• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

AHA!
I have found an 'edit' function in 'DeX' which does allow me to change the text as necessary.
A bit of a fiddle but it works.

Success.
I am now confident that VLC will indeed allow me to convert my WMA format files in WMP into the MP3 format that my Samsung recognises, and further to that, that I am able to rename any aspects of the Album/Performer/Composer etc etc data so that it will appear correctly on the screen on my mobile phone etc.

Thank you all for your help with this.
The actual renaming procedure is the most tiresome part as (as far as I can tell at present) I have to process each track individually, but at least it can be done.

Only about another 330+ albums to convert.
See you in 2024.

*Further update*
I have today converted multiple albums. It is a most tiresome task. But rewarding in that I end up with an ever expanding collection of music on my phone.
I find that some albums will convert all the tracks correctly numbered, correctly titled, and with all the associated information about things like 'composer' and 'release date' all intact and populating the correct fields - however, I have to check every single converted album and track to make sure that it says the right thing in the right place when it re-saves the converted MP3 file to Windows Media Player. It quite often will split out one or two tracks into a separate album title that is totally incorrect (for some reason) so I have to manually edit it to read correctly.
Once all the edits are done and I have checked that the tracks are numbered in the right order, the 'drag and drop' to the 'sync' area works faultlessly, and then it's a simple matter of using the 'samsung music' link from 'DeX' to delete the extraneous information (like the additional track number that it inserts before each track title, for some reason) and add the 'artiste' as it refuses to include that.....and VIOLA.....
If only I had time to do several every day, it'd soon do the other 320+ albums....

The Mrs has bought her parents a Teclast F15 laptop computer. Neither of are thick at computers but we're trying to set it up for her folks and we just can't permanently get it off Spanish language. I've tried to find links on both Google and Youtube to solve this but no joy yet. Has anyone got any advice please?.

Which part is in Spanish? Everything or just the 'Windows' O.S.?

The Mrs has bought her parents a Teclast F15 laptop computer. Neither of are thick at computers but we're trying to set it up for her folks and we just can't permanently get it off Spanish language. I've tried to find links on both Google and Youtube to solve this but no joy yet. Has anyone got any advice please?.
Look at the Taskbar at the bottom. Next to the loudspeaker icon, it should say 'ES' or something like that.
Click on it to find menu options to switch language.
thingy.png

After changing to English, it should say 'ENG'.
If no English keyboard option is displayed in this little menu, click on the 'Language preferences' option.
In the pop-up window, click on 'Add a language' and select English (United Kingdom). Follow the on-screen instructions.
Once a language is installed, it can be selected in the 'Windows display language' drop-down.
Hope that does it.

Last edited:
Look at the Taskbar at the bottom. Next to the loudspeaker icon, it should say 'ES' or something like that.
View attachment 61723
Thank you Mytho .. her folks are still here and we're all on the wine atm so I'll be doing that tomorrow thanks mate X .. will be good for them to join the 21st century at last ..

apowselycrimbo22.jpg

View attachment 61723
If no English keyboard option is displayed in this little menu, click on the 'Language preferences' option.
In the pop-up window, click on 'Add a language' and select English (United Kingdom). Follow the on-screen instructions.
Once a language is installed, it can be selected in the 'Windows display language' drop-down.
Hope that does it.
Sweet, that's all worked mate. The Mrs says "give him (you) a kiss from me!" :)

Hmmmm....

Okay, so if you've been following my issues with getting the music from my PC onto my phone, you'll know where I'm up to.
I've used VLC successfully to start to convert my WMA files in Windows Media Player, into MP3 files, then changed any incorrect descriptions/track number/artist etc before using 'sync' to copy them to my phone.
After they are successfully copied over, it's then a reasonably straightforward, if tedious, task to correct any 'track number' issues etc so that the tracks display correctly on my phone.
Today I have managed to convert all the first albums that appear in the file (I'm finding it easier to just work my way down the list of albums, as they appear when I select 'multiple files' in VLC) up until the albums that are now being listed in the 'unknown' section ('unknown' as in 'artist').
The fist album was "....and justice for all" by Metallica.
Usual sequence followed. Selected the tracks in VLC under 'multiple files, clicked on 'convert' and 'start', and off it goes, doing the converting....all good.
Into Windows Media Player. There are the converted tracks, showing as MP3 versions, with some of the track numbers and track titles wrong, but never mind, I correct those.
Then I do the 'drag and drop' all those tracks into the 'sync' window, click on 'sync' and after a few moments it prompts me with the usual "All tracks sync'd - disconnect device".
Fine.

But then this is where the problem appears. I open the 'DeX' system so that I can interrogate my phone to correct the track numbers etc. like I have done for the previous albums, but where is the Metallica album???? It doesn't appear anywhere (the added albums are normally top of the list as I 'sort' by date added).
Maybe it's because the 'artist' is 'unknown'? Okay, so I go into file manager on my PC, create a new folder titled 'metallica' in the 'music' folders section, and cut & paste the contents from the 'unknown' folder, into the 'metallica' folder.
So that should be good.
I delete the previously converted MP3 files.
I run the VLC again on the same tracks but this time from the 'metallica' folder.
And do the same corrections of titles and track numbers etc as before in Windows Media Player.
And do the 'sync'.
And open 'DeX' again.
But still no 'metallica' appearing in the music in the phone.
I check all the files and folders in both the phone and the PC, even looking at 'properties' for the tracks and album, and can't find any difference in file types, or location paths, or 'security' etc etc to any of my other albums.
It just doesn't want to appear in the same way that other albums have, for some reason, and I'm now stumped.
There's clearly some random hidden something preventing the metallica tracks (and possibly other 'unknown' artists, yet to find out) from being visible on my phone.

Any ideas anyone?

I've just had a new laptop, since my (still perfectly serviceable) previous one has Windows 7, and I'm aware that's a version of Windows that does not, and will not, receive security updates.

Anyway, after a bit of searching and comparing specs, I've ended up with a shiny new Acer Aspire with Windows 10. So far, so good, but I see that it's currently set to "S" mode. I've read up on this a bit, and can't see any major downside (for my needs, at least) to leaving it in "S". I note that it can be easily switched to "normal", but that's a one-way process. Any thoughts about the pros or cons of W10 S that I might want to ponder?

Thanks in advance.

I've just had a new laptop, since my (still perfectly serviceable) previous one has Windows 7, and I'm aware that's a version of Windows that does not, and will not, receive security updates.

Anyway, after a bit of searching and comparing specs, I've ended up with a shiny new Acer Aspire with Windows 10. So far, so good, but I see that it's currently set to "S" mode. I've read up on this a bit, and can't see any major downside (for my needs, at least) to leaving it in "S". I note that it can be easily switched to "normal", but that's a one-way process. Any thoughts about the pros or cons of W10 S that I might want to ponder?

Thanks in advance.
Can't say I'd come across S mode before, but it seems to be a security feature that only allows you to use products that are in the MS app store. That is quite restrictive, but if all the products you will ever use are in the MS app store, then you could just leave it in S mode.

Can't say I'd come across S mode before, but it seems to be a security feature that only allows you to use products that are in the MS app store. That is quite restrictive, but if all the products you will ever use are in the MS app store, then you could just leave it in S mode.
Thanks - that was pretty much my reading of it, too, so it's reassuring to hear your take. I think I'd be minded to leave it in S unless or until it becomes restrictive.

Update on my post upthread....
Okay, so if you've been following my issues with getting the music from my PC onto my phone, you'll know where I'm up to.

I think I have stumbled upon expertly diagnosed the issue.

My initial attempt at converting the files for the 'Metallica' tracks must have actually been successful, but lodged those track titles etc within the memory of the phone, but not so that they are visible on the music display itself, or indeed the 'DeX' system that allows me to interrogate same from my PC, and their presence also prevented from re-entering files with the same titles (I will probably have to delete and re-rip).

Today I went to the next album within the list of 'Unknown' artists on Windows Media Player, which happened to be Jamiroquai (yeah, for some reason they aren't listed in any sort of order, probably being listed by 'rating' or something obscure).
So I edited the information for the 'artist' so that instead of 'unknown' it read correctly as 'Jamiroquai', and then checked in VLC to see if it could then locate the correct info.
But no, it was still showing that album in the 'unknown' folder.
So I went to 'documents' in 'File Manager' and checked the 'properties', and Lo and Behold......although I had over-written the 'artist' in Windows Media Player, it hadn't (of course) created a new folder for it to reside in.
So, I right-clicked, selected 'new', selected 'folder', named it 'Jamiroquai', then went to the 'Unknown' folder, found the Jamiroquai album, 'cut' that from where it was and 'paste' it into the new folder I had created.

And went back to VLC again to see if it could now identify it correctly, in the correctly titled 'artist' folder I had created.
And YES....success.
So I batch-converted those tracks, then in WMP I did the 'sync' to my phone, and all was as expected, with just the (now standard) slight editing of track titles and numbers etc to make them appear correctly on the phone.

It's such a pain in the arse neck to do this stuff when with all the modern technology it should be easier, not harder, to do.

Help....joined a classic rock forum recently. It says I am logged in as a member, but can't post until I follow the confirmation email link they are sending. But it never gets to me...and I have resent it to me multiple times.
So I registered under another name and email and tried again...same problem...the confirmation link never gets to me. Whats going on..?
btw..it didn't end up in the spam...I looked.
:dunno:

Help....joined a classic rock forum recently. It says I am logged in as a member, but can't post until I follow the confirmation email link they are sending. But it never gets to me...and I have resent it to me multiple times.
So I registered under another name and email and tried again...same problem...the confirmation link never gets to me. Whats going on..?
btw..it didn't end up in the spam...I looked.
:dunno:
Try contacting a mod on that forum via email. They may have an issue with their outgoing email server.

Try contacting a mod on that forum via email. They may have an issue with their outgoing email server.
I did...I sent the admin 3 emails explaining the issue...no response on those either.
I cant send pms either. I had to use a forum help email...tht was the only thing open.

I did...I sent the admin 3 emails explaining the issue...no response on those either.
I cant send pms either. I had to use a forum help email...tht was the only thing open.
Check your spam folder, just in case.

I suspect a software issue between theirs and Google. I use....this has happened to several older web sites lately and Google.
Alright, long shot... I don't know if you get into blocking domain names or particular addresses for spam, but I do (well, did, Hotmail made that impossible to do from your spam folder now).

A lot of spammers spoof other email addresses so instead of blocking the spammer, you're blocking a legitimate sender. For example, I have a number of spams that seem to come from my bank. If my bank really wanted to contact me, they could be blocked because I might have blocked the spoofed email which purported to come from them.

Is there any chance you blocked something from the (legitimate) sender, or marked it as spam?

It's just a thought, but it's worth checking your blocked list to make sure they aren't on there.

I know it sounds convoluted, but it's happened to me.

Alright, long shot... I don't know if you get into blocking domain names or particular addresses for spam, but I do (well, did, Hotmail made that impossible to do from your spam folder now).

A lot of spammers spoof other email addresses so instead of blocking the spammer, you're blocking a legitimate sender. For example, I have a number of spams that seem to come from my bank. If my bank really wanted to contact me, they could be blocked because I might have blocked the spoofed email which purported to come from them.

Is there any chance you blocked something from the (legitimate) sender, or marked it as spam?

It's just a thought, but it's worth checking your blocked list to make sure they aren't on there.

I know it sounds convoluted, but it's happened to me.
I'll ck......though I'm not sure how to even do that

I'll ck......though I'm not sure how to even do that
I don't know what email service you use, but you should have access to a list of senders that you (or they) have blocked. I'm afraid I can't say more as every email service is different. I hate to say it, but you may need to just poke around and see what you can find.

Back