• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

Not sure what my pipes are made of, pretty certain it's not iron, looks like clay. Reckon they were put in around 1970 when the cottages were converted en masse from one down, two up farmworker's dwellings with the toilet down the garden, to having indoor bathrooms and an actual kitchen (the house two down from me still has the massive iron range in the living room where they will have cooked and lived until the kitchen extension was built on the back).
Yes, most underground soil/drain is earthenware or now plastic. The famous pottery company Royal Doulton started off doing drains as Doulton & Lambeth in salt glazed pottery which is quite hard wearing.

NOW it has an upstairs upstairs. When it was built it just had the one upstairs. I'm not sure when the upstairs upstairs was added. I am now tempted to put a ladder in the loft to reach some tall shelves, so that I can have an upstairs upstairs upstairs.

NOW it has an upstairs upstairs. When it was built it just had the one upstairs. I'm not sure when the upstairs upstairs was added. I am now tempted to put a ladder in the loft to reach some tall shelves, so that I can have an upstairs upstairs upstairs.
And an upstairs, upstairs, upstairs, understairs? Good grief, where will this all end? Upstairs I suppose. Somewhere upstairs anyway.

Doesn't 'stairs' seem an odd word when you say it a few times? Mind you, I suppose any word does if repeated a lot.

And an upstairs, upstairs, upstairs, understairs? Good grief, where will this all end? Upstairs I suppose. Somewhere upstairs anyway.

Doesn't 'stairs' seem an odd word when you say it a few times? Mind you, I suppose any word does if repeated a lot.
Blocks of flats are going to blow your mind...

As quite an infrequent user of FB (even less prolific now), why is it that you can pm/dm some people you are not friends with and they receive your message, but others don't? Is it a setting on their side that needs to be altered?

As quite an infrequent user of FB (even less prolific now), why is it that you can pm/dm some people you are not friends with and they receive your message, but others don't? Is it a setting on their side that needs to be altered?
This is probably the wrong place to be asking about FB. You're relying on one of our esteemed mods being awake, and knowledgeable enough about FB, to get anywhere near an answer.
Don't FB have hundreds and hundreds of mods in Bangalore or similar who could answer that for you?

This is probably the wrong place to be asking about FB. You're relying on one of our esteemed mods being awake, and knowledgeable enough about FB, to get anywhere near an answer.
Don't FB have hundreds and hundreds of mods in Bangalore or similar who could answer that for you?

Fine to ask here, but although I'm awake, I've never had a Facebook account.

Someone will likely come along and answer this, just give it a while longer.

Sorry - I'm no help ... I'm a (now retired) senior cyberspace pro, and I won't go anywhere near Facebook.

I only use it for local news really- mainly to keep an eye out on the criminal classes. You know- ''watch out, a dodgy southerner has been seen checking out houses'' etc.

It goes into a separate inbox, I think called 'message requests'. I guess some people check it and some don't.

EDIT: it seems you can choose an option not not receive requests.

Last edited:
It goes into a separate inbox, I think called 'message requests'. I guess some people check it and some don't.

EDIT: it seems you can choose an option not not receive requests.
I had an idea that something must have been different on Floyd's facebook account than mine as I've had a facebook account for years but I've never had that problem.

(I mainly use my facebook account to write poetry, talk to musicians & people about music, share my favourite music, talk to antique experts & historians, read what historians have to say, read books & talk about what books I've read & what I've written. Some of my facebook friends are twitter friends too. I was on twitter before I created a facebook account or before I went on forums. I was introduced to forums through twitter.)

I also stopped a short spell of Facebooking a long time ago, but I imagine - like most techy stuff now day's, the answer sits somewhere within 'Settings' tabs.

It's due to each profile's settings. My own profile allows other people to contact me via PM if they want, including if they're not friends of mine, but there are other settings that can change that. I could adjust things so that only friends of friends can contact me and so forth.

It's due to each profile's settings. My own profile allows other people to contact me via PM if they want, including if they're not friends of mine, but there are other settings that can change that. I could adjust things so that only friends of friends can contact me and so forth.
Right. - It is very annoying though to see that in some cases your message has been sent, but not delivered and seen/read.

On some profiles you also can't comment on their posts, but I have found one that I can, so I've written a note for them on there. Hopefully they'll see it.

Bit of annoyance. Recently Microsoft downloaded a very big update to my PC. When the dust had settled I discovered I'd lost Microsoft Office (Office 365) on my PC and I also appeared to have no way of directly editing my Word documents on my PC. Everything seems to have been migrated to something called the Cloud, which iIreally don't want: I'd quite like to have a local version of Word on my PC allowing me to directly open and edit documents here with no external agency involved. (to cut out an un-necessary middleman). This is important as i write a lot of fiction for places like FF Net and I'd rather upload them to the fiction site from my PC as I know the process backwards. Also if the Internet crashes then my ability to edit docs goes with it - having them here means I can work independently, offline.

Is there any way of doing this, getting full Word back on the PC and not centrally stored somewhere else?

Thanks!

Bit of annoyance. Recently Microsoft downloaded a very big update to my PC. When the dust had settled I discovered I'd lost Microsoft Office (Office 365) on my PC and I also appeared to have no way of directly editing my Word documents on my PC. Everything seems to have been migrated to something called the Cloud, which iIreally don't want: I'd quite like to have a local version of Word on my PC allowing me to directly open and edit documents here with no external agency involved. (to cut out an un-necessary middleman). This is important as i write a lot of fiction for places like FF Net and I'd rather upload them to the fiction site from my PC as I know the process backwards. Also if the Internet crashes then my ability to edit docs goes with it - having them here means I can work independently, offline.

Is there any way of doing this, getting full Word back on the PC and not centrally stored somewhere else?

Thanks!
I've heard of this. I don't know how to "get it back", but you can get a cheap "full fat" Office here

It's worth taking a look at LibreOffice, it's free...and pretty much does everything MsOffice does and will load/edit the same format files.
https://www.libreoffice.org/
I totally agree 'Coal.' It's also pretty powerful too, it's German and it all works pretty much without to many problems. I prefer it for writing; drawing, and the database - you just have to get to know your own way around. Updates are downloaded without problems to! And it's got an easy to use compression tool as well. . . and it's free, they do ask the user to donate if possible. I've been using it for quite a number of years, and I still am finding new things on it as the users can also feed in tech, which seems a great Idea.:twothumbs:

Last edited:
There is also it's close cousin Open Office - https://www.openoffice.org/
Either it or Libre are always my recomendation, I only have office because it's always been free for me to have and I have to support it at work.
I actually use open office to repair damaged and mangled Office files - both the free ones are actually more compatible with Office files than any version of Microsofts rubbish which often won't even load older versions of it's own files.

Last edited:

Thanks!
Have you got the original installation disk or files? Maybe try re-installing.
You might have to uninstall any existing Office licences.
The problem with 365 is that it's subscription-based, which is probably why this has happened.
Had you thought about buying a copy of the Home & Student version? It's got all the same functionality. Costs about £100 (one-time purchase, not subscription). It doesn't update unless you want it to, and doesn't require an 'always on' Internet connection (at least the copy I have doesn't).

I second that. It's not perfect, but it'll get you out of a hole until you can get Word sorted.
tbh I disabled 365 rather than pay the money, installed LibreOffice, but it's so nearly as agood as, I'll not go back. The only wrinkle that's annoying me right now is that the TOC isn't quite working as it did in MSWord, but I'll figure that out later.

tbh I disabled 365 rather than pay the money, installed LibreOffice, but it's so nearly as agood as, I'll not go back. The only wrinkle that's annoying me right now is that the TOC isn't quite working as it did in MSWord, but I'll figure that out later.
If you click 'Help,' you should see this window which will allow you to open or download TOC.
1657897788492.jpeg

If you click 'Help,' you should see this window which will allow you to open or download TOC.
View attachment 57121
Sid, appreciate it, but I really just meant that the Table of Contents field in Libra office operates a little differently to MSOffice and I need to figure out the wrinkles. The imported MSWord one now doesn't quite operate in the way I'm used to...it's a 'round tuit' thing.

Sid, appreciate it, but I really just meant that the Table of Contents field in Libra office operates a little differently to MSOffice and I need to figure out the wrinkles. The imported MSWord one now doesn't quite operate in the way I'm used to...it's a 'round tuit' thing.
Oh. . . I see. Nuffin's simple anymore is it!

Back