• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tales Of A Flat Earth

To them, the Earth is like a tortilla.

Like this? Baffling.
folded-tortilla-filled-with-chicken-guacamole-and-cheese-picture-id596033320

Banners and graffiti were left by the pond in Crystal Palace Park on Sunday (September 2) morning.

“Earth is not a magical spinning ball with bendy water. Gravity has never been proven.”

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/16684933.display/

(Nobody drop bricks on their toes to prove gravity, no matter how tempting)

Is common sense something we acquire, or is it part of our birthgift?

Either way - observing parts of humanity at their best convinces me that it is in short supply.

Why would the moon be round, the sun be round, our closest neighbourhood planets be round - our natural cycles be cyclical...but our planet take on the dimensions of a plate - which, in its self, has a round aspect to it.

Why not a square plate shape? Didn't they think that far?

wp2188822.jpg

Every time I see this thread pop up on the forum overview I read it as

"Tales of a Fiat Earth".

And then picture some kind of nightmare vision of a world ruled over by rusty old Fiat Unos and aggressive 70s Fiat 128s...

I'll pass on the Uno but I'm rather fond of the old 128 Abarth!

11tvmf8.jpg

One of the things I find most amusing about the Flat Earthers is their complete inability to agree on which Flat Earth they believe in. This crucial failure in doctrine will not stand them well going forwards.

For example, one of the models suggests that the world is composed in a Mercator Projection, where the Arctic is the center of the world and the Antarctic is the edge. The Antarctic (you see) has mountains (The obvious name for which are the "Mountains of Madness"), and they allegedly form a ring that keeps the water from running out.

Then there are the people who believe the Sky has a dome, as is implied in the Bible. Of course Psalm 104:5 says the Earth will never be moved, so how could that be wrong?

Then there are the people who regard Earth and its oceans as being part of one infinite continuum of land and sea, some of whom accept the Mountains of Madness and some who don't.

Then there are those who accept the Hindu "Disk on elephants on a turtle" model. It's turtles all the way down.

When will these heresies reconcile or split forever?

Is common sense something we acquire, or is it part of our birthgift?

Either way - observing parts of humanity at their best convinces me that it is in short supply.

Why would the moon be round, the sun be round, our closest neighbourhood planets be round - our natural cycles be cyclical...but our planet take on the dimensions of a plate - which, in its self, has a round aspect to it.

Why not a square plate shape? Didn't they think that far?

wp2188822.jpg
If you look really really closely at the top of the mountain at the front edge, the one with the flattish top, you can see Kin Arad smirking at you.

Recently visited the Flat Earth shop in Inverness. Bought a book turns out it’s a reprint of a book from 1875, I’ll be honest I was looking for something more up to date. The owner(?) is there to discuss with you, no hard sell of the merchandise but we spent up to an hour there talking to him. I don’t know how representative of the movement as a whole he is but it did seem to be if you had a conspiracy theory going he was buying into it. A lot of his claims I recognised from Icke. I intend to return. As to different flavours of Flat Earthism I noticed the material they were selling was not always internally consistent...

I was just about to post on this! Yes the man is very nice and willing to chat for some time about the theory. I found my brain is too small and inadequate to be able to perform the type of mental gymnastics required... Yes, that must be it.

I bought the more up to date book by Eric Dubay so can report back once I have gone through it. I was very tempted to buy one of the mugs and use it at work!

I am very curious as to what is behind this recent revival. :tfoil:

He’s a true believer so actual facts may not help! Anything from NASA is of course not valid so that causes an instant problem. It is however interesting to hear their arguments. It didn’t come up but I suspect he may be a Young Earth Creationist as well.

How do flat-Earthers ever pass geography exams ?

INT21.

One of the things I find most amusing about the Flat Earthers is their complete inability to agree on which Flat Earth they believe in. This crucial failure in doctrine will not stand them well going forwards.

For example, one of the models suggests that the world is composed in a Mercator Projection, where the Arctic is the center of the world and the Antarctic is the edge. The Antarctic (you see) has mountains (The obvious name for which are the "Mountains of Madness"), and they allegedly form a ring that keeps the water from running out.

Then there are the people who believe the Sky has a dome, as is implied in the Bible. Of course Psalm 104:5 says the Earth will never be moved, so how could that be wrong?

Then there are the people who regard Earth and its oceans as being part of one infinite continuum of land and sea, some of whom accept the Mountains of Madness and some who don't.
Amusing post. I like the reference to the Mountains of Madness — particularly apposite as flat Earthers clearly don't have a Cthlue about what's really going on.

However, I would not be my annoyingly analytical self if I did not point out two things from your opening paragraph.

1) There is no logical reason why people who disagree with the globe hypothesis should agree about on an alternative. If we set aside that the globe hypothesis is proven, and apply the principle to something as yet unproven: people who reject the idea that the Loch Ness monster is a relict plesiosaur can still disagree about whether sightings are explained by unusual waves, hoaxes, a large species of eel, seals, etc. etc.

2) Flat Earth belief is a sort of cult. Cults thrive on being marginalised minorities and it is in the nature of cults that they divide and fragment. If there are enough small pools, everyone can be the big fish.

Looking at that leaflet, it is hard to believe that some people actually believe any of the arguments presented on it.

Would anyone want to work alongside someone who's reasoning was so flawed ?

INT21.

Page one of four, the others are similar. One of the books we got is internally inconsistent. The power of being a True Believer.

Back