• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Other Flat Earth threads: see my new post on Page 2.

Last edited:
Reply to Zilch5

Hi Zilch5 - In my view the view from an aircaft shows things the way they are - Space/light are all wrapped around the centre of Earths gravity. The flat surface of space around this cente of gravity has been formed into a globe. Its elesticty does not disrtract away from the point that it's a flat surface........?

Re: Reply to Zilch5

greywolfe said:
Hi Zilch5 - In my view the view from an aircaft shows things the way they are - Space/light are all wrapped around the centre of Earths gravity. The flat surface of space around this cente of gravity has been formed into a globe. Its elesticty does not disrtract away from the point that it's a flat surface........?

I won't pretend that I am understanding your point here - the surface has been formed into a globe? Well, yes...

Globe ............

It looks like a globe because the space has been warped to appear that way - In fact it is flat

At the risk of getting caught up in perhaps the most bonkers thread since Stonehenge Dentistry... if it is flat and only appears curved into a sphere, shouldn;t we still be able to fall off of the edge?

Re: Globe ............

greywolfe said:
It looks like a globe because the space has been warped to appear that way - In fact it is flat
To prove that statement, you need to produce something that is definitely curved (or flat) to act as a reference. But if your reference object was also warped, you'd prove nothing - ie, your statement is not even a tautology, but quite meaningless.

And where does the sun figure in the Flat Earth scenario (FES)?
Airlines, broadcasters, the military, etc, have multiple time zones to deal with every day. These are easy enough to understand in terms of a rotating spherical Earth, but make no sense at all on a Flat Earth.

How does the sun (or the Earth) move to create day and night in the FES? You can't explain it all by a vague concept like 'warping', without giving some mathematical definition of how this warping works.

And the sun itself looks round to us - and we can track its rotation by observing sunspots (as any amateur astronomer knows). So is the Sun really flat too? Is yet more 'warping' to be invoked to explain appearances?

So my answer to the OP's question is Yes!

Woof! Woof!

Fall off the edge reply

You can't fall off the edge because the warped "flat plain" is wrapped around so that it's edges join. It's like walking across a desert for months in a straight line and coming back to where you started. Could I refer readers back to my original post - the diagram there may assist ?

So it's flat, but warped round into a sphere. Tell us how this differs from it being a sphere.

It's a case of looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck, for every purpose it's a duck, but it's a cat. Ok, in what manner is it a cat? And why does this prove it's a cat?

I've often criticized the way some people use Occams razor, but used properly it can prune away superfluous 'entities' from a theory, and produce something simpler and clearer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ockham%27s_razor

Now, where did I put that leather strop? ;)

Re: Fall off the edge reply

greywolfe said:
Could I refer readers back to my original post - the diagram there may assist ?

Well, it really doesn't - it makes no sense at all to me - sorry.

Looking at Youtube, I have noticed that there seems to be a resurgence of interest and belief in the flat earth idea.
I'm a little puzzled by this, as we have the evidence staring us in the face - yet there is an increasing number of people who persist in these beliefs.
Any explanation for this? Has 'new evidence' emerged that supports this wild idea?

More like a new rejection of science and proven fact. Nobody believing what the powers that be tell them anymore seems to be the way things are going.

The flat earth theory (fet) is total bollox.

Magellan's expedition sailed around the Earth (though he himself didn't survive the voyage). Drake sailed around the world and survived.

Since then, there have been numerous circumnavigations, by all kinds of vessels, and more recently by various types of aircraft, commercial and experimental. And then there are all the satellites, manned and unmanned, that whizz around the Earth every 90 minutes (or longer).

There is not one single fact that can be explained by a fet that cannot be explained better by modern science.

Not to mention photos & film taken from space, ISS etc. Unless they're all faked.

Sunset at 38,000 feet, indicating curvature

IMG_9277.jpg

Looking at Youtube, I have noticed that there seems to be a resurgence of interest and belief in the flat earth idea.
I'm a little puzzled by this, as we have the evidence staring us in the face - yet there is an increasing number of people who persist in these beliefs.
Any explanation for this? Has 'new evidence' emerged that supports this wild idea?
The point many flat earth people are making is that The Bible implies in some texts that the earth is flat with such phrases as "the four corners of the earth, the foundations of the earth and the ever popular, how could Satan have shown Jesus all the kingdoms of the earth from a mountain if the earth were curved.

Maybe this is how alternate universes work... the Earth is flat, but joined at the edges. Therefore, if you start at a given point and travel 24000-odd miles in any given direction, you don't end up where you started, but at the analogue of your starting position on Earth+1. Because adjacent/parallel Earths differ only slightly, you would only notice a big difference if you travelled around the "globe" many times in the same direction. The truth is hidden in atlases, disguised as merely a convenient fiction - we are living on a map projection, possibly the Waterman Butterfly, though other candidates do present themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterman_butterfly_projection

The point many flat earth people are making is that The Bible implies in some texts that the earth is flat with such phrases as "the four corners of the earth, the foundations of the earth and the ever popular, how could Satan have shown Jesus all the kingdoms of the earth from a mountain if the earth were curved.
That point of view appears to be based on the premise that the Bible is 100% correct, and has nothing to do with scientific observation.

The sphere cluster sounds very interesting. How about disconnected spheres floating in a cosmic ocean, each sphere containing a solar system similar to ours.

That point of view appears to be based on the premise that the Bible is 100% correct, and has nothing to do with scientific observation.
These evangelicals will state that modern science is the tool of the "guess who" and a bunch of lies to deceive the faithful. Now there are others whose approach is more scientific, however they never can answer why all modern societies that have the technology to prove the flat earth would agree to lie about it and such things as the moon landing. And of course for the Theists the answer is Satan is the lord of this world and governments will obey.

There's a few threads on Flat Earth theories, however this felt the most relevant to resurrect. I seriously didn't believe this was still a 'thing', however the following articles in todays Guardian have been a bit of an eye opener:

'I didn't wanna believe it either': Rapper BoB insists the Earth is flat
Musician argues on Twitter that while some may be put off by the term ‘flat Earth’, ‘there’s no way u can see all the evidence and not know’
http://www.theguardian.com/music/20...t-earth-twitter?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Facebook

Flat-Earthers are back: 'It’s almost like the beginning of a new religion'
YouTube videos and spiffy websites espouse the conspiracy theory – but is the movement doomed to once again fall flat over countless schisms?
http://www.theguardian.com/science/...believers-youtube-videos-conspiracy-theorists

I've always loved reading the hollow earth theories but some of these flat earth videos are batshit crazy (yes, I did unfortunately venture into youtube territory). Any thoughts as to why this seems to be gaining credence again now?

Last edited:
I think there are several reasons. One is that a 'flat' earth provides a kind of order and certainty in an uncertain world, it also buttresses against the increasing awareness of just how mindbogglingly big the universe is and how small earth and we each are in comparison.

Any thoughts as to why this seems to be gaining credence again now?
I think it makes some people feel important to believe something that 95% (?) of the rest of us don't believe. It makes them feel special, or privileged, and they feel like pioneers is revealing how the world really is. "Some day, everyone will see I was right!"

Quite sad, really. Just hope that none of them get jobs as navigators, astronauts, meteorologists or airline pilots... :rolleyes:

There's a few threads on Flat Earth theories, however this felt the most relevant to resurrect. I seriously didn't believe this was still a 'thing', however the following articles in todays Guardian have been a bit of an eye opener:

'I didn't wanna believe it either': Rapper BoB insists the Earth is flat
Musician argues on Twitter that while some may be put off by the term ‘flat Earth’, ‘there’s no way u can see all the evidence and not know’
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/25/bob-rapper-flat-earth-twitter?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Facebook

Flat-Earthers are back: 'It’s almost like the beginning of a new religion'
YouTube videos and spiffy websites espouse the conspiracy theory – but is the movement doomed to once again fall flat over countless schisms?
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/20/flat-earth-believers-youtube-videos-conspiracy-theorists

I've always loved reading the hollow earth theories but some of these flat earth videos are batshit crazy (yes, I did unfortunately venture into youtube territory). Any thoughts as to why this seems to be gaining credence again now?

Thanks for bringing it up, Mr_Nic, I was about to do so myself. The flat earthers have been everywhere lately, and aggressive, too. i've been wondering what tne heck's been going on. The magazine my husband works for has also been bothered by them recently. Granted, they get all kinds of weirdness there, but this is unique. These particular flat-earthers seem to have a religious bent, too.

A while back Tila Tequila was ranting about her flat earth beliefs on twitter (I hate that I know that. :rolleyes:)

It seems many conspiracy theorists are more agitated lately. Wonder what's stirring them up?

These particular flat-earthers seem to have a religious bent, too.

Yep, I saw that a lot of the comments on the various youtube videos seemed to be very evangelical christian. Lots of talk of the holy ghost and of course, anyone against them is under satanic influence (and loves Obama, who's obviously hiding the truth about the flat earth).

Back