• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Opinions vary Sharon.

I think that anyone who allows the general public to think that they are blasting of, to a height of 500 metres, in a steam powered rocket, to verify that the Earth is flat, is a nong.

I also see a man who was doing very questionable stuff for all the wrong reasons who finally went too far. (No pun intended.)
Is a nong the same thing as being 'a bit of a cock'? .. I've not heard of a nong before ..

Opinions vary Sharon.

I think that anyone who allows the general public to think that they are blasting of, to a height of 500 metres, in a steam powered rocket, to verify that the Earth is flat, is a nong.

I also see a man who was doing very questionable stuff for all the wrong reasons who finally went too far. (No pun intended.)
In no way, shape, or form do I have a favorable opinion of Mr. Mad Mike. He certainly was a nong. My objection was to the Darwin Awards concept which is nearly, but not quite, as dumb.

I beg to differ. Evolution by natural selection can indeed include individuals who take themselves out of the gene pool thru stupid acts. Given that humanity is supposed to have risen above other competing species due to our intelligence, it is pertinent indeed to see individuals who don't use that native ability weeding themselves out.

As to what Darwin would find funny, given he was an avid hunter and had a fondness for character driven comedy, I think you are wrong about him hating the idea, given that a good many of the Darwin awards are about American "characters" having bizarre hunting accidents.

Are you kidding me? You wouldn't have given two shakes of a fetid dingo's kidney for most of the winners when they were alive, and likely would have crossed the street to avoid them, out of sheer fear. However, now they are dead, you want to pretend you are all compassionate? Pure cancel culture virtue signalling, and humorless to boot.

Again, you are misinterpreting and assuming WAY too much with no basis for your obnoxious accusations. I hope you don't talk like this to people in real life.

For a short time I helped with the Darwin Day website and edited a collection on it.
Feel free to read my thoughts about the Darwin Awards in full. But I don't care a whit what you think, AlchoPwn.

[Edit: I've discovered the Mute user option and will be using it. Enough of this shit.]

Last edited:
At least he earned him self an Darwin Award for his stupidity in trying proof the earth is flat.

:headbang: Lost. Cause.

bd6.png

Possibly a worthy tangent: Hughes was being filmed by the Science Channel for a show called Homemade Astronauts.

Hughes used scientific knowledge to build his devices and yet ignored basic tenets in order to garner attention for himself. Shame on the Discovery Channel (parent co.) and the flat earth community for promoting this idiocy. It reached the ultimate denouement. I'd bet they cash in on it. Sickening.
I don't know about the flat earth community itself, but the debunking community seem mostly to be keeping a respectful distance from the event. They're current project is Nathan Thompson, who got himself arrested for standing at a school fence calling children over so he could hand them flat earth flyers and "flat smack" them. Inappropriate behaviour of which he's inordinately proud.

Are there statistics anywhere that show the percentage of stupid people in the world? I bet it's pretty high and possibly broke whatever method they used to calculate it.

Are there statistics anywhere that show the percentage of stupid people in the world? I bet it's pretty high and possibly broke whatever method they used to calculate it.
Compiling those stats would be very difficult. There's a whole lobby of people opposed to the idea.

During my enforced leisure time these last few months, my YouTube watching has increased somewhat, and I've come across the work of, amongst others, SciManDan, a fairly laid-back guy who tries to contain his frustration with the nuttier end of the conspiracy industry, whose videos he reviews.

He does a piece called "Flat-Earth Fridays", and it's amazing quite what a range of nonsense, and indeed non-science, is believed by these folks. Some are religious extremists (one such had a proof of Flat-Earth knowledge given to him in a vision), others are just very bad at physics. Either way, I'm left wondering just how so many people seem happy to turn their backs on centuries, millennia even, of knowledge and discovery.

During my enforced leisure time these last few months, my YouTube watching has increased somewhat, and I've come across the work of, amongst others, SciManDan, a fairly laid-back guy who tries to contain his frustration with the nuttier end of the conspiracy industry, whose videos he reviews.

He does a piece called "Flat-Earth Fridays", and it's amazing quite what a range of nonsense, and indeed non-science, is believed by these folks. Some are religious extremists (one such had a proof of Flat-Earth knowledge given to him in a vision), others are just very bad at physics. Either way, I'm left wondering just how so many people seem happy to turn their backs on centuries, millennia even, of knowledge and discovery.
Flat Earth? Go out at night - after a bit of rain, and you'll find worm holes all over it!

Flat Earth? Go out at night - after a bit of rain, and you'll find worm holes all over it!
The Nobel Committee has short-listed you for Physics in 2021. Insiders say this is a critical breakthru. Enjoy your trip to Oslo Sid.

The Nobel Committee has short-listed you for Physics in 2021. Insiders say this is a critical breakthru. Enjoy your trip to Oslo Sid.
Ah... shucks, thanks' fella's, don't know what to say... but, how about, "is my trip to Oslo a return, or one way?"

I still find myself fascinated by the whole Flat Earth phenomenon and have been listening to a podcast recently called The Flat Earth Podcast. It is presented by two men. They are articulate and the whole thing is well produced and put together. But I am astonished by the mental gymnastics they have to perform in order to believe what they do. There are some very fundamental misunderstandings of pretty much everything. One episode had them denying that solar eclipses can happen the way they do if the Earth is a globe. Now to their credit they did correct this in the next episode - but then dismissed it again due to it being, and I quote "too complicated".

In another episode, one of the presenters explained how he realised that tides cannot work the way we are told they do as he went to the beach one evening and saw how the tide receded as the sun set, thereby proving that they are pulled directly by the sun and not mostly by the moon after all. Now the other did point out that the tides change every day but it illustrated how these things happen. Someone sits down and thinks "hey, why don't Australians fall off?" and it goes from there.

Terrifyingly, one them keeps encouraging people to stare directly at the sun during the next solar eclipse, declaring that he is going to do the same. The rationale? Older cultures such as the Mayans etc knew all about solar eclipses so they must have been looking at the sun. They weren't all blind, therefore looking at the sun cannot cause blindness. :freak:

Here is another silly misunderstanding - they discuss and dismiss the oblate spheroid thing (the Earth is some 13 miles wider round the equator than it is pole to pole.)

Why do they dismiss it? Because the idea that there is a ridge 13 miles high around the equator is absurd. You mean you wouldn't notice that the aircraft you were flying in didn't suddenly leap up 13 miles into the air crossing the equator? Haha. Etc.

This is a misunderstanding so fundamental that where do you even start with it?

But I guess if you say to enough people that "they" tell us that there is a 13 mile high ridge at the equator and how silly that is, you will eventally find someone that thinks "hey yes you are right, that is silly!" And it goes on from there.

Here is another silly misunderstanding - they discuss and dismiss the oblate spheroid thing (the Earth is some 13 miles wider round the equator than it is pole to pole.)

Why do they dismiss it? Because the idea that there is a ridge 13 miles high around the equator is absurd. You mean you wouldn't notice that the aircraft you were flying in didn't suddenly leap up 13 miles into the air crossing the equator? Haha. Etc.

This is a misunderstanding so fundamental that where do you even start with it?

But I guess if you say to enough people that "they" tell us that there is a 13 mile high ridge at the equator and how silly that is, you will eventally find someone that thinks "hey yes you are right, that is silly!" And it goes on from there.
Well I've flown over / walked over the equator and I certainly would have noticed a 13 mile high ridge, so they must be right. Thank you for opening my eyes Min!

I've possibly got slightly more tolerance for the Flat Earthers who approach their beliefs from a religious standpoint. They interpret the Bible as saying that the Earth is flat, so it becomes a tenet of faith. I disagree with them, of course, but they're not looking for evidence, because they believe.

More annoying are the "conspiracy" Flat Earthers. In a search to validate their own lives, they conjure up a situation where they're boldly exposing NASA and the forces of "Big Globe", either wilfully or unintentionally misinterpreting reams of proper scientific evidence. I've never quite understood just why, in their view, NASA are trying to fool us "sheeple" into believing the globe.

I've possibly got slightly more tolerance for the Flat Earthers who approach their beliefs from a religious standpoint. They interpret the Bible as saying that the Earth is flat, so it becomes a tenet of faith. I disagree with them, of course, but they're not looking for evidence, because they believe.

More annoying are the "conspiracy" Flat Earthers. In a search to validate their own lives, they conjure up a situation where they're boldly exposing NASA and the forces of "Big Globe", either wilfully or unintentionally misinterpreting reams of proper scientific evidence. I've never quite understood just why, in their view, NASA are trying to fool us "sheeple" into believing the globe.
Its all about CONTROL apparently. I had a chat with a flat earther and as soon as I mentioned NASA it was - you can't believe anything they say! And as to why governments were colluding to keep this a secret - - its all about controlling the sheeple. Why they need to fan the flames of this fairy tale to control people I don't know.

Because having NASA get kids into STEM instead of useful things like art and business studies is bad of course.

We should discuss this because its Forteana; like we discuss a lot of very Whoo! things...yet, how can we do it in a way that doesn't encourage it?

Because having NASA get kids into STEM instead of useful things like art and business studies is bad of course.

We should discuss this because its Forteana; like we discuss a lot of very Whoo! things...yet, how can we do it in a way that doesn't encourage it?
I am not sure how discussing it here encourages it? Why, are you tempted to start believing by some of the things I wrote above? :omg:

(Kidding!)

Back