• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tales Of A Flat Earth

No, the RNLI turned down my application when I said I wanted to commandeer their ships to search for R'lyeh and raise Cthulhu, the Navy to a similar tack. I am suing both for Religious Discrimination.
I liked your idea of 'phat' bass speakers and blue neon strips around the lifeboat though, they missed a trick there.

How do flat Earthers explain gravity ?

They think "grabbity" (or "droppity", lol) is an unproven "pseudoscience", and TRY (unsuccessfully) to replace it with either/both "bouyancy" or "density". Except, in physics, neither bouyancy or density have a direction/"vector"without gravity, and "bouyancy" actually depends on gravity in the formula that defines it.

They have a whole, complex take on formal science, where they claim they're the only people following "real" scientific method, and that scientific fields that are mostly observational, rather than experimental (eg astronomy, seismology, geology) aren't "real science" at all. They borrow heavily from hardcore Young Earth Creationists ("evolution isn't real science, because all you can tell from fossils is that something died") with this stuff, but dial it all up to eleven. Also a fair bit of "zetetic" philosophy, where you can only trust what you personally witness- So 100% of scientific knowledge and precedent is useless.

It's such a bizarre mindset- weirdly fascinating, in a "car crash", "can't look away" kind of way. In terms of conspiracy groups, I never saw another group re-define fundamental reality so thoroughly as these guys, and it really seems to be building steam right now.

I watched the film on Netfix about Flatearthers. I find them harmless enough and each to their own. The only problem I had with he film,is when at a conference ,there was kids there who were believing what these people were telling them. They claimed to disagree with their teachers in school when they were taught that the Earth is a globe.These kids will be marked out as weirdos by their peers because of their parents beliefs. This could also be said of kids in certain religions, but we can prove the Earth is round.The programme also showed that the experiments the Flaearthers tried only reinforced the opposite of their beliefs.

lcdNanVl.jpg

So, what happens to ships? Do they just drop off of the end, never to be seen again, with, probably, millions of people dying
In the flat earth 'model', Antarctica is a real continent as such, but a wall of ice going around the whole world, sort of keeping the water in I suppose. To prevent anyone finding this out, everyone is prevented from going to Antarctica but... someone. And those people who claim to have been there are lying or something. That's nothing compared to the contrived way they explain the sun, which is only a few thousand miles away, and circles above the Earth giving out directional light in their model. Well it has to, of course, or there wouldn't be night time or seasons.

A wall of ice ?

And when this wall melts due to the warming of the ocean does all the oceans water pour off over the edge ?

INT21.

An item elseweb reminded me:
On railway bridge, over the road between Bankfoot and Birnam in Perthshire, there was for many years, at least 30, a graffito reading "Free Scotland", and more recently has acquired other graffiti including "The Earth is Flat". Three weeks ago driving South from Pitlochry on the A9, near Ballinluig, I noticed that "The Earth is Flat", had been sprayed in black across the back of a road sign. Monday two weeks ago, driving up from Birnam towards Edinburgh on the M90, just before Loch Leven, "The Earth is Flat" was scrawled across the back of another road sign - it looked as though it might have been by the same hand.

Yesterday evening coming up the A1 from the M25, near Stevenage, I spotted "The Earth is Flat" sprayed, in black across the back of another road sign...

An item elseweb reminded me:
On railway bridge, over the road between Bankfoot and Birnam in Perthshire, there was for many years, at least 30, a graffito reading "Free Scotland", and more recently has acquired other graffiti including "The Earth is Flat". Three weeks ago driving South from Pitlochry on the A9, near Ballinluig, I noticed that "The Earth is Flat", had been sprayed in black across the back of a road sign. Monday two weeks ago, driving up from Birnam towards Edinburgh on the M90, just before Loch Leven, "The Earth is Flat" was scrawled across the back of another road sign - it looked as though it might have been by the same hand.

Yesterday evening coming up the A1 from the M25, near Stevenage, I spotted "The Earth is Flat" sprayed, in black across the back of another road sign...
It's all the way up the A9 past Inverness apparently!{My mother retired to the Highlands from Brighton}

Oh, I'll have to keep a lookout for that.

Whilst googling "flat earth images" (for a laugh, as you do) I came across an image from a website called... wait for it... flatearthfacts.

Because yes, people, there are genuine facts that the earth is flat, don't-cha-know.

For the sake of hilarity I shall include the link to said image as I wouldn't want to be selfish and not share with the rest of the class.

https://flatearthfacts.com/globe-ea...h-problems/fake-nasa-earth-from-space-photos/

The funniest thing I found on that page was not the photo itself, but this esteemed comment:
I get your point, and the 2012 one isn’t real, but there was no photoshop in 1978. So why do you still beleive in the flat earth again? I know earth didn’t majicaly turn into a disc. Explain the phisics of that.

Yes. Quite. Because as we all know it is not possible to fake photographs that were taken before photoshop was invented. Of course. Well done.

:wacky:

The funny thing from my perspective is that I've been aware of Sean Connors for years as I've been one of the few thousand subscribers to his channel about roleplaying. He was always very earnest and came across as genuinely bright, but I suspect he's probably gone a bit mental in the couple of years since he stopped regularly uploading.

My first reaction was that he must be pranking them, but I can't really find anything more online about his conversion.

Speaking of Sean Connors, here is his presentation at last year's Flat Earth Conference:

There's quite a lot that is not really about 'Flat Earth' at all--it's mostly generic conspiracy.

He is also a local councillor in Daventry, but I won't mention which party!

Back