• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tall Dark Hooded Figure

Nemesis

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi, I recently saw a tall dark hooded figure, in a local park at dusk. It was about 8 metres away. I stood staring, when I could move I walked over to where it had been, and there was just a very skinny young tree, not at all the same shape. Has anyone else seen this, and been transfixed by it?

Yes, I've seen something similar. Judging by the surroundings, it was about 8 feet tall, a black, hooded grim reaper type figure. It was faceless, as far as I could see. Naturally, I assumed I was seeing things, and that it would disappear if I blinked, but it didn't. I watched it for about a minute, wondering what the heck was going on. Eventually I turned away. When I looked back, it was gone.

I was undergoing a lot of stress and depression at that time in my life, so I don't discount the possibility, even probability, that it was a stress-induced hallucination. Certainly no one else saw it (people were walking right by it, but appeared to see nothing) it couldn't have been a trick of the light - it was in an area lit by bright fluorescents. (This happened in my workplace at the time.)

Because sightings of such figures are supposed to foretell doom, I superstitiously worried what it meant for the future. However, nothing especially bad happened, at least nothing of which the seeds hadn't been sown long before. No one I knew died, or had anything terrible happen to them either, not for a long time.

Nemesis, I can't say what you saw, though of course the first thing to consider is that dusk is the most likely time for your eyes to play tricks. Maybe you could tell us what led up to seeing the figure, and what your feelings or thoughts were when looking at it. For instance, when I saw the figure - scary as it might sound - I wasn't frightened at all. I only wondered what on earth such a thing was doing standing in the rug department of our store! :p

Lucky lucky you! my dusk time vision misreads tend to be much more mundane. :glee:

Many years ago, myself and my gf at the time took a walk through Holyrood Park in Edinburgh. We'd visited the ruins of St Anthony's Chapel then descended to road level. She turned around and claimed to see a tall, hooded figure in black at the ruins and got really very agitated and wanted to get away from there ASAP. I didn't see anything.

Foretelling of doom? Well, that relationship was rather doomed...

I happened to mention this to my husband, and he reminded me about an incident that occurred years ago...

He was walking home from the university at dusk, when he saw this hideous, slouching figure of a man staring at him from the corner. There was no hooded robe, but he says it radiated a feeling of pure evil. He was frightened, as he imagined this was something about to attack him. He blinked, and it became a tree - the same old tree that he'd walked past hundreds of times.

No doubt this was his eyes playing tricks, but we both have a theory that sometimes such things are the unconscious mind's way of telling you something, either about your own state of mind or your surroundings. For example, that area wasn't the safest, and there may well have been some danger lurking around that he couldn't see. Hie may have sensed it, though, and so it presented him with a symbolic threatening image.

That's my theory. Not saying it's necessarily the correct one, of course.

hooded_monk_lg.jpg

Well....I have had a lot of stressful things go on in the last couple of months, but I felt calm and was enjoying the walk with the dogs.

I saw something that looked like a ' light' moving about, that's what drew my attention. Then I saw the figure, and just stood, staring for about a minute. My 9 year old son was stood a few metres away and I couldn't even call him back for a while. I tried to then I thought- " what is that? Who is that?" Initially I thought someone was playing with some sort of light or fancy phone light! Then I noticed it looked like it was behind black material, then I saw the figure. It was like 'it' or 'he' was looking at us...

When I called my son over to me, he seemed glued to the spot for a while, and said "wait a minute"... When he came over I said "is there someone there?" to him, and he said "It looks like the slender man"...!! He had only heard of that because someone had shown him that on youtube. As far as I know, that is a made up story to freak kids out?? I don't know if he was even looking at the same thing as me.

But I was so blown out by it that I had to walk over and have a closer look! ( I'm brave like that/ stupid!)

Now someone else has said it sounds like the slender man!!!! eeeeeeeek!

Intriguing......

UOTE="Ulalume, post: 1550472, member: 48913"]Yes, I've seen something similar. Judging by the surroundings, it was about 8 feet tall, a black, hooded grim reaper type figure. It was faceless, as far as I could see. Naturally, I assumed I was seeing things, and that it would disappear if I blinked, but it didn't. I watched it for about a minute, wondering what the heck was going on. Eventually I turned away. When I looked back, it was gone.

I was undergoing a lot of stress and depression at that time in my life, so I don't discount the possibility, even probability, that it was a stress-induced hallucination. Certainly no one else saw it (people were walking right by it, but appeared to see nothing) it couldn't have been a trick of the light - it was in an area lit by bright fluorescents. (This happened in my workplace at the time.)

Because sightings of such figures are supposed to foretell doom, I superstitiously worried what it meant for the future. However, nothing especially bad happened, at least nothing of which the seeds hadn't been sown long before. No one I knew died, or had anything terrible happen to them either, not for a long time.

Nemesis, I can't say what you saw, though of course the first thing to consider is that dusk is the most likely time for your eyes to play tricks. Maybe you could tell us what led up to seeing the figure, and what your feelings or thoughts were when looking at it. For instance, when I saw the figure - scary as it might sound - I wasn't frightened at all. I only wondered what on earth such a thing was doing standing in the rug department of our store! :p[/QUOTE]

I happened to mention this to my husband, and he reminded me about an incident that occurred years ago...

He was walking home from the university at dusk, when he saw this hideous, slouching figure of a man staring at him from the corner. There was no hooded robe, but he says it radiated a feeling of pure evil. He was frightened, as he imagined this was something about to attack him. He blinked, and it became a tree - the same old tree that he'd walked past hundreds of times.

No doubt this was his eyes playing tricks, but we both have a theory that sometimes such things are the unconscious mind's way of telling you something, either about your own state of mind or your surroundings. For example, that area wasn't the safest, and there may well have been some danger lurking around that he couldn't see. Hie may have sensed it, though, and so it presented him with a symbolic threatening image.

That's my theory. Not saying it's necessarily the correct one, of course.
Yes, I decided to take it as a 'warning'. Then my mind went all over the place!

This is all quite interesting. There's some kind of archetype of fear here, JRR's black riders, "Oh whistle and I'll come to you my lad" and so on, never mind our friend 'Death' with his cloak hood and scythe.

Well....I have had a lot of stressful things go on in the last couple of months, but I felt calm and was enjoying the walk with the dogs.

I saw something that looked like a ' light' moving about, that's what drew my attention. Then I saw the figure, and just stood, staring for about a minute. My 9 year old son was stood a few metres away and I couldn't even call him back for a while. I tried to then I thought- " what is that? Who is that?" Initially I thought someone was playing with some sort of light or fancy phone light! Then I noticed it looked like it was behind black material, then I saw the figure. It was like 'it' or 'he' was looking at us...

When I called my son over to me, he seemed glued to the spot for a while, and said "wait a minute"... When he came over I said "is there someone there?" to him, and he said "It looks like the slender man"...!! He had only heard of that because someone had shown him that on youtube. As far as I know, that is a made up story to freak kids out?? I don't know if he was even looking at the same thing as me.

But I was so blown out by it that I had to walk over and have a closer look! ( I'm brave like that/ stupid!)

Now someone else has said it sounds like the slender man!!!! eeeeeeeek!

Intriguing......

Hmmm...very interesting that your son saw it, too. That would rule out your eyes deceiving you. You both must have seen something. The question is what...:eek:

Hmmm...very interesting that your son saw it, too. That would rule out your eyes deceiving you. You both must have seen something. The question is what...:eek:

Indeed... That's exactly where I got to last night. It sunk in that something obviously was 'there'. Then you jump to "but..what was it?"... I think I had blanked it out that my son had seen something too, because at the time I wanted to get him away and home. I kept telling him that 'sometimes our eyes play tricks', like you do to kids. I said that I thought I'd seen something too, then walked over to where 'it' had been just to make sense of it.

We both 'see things' sometimes. But this one really grabbed me. I wasn't frozen with fear, I was just kind of mesmerized by it, and strangely, it seems my boy was too. When I managed to call out to him to come to me, my voice sounded strange, as if the air had gone still... that's the only way I can describe it.

It certainly got our attention...

This is all quite interesting. There's some kind of archetype of fear here, JRR's black riders, "Oh whistle and I'll come to you my lad" and so on, never mind our friend 'Death' with his cloak hood and scythe.

Yeah, that's the first thing my work mate said when I mentioned it, he said "That's Death, the Grim Reaper", and I just looked at him in deep thought. I didn't see a scythe though, maybe he keeps it in a pocket!? ;)

But It is definitely a theme- the hooded, dark faceless figure. Scary because of the dark cloak and no face that can be seen, so it's 'hidden' and unknown under the hood.... Mysterious

Yeah, that's the first thing my work mate said when I mentioned it, he said "That's Death, the Grim Reaper", and I just looked at him in deep thought. I didn't see a scythe though, maybe he keeps it in a pocket!? ;)

But It is definitely a theme- the hooded, dark faceless figure. Scary because of the dark cloak and no face that can be seen, so it's 'hidden' and unknown under the hood.... Mysterious

I checked around online for accounts of similar sightings, and surprisingly there were quite a few. Despite the figure being traditionally associated with death (or some other unpleasant thing), most of the personal accounts mentioned that nothing bad had come of it, despite expectations that it might. That in itself is kind of interesting, but another theory that came up is that these were forms of "shadow people". That hadn't even occurred to me before, but there might be something to it.

I don't know if you've heard of shadow people, but they've been a hot topic on the board. My computer is too slow right now to paste any relevant links, but if you do a search you'll find quite a few stories. Of course, that still leaves the question of what they are, but it might give you some food for thought.

I checked around online for accounts of similar sightings, and surprisingly there were quite a few. Despite the figure being traditionally associated with death (or some other unpleasant thing), most of the personal accounts mentioned that nothing bad had come of it, despite expectations that it might. That in itself is kind of interesting, but another theory that came up is that these were forms of "shadow people". That hadn't even occurred to me before, but there might be something to it.

I don't know if you've heard of shadow people, but they've been a hot topic on the board. My computer is too slow right now to paste any relevant links, but if you do a search you'll find quite a few stories. Of course, that still leaves the question of what they are, but it might give you some food for thought.

Thankyou Ulalume, I have only recently heard of 'shadow people', and don't know anything about them. I'll have a little looksee. Any info is good, and really interesting. I didn't want to post the thread in the 'Ghosts' section as I don't think that's what it was.

There is someone I know who is terminally ill, but that's no 'surprise' that they'll be passing over at some point soonish, so it wouldn't make sense to link it to that. Also I have known a few people that have passed over in the last few years and have never seen this figure before......

Going back to warnings, there was an issue with someone at work playing games around that time. When I first noticed the figure It was because of the moving light...then I thought it was someone holding a phone. There was a phone involved with the person at work. Not long after, I gave the phone back because I'm not playing games. But that may have just been me picking up vibes like I do.

Again, strange that my son also saw it....

I will look up Shadow People.

Which item gets bumped to let the scythe on? toothpick? item for getting horses hooves out of boy scouts?

The corkscrew maybe? Most bottles have a screw top now

I think I have a random sharp pointy thing. Not the awl (which also has a hole in it so you can sew things).

I've only ever used it to pass time by wondering what it's for......

I think I have a random sharp pointy thing. Not the awl (which also has a hole in it so you can sew things).

I've only ever used it to pass time by wondering what it's for......
It's probably a Marlin spike. Although (allegedly) used for getting boy scouts out of horses' hooves, it is actually a nautical tool used by sailors for splicing ropes and wire, and making servings and whippings, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlinspike

I asked a professional. His reply:

I FIND THERE IS AN ONGOING NEED TO RETAIN THE POINTY SPIKY THING FOR REMOVING FOREIGN OBJECTS FROM HORSES' HOOVES. BINKY, MY HORSE, OFTEN THANKS ME FOR IT AS OUR WORK TAKES US TO OFTEN DIFFICULT PLACES. THERE ARE MANY FOREIGN OBJECTS ON BATTLEFIELDS, FOR INSTANCE, THAT CAN GET INTO A HORSE'S HOOF. AND WE ONCE ATTENDED A MASS SLAYING AT A BOY SCOUT JAMBOREE. A MESSY BUSINESS, ESPECIALLY FOR BINKY. IS THAT EVERYTHING NOW? RITE OF ASHE-KENTE OVER? THANK YOU. YOU HAVE THIRTY YEARS LEFT, BY THE WAY. USE THEM WISELY.

I remember walking home through Norwich, late at night, in an interestingly altered state of consciousness. (Student. Three in the morning. You know. that sort of ASC)

In the circumstances I was sensitised to shifting patterns of light and darkness, especially under and around street lamps as I walked past them and the relative patterns were consistently shifting. Nobody human was around and it was very quiet. It wasn't too difficult to grasp that I was getting visual events on the margins of actual hallucinations: but approaching a distant street lamp, sensing somebody standing underneath it, then more than half-glimpsing the tall stranger with the hidden face - again and again and again. Particularly strong at the Fiveways, as I recall (that's a five-branched crossroads nearby to UEA). The association of the eldritch and crossroads?

All kinds of weirdness is associated with crossroads.

Back