• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A popular contender for the world's tallest palm tree.

FRWRgKsakAAuLQi.jpeg.jpg

It's a 120 year-old, 50-meter-tall Quindío wax palm growing in the Cocora Valley, Colombia.

A popular contender for the world's tallest palm tree. ...

By way of comparison ... The newly-crowned world's tallest papaya tree is only 47 feet, 8.8 inches tall.
Brazilian farmer's 47-foot, 8.82-inch papaya tree breaks world record

A Brazilian farmer earned a Guinness World Record when a papaya tree on his property was officially measured at 47 feet and 8.83 inches tall, making it the tallest in the world. ...

The ... height was recorded as 47 feet and 8.83 inches. The height surpassed the previous Guinness World Record for tallest papaya tree, which was a 46-foot, 2.33-inch papaya tree grown by Jhantu Paul in India. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...ld-Records-tallest-papaya-tree/7411652124256/

After much planning and difficult travel researchers finally reached the tallest known tree in the Amazon.

TallestTreeInAmazonReachedOutOfCanopy.jpg
We've Finally Reached The Tallest Tree in The Amazon 3 Years After Its Discovery

After three years of planning, five expeditions, and a two-week trek through dense jungle, scientists have reached the tallest tree ever found in the Amazon rainforest, a towering specimen the size of a 25-story building.

The giant tree, whose top juts out high above the canopy in the Iratapuru River Nature Reserve in northern Brazil, is an angelim vermelho (scientific name: Dinizia excelsa) measuring 88.5 meters (290 feet) tall and 9.9 meters (32 feet) around – the biggest ever identified in the Amazon, scientists say.

Researchers first spotted the enormous tree in satellite images in 2019 as part of a 3D mapping project.

A team of academics, environmentalists, and local guides mounted an expedition to try to reach it later that year.

But after a 10-day trek through difficult terrain, exhausted, low on supplies, and with a team member falling ill, they had to turn back.

Three more expeditions to the reserve's remote Jari Valley region, which sits at the border between the states of Amapa and Para, reached several other gigantic trees, including the tallest Brazil nut tree ever recorded in the Amazon – 66 meters. ...

But the enormous angelim vermelho remained elusive until the September 12-25 expedition, when researchers traveled 250 kilometers (155 miles) by boat up rivers with treacherous rapids, plus another 20 kilometers on foot across mountainous jungle terrain to reach it. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/weve-f...ree-in-the-amazon-3-years-after-its-discovery

Er....I might have mentioned it 'upthread' somewhere, but 'Hyperion' is recognised as the worlds tallest tree.

At time of filming this (below) it was measured at 379.1 feet.
The Giant Sequoia is thought to be between 700 and 800 years old.

Er....I might have mentioned it 'upthread' somewhere, but 'Hyperion' is recognised as the worlds tallest tree.

At time of filming this (below) it was measured at 379.1 feet.
The Giant Sequoia is thought to be between 700 and 800 years old.

Impressive. I'd like to see that in person.

<triggered>

Grr.....'Big Ben' is the bell, not the clock, or the tower, which is The Elizabeth Tower, part of the Royal Palaces of Westminster.

It should read "Elizabeth Tower" - "alta horologium turrim".

Redwood bark is so soft and spongy that you can punch it with no risk of injury. Some are now adorned with notices asking you not to punch them as it harms the tree, I have my doubts but I suppose if everyone does it....

Anyway if you headbut a large conifer and walk away unharmed chances are it was a Redwood.

Also noticed that the tallest tree in Europe is an Australian native species. I thought I'd posted on here but I can't find it; it has been said that other species may have been taller than the various Redwoods but were victims of logging. There are pictures of horsemen (for scale) under Eucalyptus which may have been taller and it has been said that some Douglas Fir were taller if not as massive. Eucalyptus are generally quick growers so that may be answered in a few decades.

This redwood is in Scadbury Park, Chislehurst, Kent, where I used to live. I took these photos in 2005. It's on the redwoodworld list.

Attachments

• CRW_9824 -1.jpg
    CRW_9824 -1.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 4
  • CRW_9825 -1.jpg
    CRW_9825 -1.jpg
    728 KB · Views: 4
  • CRW_9826 -1.jpg
    CRW_9826 -1.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 4
Back