting by a river---had the proverbial 'awareness of the interconnectedness of everything' experience. I've had other, non-chemically induced spiritual experiences, but that had a crystalline clarity about it that I can still recall quite clearly almost 30 years later. Worst trip was taking too much LSD and my friends' bodies took on this metallic, flat shape that was quite upsetting. Last trip was on shrooms, walking around Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island of Hawai'i in 1991 or so.

I doubt Iwould trip again at this point in my life, but I'm not regretful I experimented with hallucinogens, either. But definitely agree that the proper mindset and physical setting are most important factors in affecting one's experience.

Acid trips just took too long for me from memory .. 12 hours average and not many people take them in the mornings so you'd be up all night .. when the fun bits ended, it was just a case of waiting until you could fall asleep ... long time ago for me and I wouldn't trip again nowadays either. Aldous Huxley's Doors of Perception : .. there's only so many time you can go through the same door.

As per @Ogdred Weary wish, I will share with you my psilocybe trips. I took the shrooms seven times in the span of seven months. The first five trips ranged from pure bliss to funny weirdness. The last two were what the psychesphere calls "bad trips". I'll talk about them in due time.

Why

A little background on me first. I grew up catholic and soon became interested in the Saint John of the Cross. I'm actually a Spanish citizen, and I can attest to how good his poetry is. He was my first contact with the "nosequé" and I still read the "Cántico Espiritual" from time to time.
Sometime later I had access to the internet and became aware of the works of Aldous Huxley. I ordered a recompiling of his studies on psychedelics called "Moksha" and became engulfed by it. What was he even talking about? I clearly couldn't know. If any of you reading this have taken psyches you'll know that you really can't communicate the experience to someone that hasn't been "there". Still, I somehow knew there was something waiting for me, I had to try that.

I was a teenager though, and really had no means nor the courage to try. I was also still battling with my catholicism and drugs felt wrong. Don't take this comment as a stance against Christianism, because I'm still close both to the religion and its believers. But we can talk about that in other threads if the opportunity arises. Anyhow, I just kept being interested but put the testing at a bay. Maybe I should mention I didn't drink any alcohol or took any other mind-altering substance for a long time, we're talking a year before my first trip. I always was both scared and disgusted by "drunkenness", but at the same time mesmerized by it.

Getting my feet wet

Fast forward to my 3rd year of college. The first week there something got into me and decided it was about time. I really couldn't tell you what was the catalyst, but I asked for my room-mate, who we will call M as he will re-appear in the next trip, to be around me if anything went wrong and took some. I had read countless reports beforehand and was particularly curious about "wall-breathing". So I relaxed on the couch looking at the ceiling waiting for the drug to make its thing.

Sure enough, 20 minutes or half an hour later the ceiling took a deep breath. I said "What the fuck!?" and started laughing. It was real! Psychedelics worked and I had done them! I couldn't believe it and I was so happy. M came to see what was happening.
-"Hey, so are you tripping already?".
-" Oh man, you wouldn't believe this, you have to try it!"
After I had looked at my hands and touched the wall for a long enough time I asked M to take a walk with me. It was the town's festival and there were lots of people on the streets. As I was walking among them I noticed how their faces looked like cartoons. For some reason everybody was very ugly, but not in a menacing way. I just found it funny. I should mention I was living in a gothic town the name of which I have no desire to call to mind, and we decided to walk up to the cathedral. There I sit between the trees looking at the monstrous building we humans had build. I always loved catholic architecture, and I still do, but for some reason, it appeared very boring to me at that time when I compared it to the very mundane trees that were around me. Their trunks were moving like snakes.

-"You look like a gigantic baby"- said M.

Oh yes, I was smiling like a little baby, seeing the world anew.

I decided it was enough and we returned to our place. I was amazed and very very happy. I told all of my close friends, which furnished me with the opportunities for my next adventures. The fourth one was the most incredible one and I'm not ashamed to say that on that day I took a quick peek at what heaven has to be like. If heaven exists.

I'm more than willing to answer any questions you people might want to ask me, and if you so desire, I will share the rest of my trips.

Apologies for the non-sequitur. I considered for a while which thread to put this in. Nothing seemed particularly apt, but this one came out on top. Mods - please feel free to move or delete as takes your fancy. Which you will do anyway, without this prompting :)

So ..... long time lurker - nearly zero contributor, which is a shame as contributions to the board are what make it interesting, so my bad and here we go - something of interest.

This is my recollection of something that happened to me on a trip, but which stands out as being in the objective rather than the subjective.
By personality, profession and precognition as to what will be asked, some FAQ:
When: 1989, Summer (can get more details if necessary)
Where: Esher Heights (in Surrey, England - sorry can't be more specific as I was not in my right mind at the time)
Trips: No, not my first one, one of the last indeed. 42 (often with several doses) - just mentioned to put in the context that I was aware at this point of the difference between outright hallucination and something real intruding.
Dose: 2 "Zippies" - supposedly an Acid / Base Speed combination. Probably just acid.

So, on with the story.
In a day that included many bizarre things (mostly cut to get to the point) we came across a bundle / pyramid / mound / ? of neatly assembled twigs - each about 3 foot long and 1 inch in diameter woven into a semi-circular dome. One of my companions had an unpleasant disposition towards pyromania when tripping and attempted to light it (side note - lots of flammable detritus on the ground).
A clear voice said "NO" (internally - on consideration rather than aurally) and we all passed out.
Upon coming around (10 or 15 minutes later - sorry, I really don't know) - we were all about 10 feet away from the pile of twigs, lying on our backs with legs and arms curled. Like a foetal position but on our backs. We were spaced circularly around the central pile of twigs. The lighter - a Zippo - was closer to the pile - about 5 feet away, stood up on itself with the lid closed. I mention this as significant as the last time I had seen it, it was in my pyromaniac friend's hand, open and alight.
We came around, checked each other were there, came to a consensus that we had done a "naughty thing" and then went off on our adventures.
Whatever, and as above, this does stand out as something that happened objectively and so I cast this out with that thought.

Personal note (and full of subjective biases therefore): I think we might have stumbled upon a "fairy" Shee (by which I would refer you to Vance's Thripsee Shee for the kind of thing that I mean. Fairies being not the type of Disney Tinkabell that springs to mind). If so, they treated us remarkably well - quite possibly because our state of mind at the time accorded well with theirs.

Last edited:
This is interesting. Shane Mauss recounts how he keeps meeting a purple woman in his DMT trips. His friend takes DMT and starts talking about a purple woman - and describes stuff that Shane has also seen, without Shane ever telling his friend beforehand.

I once had a magic mushroom experience when I was about 17 looking into the bathroom mirror and then all of these sharply defined different faces flashed back at me ... both male and female, my face was changing super fast .. re incarnation?, people I might become in the future? ..... or I was only just really really high.

Not a first hand account, so please move if another thread if it doesn't really fit here:

On two consecutive days this week I saw two different people who appeared to be tripping on something.

The first guy got onto a bridge in front of me. He looked like he was probably homeless, but not especially detached from conventional reality. Where the sidewalk of the bridge span met the sidewalk built on the ground, there was a kind of metal seam, about an inch wide. When this guy reached it, he stopped, and scrutinized it very intensely. He appeared to regard it as a deep chasm he had to carefully measure in order to safely get over. It was an inch wide. I figured he was having a psychotic break or something. Poor guy, it's hellishly stressful being homeless.

The next day I was out and saw a different guy very carefully navigating the sidewalk as if there was some treacherous aspect to it, like there were places that would collapse if he stepped on them. I couldn't tell what he was avoiding, but in a very exaggerated way he was avoiding some parts of the sidewalk. He looked like a mime, except he wasn't. At that point I didn't think the first guy was crazy, I just though both of them were on some sort of drugs that had just hit the streets.

Made me sad. :(

Not a first hand account, so please move if another thread if it doesn't really fit here:

On two consecutive days this week I saw two different people who appeared to be tripping on something.

The first guy got onto a bridge in front of me. He looked like he was probably homeless, but not especially detached from conventional reality. Where the sidewalk of the bridge span met the sidewalk built on the ground, there was a kind of metal seam, about an inch wide. When this guy reached it, he stopped, and scrutinized it very intensely. He appeared to regard it as a deep chasm he had to carefully measure in order to safely get over. It was an inch wide. I figured he was having a psychotic break or something. Poor guy, it's hellishly stressful being homeless.

The next day I was out and saw a different guy very carefully navigating the sidewalk as if there was some treacherous aspect to it, like there were places that would collapse if he stepped on them. I couldn't tell what he was avoiding, but in a very exaggerated way he was avoiding some parts of the sidewalk. He looked like a mime, except he wasn't. At that point I didn't think the first guy was crazy, I just though both of them were on some sort of drugs that had just hit the streets.

Made me sad. :(
Sounds like the sort of behaviour you get when high on 'spice' ive seen quite a few people completely whacked on it myself.

Back