• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tattoos

At a music festival a few years ago I was suprised when a bloke in front us took his shirt off to reveal a huge tattoo across his back reading...

Eliots

Anyone have any idea what this could mean? It seems unlikely to be a kid's name, etc, given the plural.

Quake42 said:
At a music festival a few years ago I was suprised when a bloke in front us took his shirt off to reveal a huge tattoo across his back reading...

Eliots

Anyone have any idea what this could mean? It seems unlikely to be a kid's name, etc, given the plural.

Maybe he's the property of Missy Eliott?

Or maybe some strange gang of modern poetry lovers, who roam the streets quoting"The Waste Land" at terrified citizens, and getting into rumbles with the Ezras (Pound fans)?

TJ_Honeysuckle said:
Or maybe some strange gang of modern poetry lovers, who roam the streets quoting"The Waste Land" at terrified citizens, and getting into rumbles with the Ezras (Pound fans)?

LOL could happen.

It jogged my memory and this dropped out:

www.ineradicablestain.com/skin.html

Certianly could explain a number of apparently odd tattoos. Human stupidity still accounts for the bulk of them though.

I saw a bloke on the bus recently, no shirt, and on his back were tattooed various words in a very childlike scribble. One of them was "SATERN". I couldn't figure out whether he was an illiterate Satanist or an illiterate astronomer... :?

You can usually tell prison tats by the colours.
They are home made and the inks have an odd hue.
I am a biker and have loads of tats.
Full sleeves and back.
All black and grey.
Some have meaning some not and i will not give a damn what i look like at 70. ;)

I have five at the moment and am in the process of having two more designed for me, one being a full sleeve.

I currently work part-time in a tattoo studio and am considering taking up the offer of an appreticeship.

I love all of the pieces I have so far and have no regrets over any of them.

:D

jemstar555 said:
I have five at the moment and am in the process of having two more designed for me, one being a full sleeve.

I currently work part-time in a tattoo studio and am considering taking up the offer of an appreticeship.

The offer of an apprenticeship?? I'd give my right arm to do an apprenticeship at a good tattoo studio. I was looking up on tinterweb about learning to tattoo, and every site said that getting into apprenticeship with a good shop is as rare as rocking horse poo (and as hard). Like gold dust they are apparently. Do it!

kirmildew said:
jemstar555 said:

The offer of an apprenticeship?? I'd give my right arm to do an apprenticeship at a good tattoo studio. I was looking up on tinterweb about learning to tattoo, and every site said that getting into apprenticeship with a good shop is as rare as rocking horse poo (and as hard). Like gold dust they are apparently. Do it!

Know exactly what you mean!! We haven't been open very long but we get at least one person every day asking for an apprenticeship.

Problem is, I've just left my job to start out on my own as a web designer and now this offer has come along. I just don't know what to do!!

Quake42 said:

Eliots

A bit of a stretch, but maybe reference to the multi-name Karen Eliot? There's not actually one Eliot, so really its actually Eliots? I know of at least one other board member who thinks on these lines and uses a multi-name.

Saw a nice TV prog t'other night about a Miami tattooist called Chris Nunez. Very artistic work. He did one on a woman's back of her eyes watching over her two children, in a rear-view mirror.

(You can tell he's not a gambler, though, as the spots on the dice he added to represent the children don't add up right! ;) )

escargot1 said:
Saw a nice TV prog t'other night about a Miami tattooist called Chris Nunez. Very artistic work. He did one on a woman's back of her eyes watching over her two children, in a rear-view mirror.

(You can tell he's not a gambler, though, as the spots on the dice he added to represent the children don't add up right! ;) )
Miami Ink on Discovery? They are the dogs bollocks, stunning artists. Not to mention Ami James being one of the finest specimens of manflesh I have seen in a long time. Oh just let me lick him! :wow:

He did one on a woman's back of her eyes watching over her two children, in a rear-view mirror

I read that as 'He did one on the back of a woman's eyes' :shock:

jemstar555 said:
Problem is, I've just left my job to start out on my own as a web designer and now this offer has come along. I just don't know what to do!!

No reason why you couldn't do both, if you're working part-time at the tat studio. It just needs careful time management.
I'd love to be a tattooist myself, but that'd mean I'd have to be covered in tats. Personally, I'd only want one or two.

Can't you combine both jobs? I had my first tattoo done by a local bloke who did tattoos in the morning and car-spraying in the afternoon. :lol:

He was a bit of an alky too. As the years went on, more in-the-know customers would turn up early, before the shakes kicked in.

best tattoo I ever saw was on this Kiwi bloke's back in a night-club in Sydney. It was a fairly good re-production of the Vitruvian Man by Leonardo da Vinci. It covered nearly all of his back. Can't remember if I asked him how long it had taken.

I've got one myself of a little cat curled up asleep on my right shoulder blade

I saw what I would consider the most pointless tattoo a few days ago. A girl had a tattoo which was just three black squares running down her arm, each about 5 cm wide(2 inches). No special pattern or colors in them, just solid black squares with about half an inch between them.

Xanatico said:
I saw what I would consider the most pointless tattoo a few days ago. A girl had a tattoo which was just three black squares running down her arm, each about 5 cm wide(2 inches). No special pattern or colors in them, just solid black squares with about half an inch between them.

People make similar comments about one of the tattoos on legs. To them it's just a series of 4 slightly off-set, black rectangles and assume it's a cover-up of some kind, when in fact, it's actually the Blag Flag logo.

So, who knows what it represents to her?

Homemade/prison tats maybe? (Though I have no idea if incarcerated women go in for the DIY tattoo stuff as well).

Blag Flag, is this a popular rock and roll combo?

escargot1 said:
Blag Flag, is this a popular rock and roll combo?
I believe they are all the rage with some of the hip young kids...
Twice I have been at Download when Henry Rollins has been there doing spoken word and twice I have missed him. Fuck. :evil: And last time he was supposed to have been bloody fab. Big pooey pants!!

chockfullahate said:
black flag, not blag flag surely?
Thought thats what it said, :oops:
Perhaps Blag Flag are another popular beat combo

chockfullahate said:
black flag, not blag flag surely?

Yes, it was a typo, but I presumed people would understand what I meant and didn't bother going back to edit. ;)

Back