• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tales Of A Flat Earth

There's a superb story by Kipling called "The Village that Voted that the Earth was Flat." He wrote a theme song (lyrics) that accompanies it. When he wanted to be funny he was very funny. Recommend it.

But why follow such ideas?

It always used to be `Flat earther` was shorthand for proverbally ignorant/stupid

Who would want to associate themselves with that?

But why follow such ideas?

It always used to be `Flat earther` was shorthand for proverbally ignorant/stupid

Who would want to associate themselves with that?
I think it makes them feel special, that they have this amazing knowledge that most sheeple don't even think about. It gives them a sense of authority and control. That's my guess anyway.

I think it makes them feel special, that they have this amazing knowledge that most sheeple don't even think about. It gives them a sense of authority and control. That's my guess anyway.

Yes, I think that's it. These often not very intelligent people find a kind of validation in being able to "see though" the stuff they've been taught (indoctrinated, they'd say), and have managed to "discover" whole new areas of knowledge. It's a way of taking back some power from a world that doesn't care, I think.

It's hilarious, but rather sad at the same time, to hear them dismiss gravity, and invoke "density and buoyancy" to explain the world. I've never heard one yet, though, who could explain what makes "up" and "down", in the absence of gravity.

Last edited:
Yes, I think that's it. These often not very intelligent people find a kind of validation in being able to "see though" the stuff they've been taught (indoctrinated, they'd say), and have managed to "discover" whole new areas of knowledge. It's a way of taking back some power from a world that doesn't care, I think.

It's hilarious, but rather sad at the same time, to hear them dismiss gravity, and invoke "density and buoyancy" to explain the world. I've never heard one yet, though, who could explain what makes "up" and "down", in the absence of gravity.
You've described religious believers perfectly, even in the face of scientific evidence, they will keep finding hidden clauses to justify their belief...

You've described religious believers perfectly, even in the face of scientific evidence, they will keep finding hidden clauses to justify their belief...
Your avatar looks a little bit like Kenny Loggins dream_decoder, not that that has anything to do with anything, I just thought you should know.

It's Austin Osman Spare.
Thanks, I've just looked at his art and you've taught me something new. :) .. he still looks/looked like a perturbed Kenny Logins though to me .. which isn't a bad thing ..

aKenny-Loggins-SXM.jpg

All i can say on this matter is something i find my self saying a lot to people with fundamentalust opinions, and that is 'you cant argue with stupid', no matter what, how much or how good your evidence is ti counter their argument, the stick their fingers in their ears and go 'la la la, im right you're wrong so shut up', so in my experience, there is no, i stress, no point in trying to argue with these people, it an excersize in futility.

But these people didnt exist in the recent past? (or did they?)

Or do they just have more of a voice now?

But these people didnt exist in the recent past? (or did they?)

Or do they just have more of a voice now?
They existed, but the internet means their message reaches a wider audience...

If that is so....

...it means that their message bears meaning to some people.

Otherwise it would be ignored.

All i can say on this matter is something i find my self saying a lot to people with fundamentalust opinions, and that is 'you cant argue with stupid', no matter what, how much or how good your evidence is ti counter their argument, the stick their fingers in their ears and go 'la la la, im right you're wrong so shut up', so in my experience, there is no, i stress, no point in trying to argue with these people, it an excersize in futility.
We have many words with overlapping meanings: stupid, unintelligent, moronic, slow, dense, etc. However, they do not all mean exactly the same thing.

I would never mock or criticise someone for lacking intelligence, any more than I would want to be mocked for lacking height or good looks.

However, I tend to use the word "stupid" to describe someone whose inability understand something is wilful: it suits them not to understand, so they don't.

Many years ago, I was the team leader of such a person. At the time, she was into her 40s, she had high level professional qualifications, was a householder/home owner, and was completely competent to live a normal life. However, she absolutely refused/failed to understand some very clear and simple standing instructions about the way we handled an important aspect of the job.

I had cause to speak to her about it one day and she literally put her fingers in her ears and started chanting "Not listening, not listening, not listening..." It was quite alarming.

Genuinely, you cannot argue with such people.

We have many words with overlapping meanings: stupid, unintelligent, moronic, slow, dense, etc. However, they do not all mean exactly the same thing.

I would never mock or criticise someone for lacking intelligence, any more than I would want to be mocked for lacking height or good looks.

However, I tend to use the word "stupid" to describe someone whose inability understand something is wilful: it suits them not to understand, so they don't.

Many years ago, I was the team leader of such a person. At the time, she was into her 40s, she had high level professional qualifications, was a householder/home owner, and was completely competent to live a normal life. However, she absolutely refused/failed to understand some very clear and simple standing instructions about the way we handled an important aspect of the job.

I had cause to speak to her about it one day and she literally put her fingers in her ears and started chanting "Not listening, not listening, not listening..." It was quite alarming.

Genuinely, you cannot argue with such people.
Like i said haha

Where does Icke stand on the flat earth scenario - does he have an opinion? I seem to remember he's put forward the idea that the moon is artificially made & hollow, & he's my guide on such things.

Conspiracies: not just goofy and fun.

At what point can you remove people because they are so incapacitated that they can't do their job. This is psychosis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/01/wisconsin-pharmacist-vaccine-flatearth/

When a pharmacist discovered 57 vials of the Moderna vaccine left to spoil outside a Wisconsin clinic’s refrigerator in December, the worker immediately suspected a colleague who had spread false and outlandish claims, according to court records.
For months, Steven Brandenburg, the overnight pharmacist at Aurora Medical Center in Grafton, Wis., had said he thought the vaccine would harm people, make them infertile, and implant them with microchips.
Now, federal authorities say belief in debunked claims went beyond the vaccine. The pharmacist, who has agreed to plead guilty to charges of attempting trying to spoil the vaccine, also believes the Earth is flat and that the sky is not real, according to court documents.
[...]In another interview with authorities, Sticker said Brandenburg sent her text messages promoting false beliefs he supported, including that the sky was not really the sky but a “shield put up by the government to prevent individuals from seeing God,” court records show.

Two questions: how on Earth did that guy become a pharmacist? And WHY on Earth did that guy become a pharmacist?!
I've known a couple of strange characters who were pharmacists. One was a compulsive liar and the other refused to give out the morning after pill because of his (Christian) beliefs.

I've known a couple of strange characters who were pharmacists. One was a compulsive liar and the other refused to give out the morning after pill because of his (Christian) beliefs.

Must be a profession that attracts the, uh... let's call them eccentrics.

About gravity:

Graffito on the wall of the men's washroom, in a motel in, of all places Watson Lake, Yukon Territory, in among all the expected stuff like "For a good time call Brenda at xxx-xxxx", was this gem:

THERE IS NO GRAVITY. THE EARTH SUCKS.

As good a theory as any other I suppose . . .

This Live Science article lists 8 ways the world would be different if the earth were truly flat ...
8 ways life would get weird on a flat Earth

Just how strange would the world be if it were flat?

Earth — the blue marble — is our spherical home. But what if Earth were flat? After all, some people truly believe in this retrograde idea. How would everyday life function? Would it function at all? We explore how much of an oddball, or "oddslice" Earth would be if it were flat and whether there are any advantages to living on a strange disk with the sun and moon rotating overhead like a cosmic carousel. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/flat-earth-weird-effects.html

Back