• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

Buy a new printer time? .. (this isn't my printer btw, it's the Mrs's work tech support co worker 'putting it out there' tonight hoping someone can help)

Last edited:
Buy a new printer time? .. (this isn't my printer btw, it's the Mrs's work tech support co worker 'putting it out there' tonight hoping someone can help)
Maybe. Or maybe it just needs a part?

Has anyone got any idea why an office printer would be doing this please?
That'll be the printer head misaligned.
I expect it's a laser printer working off of the 'wax' blocks.
The fact it needs a new drive belt would suggest that instead of depositing the lased wax in the correct places it is just smearing the block across the page.

That'll be the printer head misaligned.
I expect it's a laser printer working off of the 'wax' blocks.
The fact it needs a new drive belt would suggest that instead of depositing the lased wax in the correct places it is just smearing the block across the page.
Cheers. I've just sent your suggestion on to her.

Has there been some sort of moratorium on podcasts being available outside of "apps"? Most of the ones I listen to will not play on many large scale sites, despite the newest episodes being constantly added and the sites updating every week. Most of the same podcasts will play on an app on my phone. Example:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-filmcast-aka-the-slashfilmcast/id281400220

I get a message about file not being found.

It's the most recent of a pretty big podcast and this is the Apple site, this is the case with multiple large podcast hosting sites - Stitcher, Podchaser, Audioboom etc The latter hung on later than the others but also went the same way, this is something that has happened over the past several months.

Last edited:
Has there been some sort of moratorium on podcasts being available outside of "apps"?
Not that I'm aware of. I used your link just now on my desktop and was able to get Ep. 725 to play, no problem.

Is this perhaps a mobile issue? I don't really browse on my phone but I could see a mobile version of a website trying to force you to use an app instead. I'd check but I just ran my phone out of juice so it's charging as we speak.

Not that I'm aware of. I used your link just now on my desktop and was able to get Ep. 725 to play, no problem.

Is this perhaps a mobile issue? I don't really browse on my phone but I could see a mobile version of a website trying to force you to use an app instead. I'd check but I just ran my phone out of juice so it's charging as we speak.

Which browser? The link fails on Chrome and doesn't even appear on my IE.

I presume they are both up to date, don't get any update notifications (Windows 10) but have had no other issues with either browser.

I found one of those tiny 'fit bit' wrist things on the pavement yesterday. What's blown my mind is that it's a touch screen/swipe one as well. With stuff like this and when I'm asking younger friends about them, I've started saying: "Pretend I've been in a coma since 1985 and I've just woken up. How the f**k does this thing work?".

I was swiping it last night and I think it's registered to somewhere in San Francisco. I know they're owned by people who're recording how much they walk around but can anyone here please tell me more about these devices please?. I can't find anywhere on it to plug a lead in to charge it up either. It might as well be a hover board to me.

I can't find anywhere on it to plug a lead in to charge it up either.
I'm guessing they are powered by 'will power' or 'body heat'.
Either that or some kind of remote docking station that recharges it through an inductive plate of some sort.
1686989646075.png

Are there two metal studs on the back? My fitness band has a sort of sheath that clips over the back to recharge it.

I found one of those tiny 'fit bit' wrist things on the pavement yesterday. What's blown my mind is that it's a touch screen/swipe one as well. With stuff like this and when I'm asking younger friends about them, I've started saying: "Pretend I've been in a coma since 1985 and I've just woken up. How the f**k does this thing work?".

I was swiping it last night and I think it's registered to somewhere in San Francisco. I know they're owned by people who're recording how much they walk around but can anyone here please tell me more about these devices please?. I can't find anywhere on it to plug a lead in to charge it up either. It might as well be a hover board to me.
Just put it back where you found it and pretend you never found it in the first place. Problem solved.

Are there two metal studs on the back? My fitness band has a sort of sheath that clips over the back to recharge it.
There's 3 little studs and also something that looks like sounds will come out of it Stu. Thanks mate and how can I go about ordering a charger for it please? .. there's no writing on it so I'm uncertain. The one I've found looks very similar to the one in Trev's above picture.

Take a picture of it against a white background with your phone, and then do a 'reverse image search' on google. That should at least help you identify it by shape and design alone.
Thanks. I'll try that. I've got a ton on white paper.

While we wait for Swifty to emerge, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century, can anyone recommend me a decent app for identifying trees, flowers etc? There's so much in our garden and local parks that I'm ignorant of, and I'd like to plug this gap in my knowledge!

While we wait for Swifty to emerge, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century, can anyone recommend me a decent app for identifying trees, flowers etc? There's so much in our garden and local parks that I'm ignorant of, and I'd like to plug this gap in my knowledge!
Seek by inaturalist is free and ok. I've not had too many false results, when it doesn't know it gets vague rather than trying to force an id.

Back at Christmas I bought my granddaughter's 12 year old chromebook off her, and have been using it happily ever since.

I started by signing out after I'd used it, then my son and daughter said I didn't need to do this, so I stopped!

I'm suddenly having problems accessing my msn site /hot mail (as it used to be called).
I can only do it by signing out of the chromebook and signing back in.
I then get the one chance, and that's it.
After that I get the 'not secure' message up in the top left corner'.

I feel this is more to do with the elderly chromebook than msn, but I don't know!
I certainly haven't done anything different that I'm aware of.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Back at Christmas I bought my granddaughter's 12 year old chromebook off her, and have been using it happily ever since.

I started by signing out after I'd used it, then my son and daughter said I didn't need to do this, so I stopped!

I'm suddenly having problems accessing my msn site /hot mail (as it used to be called).

I feel this is more to do with the elderly chromebook than msn, but I don't know!

Is this an out-of-date or overly secure browser issue?

Check it's the latest version of Chrome and/or check the security settings aren't too fussy?

Maybe all the software needs an update?

I suspect I either need for ir to be looked at by someone who knows what they're doing, or a new chromebook!

Should one use a VPN when online at forums ,etc...?
I have never been hacked or aything but I see more and more people using VPN's.
Is it a good thing and what are the negative aspects?

Should one use a VPN when online
I think that 'online' is the only function of a VPN.
They're good for getting around 'region specific' stuff, like (eg) videos that aren't available in your country, and for getting pricing on things like flights at the cost they would be from another country for the same flight (quite often if you book a flight online in the UK from, say, Brazil to Australia, for a future journey you intend to take, it will cost much more than if you are a Brazilian booking the same flight from your home in Brazil).
However, some popular websites and online services prevent access from VPN IP addresses as they cannot be traced to the individual if one is trying to carry out 'covert' operations.

However, some popular websites and online services prevent access from VPN IP addresses as they cannot be traced to the individual if one is trying to carry out 'covert' operations.

Please be aware that using a VPN to access this forum can and often does cause complications.

So...I'm still wondering then why people are using them....is a malware/virus blocker enough then to prevent someone hacking you?

So...I'm still wondering then why people are using them....is a malware/virus blocker enough then to prevent someone hacking you?
I think it's got more to do with hiding your IP address, which is supposed to keep you that little bit safer.

I think it's got more to do with hiding your IP address, which is supposed to keep you that little bit safer.
So then it sounds like they are not really needed and are just another income stream for companies.

Back