• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tales Of A Flat Earth

I wonder if anyone who considers the earth to be flat, do they also consider the moon, sun and planets to be flat?

Kind of awkward to explain why the earth is an exception to that rule.

Last edited:
If so, would it be possible to climb over the edge and stand on the other side?
No, because the Flat-Earth transform world is infinite, therefore has no edge. Like the real world, in fact.
You could go through I suppose, but that would presumably need some sort of wormhole.

If you can't fall of the edge, it ain't flat, surely? :rolleyes:

Just in case you think my transform world idea is papo-forado (it mostly is, of course, but it has a kernel of truth), take a look at this animation of a journey through a wormhole. The simulation shows three cubes, one yellow, one orange-red, and one blue; these three cubes are nested inside each other,, but the yellow one is outermost on one side of the hole, while the blue one is outermost on the other side. I am particularly interested in the condition of the orange-red cube, which turns itself inside-out as you pass through the 'hole.

Note that the orange cube becomes an infinite flat plane just as you pass through the wormhole throat. The animation helpfully hovers just outside the cube, to show what the world looks like from that vantage point. It looks, in fact, very much like the view from an aircraft just above our world. Imagine if all the rest of the universe were transformed into locations above that flat plane; what we would see would be exactly the same as what we see now, but we would be located above a flat imaginary worldplane inside the curved space-time metric. I expect there are billions, perhaps an infinite number, of other kinds of transforms you could do to the metric that would result in the same effect; but they have no useful application so far as I know.

Is that what is called a hypercube?

No, because the Flat-Earth transform world is infinite, therefore has no edge. Like the real world, in fact.
You could go through I suppose, but that would presumably need some sort of wormhole.
So this flat earth metric is exactly like a sphere, with no edge etc how do we know that what we call spheres are not these metrics? Ping pong balls and such? Maybe in practical terms, in the real universe, what an infinity looks like is a sphere? So we can play Ping Pong with it :)

I've not looked into the arguments for the flat earth as I suppose I instantly dismissed it as bollocks at an early age. Possibly because I owned a football so I knew spheres could exist.
What do flat earthers make of Saturn? That has 'flat' rings in contrast to the globe of the planet they surround.

I just want to know why none of these flat-earthers journey to the edge with a film crew. Of all the conspiracies, this should be an easy one to prove.

So as usual, Columbus getting all the credit for going where the Vikings had already been, centuries earlier.

CyLInFo.jpg

From what I've read, the circumference of the flat Earth is ringed by a vast unsurmountable wall of ice. So there's no danger of falling off the edge.

From what I've read, the circumference of the flat Earth is ringed by a vast unsurmountable wall of ice. So there's no danger of falling off the edge.
It would have to be to keep all the water in. But that means the conspiracy to hide the Earth's flatnass must extend back to the first explorers, really, who went into the southern hemisphere, since they would have expected lines of longitude to begin to converge as they approached the southern regions, rather than continue to fan out. Does the flat Earth theory portray the landmasses in the souther hemisphere as much bigger than they are usually represented as being? Or does it simply suggest the distances are far greater between them? Either way, it would be tricky to cover those things up.

Global warming will melt that ice!

I suspect the kind of people who believe the Earth is flat are likely to also be climate change deniers.

Where do the clouds go anyway?

Tina Tequila would know: When people are like, "They're watching you!"- I'm like, "Bitch! I watched them first!"

In all seriousness, if anyone knows the flat earther playbook, how do they explain the fact that the sun rises at different times in different places? Or that it's daytime in Australia when it's nighttime in the US? I'm not mocking them, I actually like the eccentricity of people who are at odds with consensual reality, I'm just curious as to how they rationalize that.

As I understand it, there's a lot more to being a flat Earther than believing the Earth is flat.

You are also required to believe that the Sun is a small molten sphere that orbits around the Earth. Thus at any one time, some parts of the Earth will be illuminated and some will not.

You also must be a gravity sceptic. There is no such thing as gravity. We are only pressed to the Earth's surface because the Earth is forever rushing upwards at a frightful rate.

It's all rather Baroque.

Why do people believe Earth is flat in the 21st century?
Those who distrust received wisdom are following the traditions of the Enlightenment, says psychologist Rob Brotherton

Last week the rapper B.o.B claimed that the Earth is flat. Are you surprised that this idea is still being touted in the 21st century?

I was surprised and delighted: I love hip hop and conspiracy theories, and this combines both. The psychology that underlies this kind of thinking is fascinating, but I never thought flat Earth theory would get much attention.

It seems a surprising idea to get behind, when the evidence from space photos and other things seems incontrovertible…

The belief that Earth isn’t spherical is one of those things that, at first glance, is easy to write off. But when you look closer, it entails complex arguments about how gravity exists if Earth is a flat disc, and how there must be a conspiracy by NASA or other authorities to hide the fact that Earth is flat.

What leads people to believe in conspiracies?

It is reasonable to think that conspiracies occur, because sometimes they do. Belief in conspiracy theories shouldn’t be seen as a strange quirk that few people have. Surveys show that many people in the US believe that there was some kind of conspiracy behind the 9/11 attacks, or at least that the US government is not telling the whole story. Our brains also have cognitive biases that make us prone to seeing conspiracies, real or imagined. ...

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-is-flat-in-the-21st-century/?utm_source=NSNS

Free registration required to read full article.

Of course, living upon a flat Earth is impossible. Completely and utterly. Based upon science, and our modern-day conventional official view.

However...the following set of impossible information is fascinating. I've seen much of it before, but this is a good (contestably-flawed) summary. Read it with an open mind (as, of course, you will), and remember: always doubt everything.

http://aetherforce.com/isnt-it-strange-that/

(see link above)

Last edited:
Of course, living upon a flat Earth is impossible. Completely and utterly. Based upon science, and our modern-day conventional official view.

However...the following set of impossible information is fascinating. I've seen much of it before, but this is a good (contestably-flawed) summary. Read it with an open mind (as, of course, you will), and remember: always doubt everything.

http://aetherforce.com/isnt-it-strange-that/

As someone who is well-read in the ways of science, that list makes me want to sigh and go get another fish finger sandwich.

Back