• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tales Of The Devil

A

Anonymous

Any suggestions??

Does any1 know of any really good spooky tales of or about the "devil", cuz I'm doing some research into this for a story I'm writing. Not to sound pompous or arrogant or anything. I have found one so far that's called "The Devil's Footprints" (1855, Devon, England) where this gent found cloven hoof like prints seemingly "scorched" into the snow leading to nowhere in particular. these hoofprints would reach a wall and seem to pass right through onto the other side without disturbing the snow on top of the wall. The prints were also found on rootops and seemed to go on for miles. Spooky, huh?

So if any1 knows of any stories like these and/or similar stories where you get a gate-to-hell-in-a-lost-room-kind-a-thing, could they please let me know?

Verchiel, the wandering mollusc.:devil:

cloven feet

Thankyou muchly, bud!

They may well be very useful to me.

Thankyou once again.

Anyone else got any useful suggestions?
:_pished:

The black slave Tituba was one of the few accused witches at Salem in 1692 who actually admitted to being a witch, and described her encounter with the devil in detail, describing 'it' as a large furry animal with a long snout.

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/etcbi...eng/oldsalem&tag=public&part=13&division=div1

Also the account is summed up in Gragg's "The Salem Witch Crisis" (p53, and all of the chapter called "The Devil Hath Been Raised").

hmmm

Tituba....are we talking about the character in the Crucible by Arthur Miller, or was this Tituba actually a real person that Miller based his character on?

Tituba was a real person. See the link above for her trial. She also reveals that witches do indeed ride on broomsticks and wear black shawls :rolleyes:

As far as I know, the common interpretation is that she was either mad already or thought, "I've been charged with being a witch, they'll say I'm a witch, so I may as well give them a good show"...

chuckle

good point!

It's like only really sane people can act insane and vice versa!:rofl: :rofl:

You know, it's funny how things can be interpreted falsely or differently by different people all the while utterly justified in their own belief structure. If that makes any sense. There's a good example of this in Red Dwarf, that's if you or anyone else knows what Red Dwarf is.

inkedmagiclady said:
What's the red dwarf? I thought it was a star.

Red Dwarf is very good British Sci-fi comedy. The eponymous 'Red Dwarf' is a vessel owned by the Jupiter Mining Company; most of the action is set on board. It's damned funny.

Official site here: http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/

A film is on the cards in the next year or three. :yeay:

EDIT: As an aside, has anyone else ever thought that Captain Buttock's avatar is not entirely disimilar from Dwayne Dibbley?

The Yithian said:
Red Dwarf is very good British Sci-fi comedy. The eponymous 'Red Dwarf' is a vessel owned by the Jupiter Mining Company; most of the action is set on board. It's damned funny.

Official site here: http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/

A film is on the cards in the next year or three. :yeay:

EDIT: As an aside, has anyone else ever thought that Captain Buttock's avatar is not entirely disimilar from Dwayne Dibbley?

No wonder I didn't remember it. I was born in the wrong country! :)

inkedmagiclady said:
No wonder I didn't remember it. I was born in the wrong country! :)

Still worth a watch if it makes it to satellite or cable or across the pond or something. I'm not sure how the comedy would stike an American...you may love it but it isn't Friends...;)

I know a lot of Aussies are becoming converts. :cool:

I had a Dwayne Dibley t-shirt and everyone in the family wore it at one time or another.
Disappeared when the ex left...........:confused:

escargot said:
I had a Dwayne Dibley t-shirt and everyone in the family wore it at one time or another.
Perhaps he drew a beard on it and now uses it as a form of photographic ID?

escargot said:
The Swine! :mad:

The Yithian said:
I'm not sure how the comedy would stike an American...you may love it but it isn't Friends...;)
No.

However horrible and unlikeable the characters in 'Red Dwarf' become, you do end up liking them.

Plus, they are quite rounded and three dimensional characters. :p

Red Dwarf movie

well, da movie of Red Dwarf is due to start shooting next march apparently, according to Craig Charles(aka Dave Lister). They have a budget of 20,000,000 quid, so it should be fairly interesting to see what they come up with. Would be cool to work on the set!

It's funny how my thread about satanic tales turned into a thread about red dwarf. Oh and there was an american version of red dwarf that they did for a pilot.....aaaaand it flopped big time. Mainly because they tried to convert brit humour into american....it just doesn't work!!

Anyone heard of Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy?

:spinning :_pished:

Re: Red Dwarf movie

Verchiel said:
Anyone heard of Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy?
I hope so, otherwise my recent H2G2 comment on another thread will sail over many people's heads! :)

Re: Re: Red Dwarf movie

rynner said:
I hope so, otherwise my recent H2G2 comment on another thread will sail over many people's heads! :)

Don't worry Rynner, we understood. I was tempted to make a small pun on the mention of "number 1" in your post (in the absence of Captain Buttock), but I was too scared as I'd just been told off for my flippancy ;)

Look for stuff on Robert Johnson. There's a legend that he sold his soul at the crossroads to the Devil in return for musical skill (something which he felt he lacked at the time).

Images of the devil

Back to the original point of the thread. *chuckle* :laughing:

I suppose in mythological stories the devil is often portrayed as similar to Pan, what with the cloven hooves and horns and such like!......AAAND as Bannik and InkedMagicLady mentioned, musically minded. Well, in accordance to the "Pan" pipes. Any reactions to this?

Verchiel, the over-bloated guppie.

No I didn't, thanks. From what I've heard 3 of the 4 members of Led Zeppeling sold their soul for musical skill also. One's son died, another died in his sleep, and I forget what happened to Jimmy Page. Think there's a connection between these tragedies and their ealier pact. Note: I'm just telling you what I heard not saying its true or anything.

Re: Images of the devil

Verchiel said:
Back to the original point of the thread. *chuckle* :laughing:

I suppose in mythological stories the devil is often portrayed as similar to Pan, what with the cloven hooves and horns and such like!......AAAND as Bannik and InkedMagicLady mentioned, musically minded. Well, in accordance to the "Pan" pipes. Any reactions to this?
Yes I think the Devil is an "evil" (in the Christian sense) version of Pan. Music and sex and other things associated with Pan/Devil are now viewed with suspicion by the religious establishment.

Hope this is coherent I'm in a rush, (breaktime).

Apparently some ancient celebrity muso ;) on hearing Paganini play said " no-one can play like that, he must be in league with the devil". Sets the precedent for heavy metal classikas.... and now over to Mr. J. Whitehead to elaborate on this story..:D

Shedding of intellect

Thanx to taras for your message. I will endeavour to flood the post board with silly messages to up my status from being dead!

Ha! Just joking. I'm not that pathetic!

Anyway, Paganini? that name rings a bell. I'm being an uncultured swine. Please explain to the ignorant neanderthal of prose.

:headbutt: :spinning

taras said:
The black slave Tituba was one of the few accused witches at Salem in 1692 who actually admitted to being a witch, and described her encounter with the devil in detail, describing 'it' as a large furry animal with a long snout...

The whole "black dog" thing is weird here, in context of the whole "Son of Sam" mind-possesing dog and the old man (poosibly) ritualisticly killed who had seen a legendary black dog in his youth...

Re: Shedding of intellect

Verchiel said:
Anyway, Paganini? that name rings a bell. I'm being an uncultured swine. Please explain to the ignorant neanderthal of prose.

An amazingly good Italian violinist of the late eighteenth/nineteenth century. He toured Europe generally amazing audiences, making money, wooing women and had a Kelly-esque assistant which helped breed the legends that the devil had granted him his amazing virtuosity.

Edit: if you know nothing else the music from The Southbank Show is an adaptation of one of his pieces. :)

peculiar link

there seems to be a peculiar link between Hitch Hiker's Guide and Alice in Wonderland. In case people were wondering I'm looking at The Yithian's quotes.

"Why sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice In Wonderland

sounds very close to.....

"If you've done six impossible things this morning, then why not round it off with breakfast at Milliways: The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe."

Does anyone else see the link or am I just being weird and as nonsensical as a dead pigeon? :splat:

Perhaps Douglas Adams read Alice in Wonderland. Nothing too sinister there.

Back